Caly 3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Caly 3.5

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I take the blade off, wipe it (pivot area especially obviously) and the liners down very well, reassemble and lube it (I use NanoOil). Many of my Calys have come in needing this step, afterwards they were perfect.

I will again say that my NON-CLAD Super Blue blade is also warped. This is not restricted to the laminated blades.

Very glad to hear you're set up now OP. The Calys are pretty amazing knives. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Yotehntr

Post by Yotehntr »

Donut wrote:I've had a couple rough Caly's in the past (it felt dry, not enough lube) and a little extra lube smoothed them right out.

Some other users say to wash them with soap and water, then lube them. I haven't had to do that yet.

Also, there was a bit of a fiasco with a youtuber commenting about the blades not being straight. The laminated ZDP blades found on the CF Caly 3 and CF Caly 3.5, if you lay them flat on a table, typically aren't perfectly straight. I think it is the nature of the laminated steel.
The blade seems fine as far as being straight, and your right a little lube is all it took. I'll be enjoying this one for a long time. :)
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I take the blade off, wipe it (pivot area especially obviously) and the liners down very well, reassemble and lube it (I use NanoOil). Many of my Calys have come in needing this step, afterwards they were perfect..... Cheers, Radioactive :)
OK you have real interested here, take the blade off?... thought everything was riveted together? The reason I'm so interested is I'm a predator call maker, I have all kinds of interesting materials that would make cool handles on this knife (like Ivory)... or Desert Ironwood.. etc. I could do a lot of playing with a few of the knives.
(one of the calls I make with desert ironwood and ivory)
RadioactiveSpyder

Nope, take the blade off by the (removable) pivot screw. You'll need a Torx bit of the right size (I'll go check, believe it's a T8). Scales are riveted, so sorry no scale swaps :(. You might consider a G10 Native 5 or other screwed model for the mods you want... ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

That is a STUNNING call by the way!! Wow!
Yotehntr

Post by Yotehntr »

Nice work! I really like the 2nd from the bottom (desert ironwood burl?). Well I have a Native, didn't notice that it was screw's instead of rivits. I have a '15 forum knife on the way too (Native 5). Image No telling what could happen there. Wish it could be done on the Caly... I guess it could but arrgh what a pain removing rivets, I don't see that happening in my near future. LOL
Yotehntr

Post by Yotehntr »

Posting at the same time, Thanks! So removing that screw the blade comes out?...no major problem with the spring?
RadioactiveSpyder

No issues for me with the spring on the Calys. It's very easy...

Yes, that's desert ironwood in that Native. You'd only be able to take the S90V forum knife's blade, you cannot scale swap the FRN models. You'll need the G10 version with the SS liners. :). Here are pictures of their innards.

Yotehntr

Post by Yotehntr »

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for the G10 versions then! Good info and great pics, thank you!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: I will again say that my NON-CLAD Super Blue blade is also warped. This is not restricted to the laminated blades.
I am afraid that warping is running in Caly family. There were quite a few report about warpage on Calypso and Calypso Jr. during my Spyderco addict life I owned about 10 Calys and never noticed warpage on any of them, but both of my original C54 were warped, especially PE. Probably something on gens level :)
Still Caly3/Caly3.5 are among the best production EDCs ever made.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Till now I hadn't heard about bent Caly blades. I have the ZDP Caly 3 and it's one of my favorites. It's also one that I didn't buy for a long time because the picture didn't look right. Gonna go check my blade now. Hang on. Ok I'm back. My blade looks perfect. Now that I think about it a bent blade would be obvious when sharpening it the first time. Seems like the tip and the heel of the edge would be on the stone and the middle would be lifted off the stone. The reverse would be the case after flipping the blade. Might depend on the angle you hold it at. I don't know. But that sounds like a problem that would effect sharpening. If that's the case wouldn't it effect the entire quality of the knife? That would go beyond a consmetic defect which I can live with. I only have knives I use so they get defects (scratches, dings, etc.) soon anyway. All the knives I carry most are comfortable to hold. But the Caly 3 is as good as it gets. Lots are as good, some are not as comfortable but none I've held feel "better" to me. I've never held a 3.5. Don't plan to get one right now because that blade length is a bit too long for my favorite EDC size. I do like to carry a second or third knife of different sizes along with whatever is in my RFP. RFP is my go-to pocket. So maybe I should check out a Caly 3.5 somtime. If it's as comfortable to use as the little guy it would be a fantastic "just a bit bigger" knife.

Jack
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never had an issue of warping on my Caly3 and this is the first I am hearing of this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

My SB 3.5... Doesn't seem to affect its cutting ability! ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Nope, take the blade off by the (removable) pivot screw. You'll need a Torx bit of the right size (I'll go check, believe it's a T8). Scales are riveted, so sorry no scale swaps :(. You might consider a G10 Native 5 or other screwed model for the mods you want... ;)

Hey you brought some for all of us! Thanks
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Yotehntr

Post by Yotehntr »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: My SB 3.5... Doesn't seem to affect its cutting ability! ;)
The one on the knife I sent back would have though, or at least made scratch's down the side of the blade. It was scraping down the liner from about 1 1/2" back from the tip. Metal on metal ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: My SB 3.5... Doesn't seem to affect its cutting ability! ;)
I don't know how you handle that. When making a draw cut from the choil to the tip of the blade, your cut is going to be in a whole 1/16" different position! You might as well be in a different zip code. :D

:p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

I must've lucked out because the pair I have are pretty much dead nuts on.

plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

I just received one of these from amazon and it is exactly the same. I think I will just return it to amazon and wait for another version to come out (not a CF fan, I like G10).
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I've had the same issues with my first CF/ZDP Caly 3.5.
The knife was replaced to a specimen with a non-warped blade, so everything is fine now.

RadioactiveSpyder

Beautiful pics as always Marcus, and one of Spyderco's sexiest models! :)

Hey Sal, where's our bolstered CF Damascus Caly 3.5?!? :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

plow_2 wrote:I just received one of these from amazon and it is exactly the same. I think I will just return it to amazon and wait for another version to come out (not a CF fan, I like G10).

You probably just got Yotehntr's return! :p
Going back to Caly.