Slysz Bowie love ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dubya3

Re: Slysz Bowie love ?

Post by dubya3 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Not sure where this $300 price is coming from... I routinely see them on the BF exchange for only about $210-$220. Plus before you give up on it just because of the price and you've never held one, you don't know what you're missing!
To be fair that's a used price, weather it's been used or not it's technically not BNIB.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

dubya3 wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Not sure where this $300 price is coming from... I routinely see them on the BF exchange for only about $210-$220. Plus before you give up on it just because of the price and you've never held one, you don't know what you're missing!
To be fair that's a used price, weather it's been used or not it's technically not BNIB.
I've seen a few NIB ones at that price too...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
dubya3 wrote:
I've seen a few NIB ones at that price too...
I'd probably grab one from a retailer at that price. The ones I've seen are all around $300 give or take $10
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Cutlery Shoppe has them at $275, Knifeworks at $280... Trust me, I'm not saying it's cheap that's for sure, but of the many higher end Spydies I've bought in the last two years, this one stands well above the rest. The Rubicon is a good comparison, very expensive and I'm not sure it's worth it... I have no similar quibble about the Slysz Bowie. Would I like to see the Bowie come at a better price tag (in G10 maybe)? Sure, but it wouldn't be the same knife, those beveled Ti handles are so nice!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Cutlery Shoppe has them at $275, Knifeworks at $280... Trust me, I'm not saying it's cheap that's for sure, but of the many higher end Spydies I've bought in the last two years, this one stands well above the rest. The Rubicon is a good comparison, very expensive and I'm not sure it's worth it... I have no similar quibble about the Slysz Bowie. Would I like to see the Bowie come at a better price tag (in G10 maybe)? Sure, but it wouldn't be the same knife, those beveled Ti handles are so nice!
How's the lockup/F&F on the Bowies? I never got the chance to actually handle one. Any possible comparison with the Sebenza?
Kniferbro

Post by Kniferbro »

Minibear453 wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Cutlery Shoppe has them at $275, Knifeworks at $280... Trust me, I'm not saying it's cheap that's for sure, but of the many higher end Spydies I've bought in the last two years, this one stands well above the rest. The Rubicon is a good comparison, very expensive and I'm not sure it's worth it... I have no similar quibble about the Slysz Bowie. Would I like to see the Bowie come at a better price tag (in G10 maybe)? Sure, but it wouldn't be the same knife, those beveled Ti handles are so nice!
How's the lockup/F&F on the Bowies? I never got the chance to actually handle one. Any possible comparison with the Sebenza?
In all honesty I carry it over my 25. My Seb is very slightly off center and although super smooth at the pivot the lockbar can make the action a little "jumpy" if that makes sense. My Slysz Bowie is perfectly centered, absolutely zero play (and I really crank on my knives to test them). Just a hair less smooth at the pivot than the Seb, but the lock bar/detent don't slow it down as much and is suppppper smooth to open and close. If I press the lock bar over the blade swings freely. It's an awesome knife!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea not sure where the 300 price is coming from, see them all the time in the 220-230 range. Totally worth it at that price, such a sweet spydie. Can't wait for the swayback.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Kniferbro wrote:
Minibear453 wrote:
In all honesty I carry it over my 25. My Seb is very slightly off center and although super smooth at the pivot the lockbar can make the action a little "jumpy" if that makes sense. My Slysz Bowie is perfectly centered, absolutely zero play (and I really crank on my knives to test them). Just a hair less smooth at the pivot than the Seb, but the lock bar/detent don't slow it down as much and is suppppper smooth to open and close. If I press the lock bar over the blade swings freely. It's an awesome knife!
I should probably try getting my hands on one then. One thing about the Sebenza is that the thumbstud doesn't come close to being as easy to use as the Spyderhole. My dream knife would be a CRK Spydie collaboration with CRK tolerances and clean lines, but Spydie hole and cutting ability (harder/better steel).
Kniferbro

Post by Kniferbro »

Minibear453 wrote:
Kniferbro wrote:
Minibear453 wrote:
I should probably try getting my hands on one then. One thing about the Sebenza is that the thumbstud doesn't come close to being as easy to use as the Spyderhole. My dream knife would be a CRK Spydie collaboration with CRK tolerances and clean lines, but Spydie hole and cutting ability (harder/better steel).
A dilemma I have faced MANY times is Sebenza 25 or Slysz Bowie. I'd switch back and forth all the time... I usually could forgive the centering and action on the 25 for a while, but what always pulled me back to the Bowie was the spyderhole. So much easier and reliable. I never fumble with a spyderhole, I can pop and flick them open a dozen different ways. With the Sebenza a lot of times I would slip off the stud especially if I was actually drawing the knife from my pocket and really using it, as opposed to me fondling it and getting "warmed up" and being able to open it one handed every time.

If I could change ONE thing on the Slysz Bowie it would be a slightly thicker blade. Its such a good cutter I would sacrifice a little slicing ability for a little bit more strength so I could really push it and see what it could handle :D.