Military vs Endura Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Military vs Endura Lock

Post by Doc Dan »

Does anyone have experience with both of these knives? I was thinking of buying a Military but I have the Endura already. Is the lock on the Military as strong as the lock on the Endura?
I would use such a knife cutting open cans, cutting poles for fishing (thus some tork), breaking down boxes, and general knife use. I do not abuse knives but do put some of them through their paces, so to speak.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holzfaeller

Re: Military vs Endura Lock

Post by Holzfaeller »

Cutting open cans, you say? Unless I read that incorrectly, I would recommend a can opener over a Military. A multi-tool may be a good accessory to your Endura.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

What type of Millie are you considering? The full Ti Millie with the RIL may feel a bit more secure than the G-10 Millie with the Walker Lock, especially considering the type of things you're cutting. (IIRC, the liners in the G-10 Millie is somewhere around .050-.060 thick, whereas the Ti Millie with The RIL would be considerably thicker). Having said that, I've never had a bit of trouble with either lock on my Millie or Endura (but I don't cut cans open either ;)).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Same as Spydienut I have never had issues with either lock.

My stainless Endura is about 15 years old and I have two Millies that have a little more then a year of hard use including a deployment to Afghanistan.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks. The reason I asked was that I generally mistrust liner locks. But I like the Millie and Spyderco does liner locks better than anybody. I prefer lock backs by a large margin, but, that millie is a real nice knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned several of both the C-36 Military and the Endura models over the years and the locking mechanisms on either model never posed any problems for me at all. Now I will admit that I do like the Military model much better because it just seems to be built tougher than the Endura>> for that reason I prefer it over the Endura model but the lock isn't even a consideration for me on either model.

I'm currently EDCing a M390 Military model and over the years I've heard a lot of trash talk about the liner lock of the Military model having problems but I'm here to tell you that I've owned and used at least 5 Military models over the years and I've never had a lock failure on any of my Military or Paramilitary models either for that matter.

Now when I used one of my full Spyderedged Endura models back in the mid 2000 decade I put that knife through hellish treatment and the lock held up great for the harsh treatment I was giving it. Then one day I took a Spyderhawk by mistake and found the fully serrated Spyderhawk to have several advantages over the Endura but again the locking mechanisms were not a factor for me at all on either of those models which had similar type locks.

One of my very favorite Spyders is the C-60 Ayoob model and it has a lock similar to the Endura and I've never had any problems with it either.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Doc Dan wrote:Thanks. The reason I asked was that I generally mistrust liner locks. But I like the Millie and Spyderco does liner locks better than anybody. I prefer lock backs by a large margin, but, that millie is a real nice knife.
The main problem is that generally, roughly speaking, liner locks are one of the easier locks to manufacture. This means a lot of cheap chinese companies will make a bad liner lock knife - since it's the most "efficient" knife to make. The liner lock is a perfectly fine design, it's the bad companies that give it a bad reputation. Framelock and linerlock knives from good manufacturers are very solid - pretty much equal to the lockback in my opinion.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

Doc Dan wrote:Thanks. The reason I asked was that I generally mistrust liner locks. But I like the Millie and Spyderco does liner locks better than anybody. I prefer lock backs by a large margin, but, that millie is a real nice knife.
Depends on how early the lockup is on the Military, and that can vary greatly. If the liner locks deeply into the tang, which is to say not early, then obviously it is less likely to be tugged out. Again, this varies a great deal. I have one military that is rather early, my father has one where the liner reaches the middle of the tang on lockup, which is ideal.

It really depends on what you're doing with it. If I'm stabbing something, I'd definitely prefer a lockback. If I'm wearing gloves all day, the military is hard to beat. The only comparable glove knife would be the Manix XL.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a Manix 2 XL on hold at the store. I would have gotten it already but for some unexpected bills. So, the Military is the next larger knife in my sights...though there is that blue Endura.
I really like the svelte lines of the Military.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Haven't owned an Endura but I've owned several Spyderco back locks and a few Militaries now. The only issue I had with my Military is after some real hard tree/shrub removal it developed a very very small amount of up and down play. But, it was still far less up and down movement than you typically get from a back lock when the lock bar raises. Also of note was the lock up on that knife was very very early so in time it may have worn in and worked out that play (I ended up trading it off). I would definitely take a Military over an Endura or probably any of Spyderco's back lock models, but I also wouldn't be opening cans with it. The Military has a much more accute tip than the Endura except maybe the FFG Endura. It definitely sounds like you need a multi tool, in which case I'd have to suggest the Victorinox Spirit.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have both and have used both extensively and have never had any issue with either. I have a bit more trust for the lock back. That is not based on any kind of negative experience...just my feeling.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I wouldn't use the millie as a can opener but some Russians did and it held up fine. The video is on YouTube somewhere. It's one of my favorite spydercos. Never bought an endura but i do have the salt equivalent of the endura 2 and i like it. I think both would do fine but i think a lockback would be a stronger knife in the long run.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I have both. I avoided liner locks for years because of bad rap, but never had any problems or hints of problems with the Military. OTOH, I have had backlocks fail to catch because of pocket lint build-up (that was on a Delica), but it was not a lock failure (lockup was always solid otherwise) but a user failure. Clean your dang knife :)

I carry a Mili every day and gave my wife an Endura because it was much easier for her to operate. I never felt like I was giving her a 2nd rate knife.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

If you are that much into back locks just get a Police. Same basic shape as the Millie but a back lock.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
palonej

Post by palonej »

I have 2 Enduras, black handle CE and gray FFG. Both are used pretty hard as work knives and they are excellent.
I also have a Cruwear Millie. Don't use it at work, but that sweetie is solid as a rock!!
I have total confidence in both locks......but I'm NOT opening any cans with either!!
:eek:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for all the input. Any knife that will not open a can of beans is not worth a toot. :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Doc Dan wrote:Thanks for all the input. Any knife that will not open a can of beans is not worth a toot. :D
Spyderco Military : тесты и впечатления о ноже (Б…: http://youtu.be/Ja5ASv1roVY

It's in Russian but you get the point
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Get a Swiss Army Knife, or wait for the new Spyderco multitool to come out PLEASE, don't ruin your knives.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:I have a Manix 2 XL on hold at the store.
I prefer the Manix 2 XL to either the Military or the Endura by a wide margin.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I've worked with a endura for 15 years or so and never had a lock fail.

Sorry I've never owned a military. Its a spyderco so it's got to be good.