Szabo Folder... how do you like it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Szabo Folder... how do you like it?

Post by DansGunBlog »

Seeing mixed reviews on this one on various knife sites... different from the usual "omg best knife ever" I'm used to seeing with Spyderco knives.

I love the blade length and shape, and looks very cool... but the knife reviews I'm seeing are a downer...

How do you like it?

How smoothly and easily does it flip open?

How solid and well constructed is it?

Compare to a Military as point of reference if possible, very happy with the Military all around. :-)

Thanks!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
can't freehand

Re: Szabo Folder... how do you like it?

Post by can't freehand »

They're two utterly different knives.

The Military is a gloves first knife. The Szabo is literally designed for knife fights.

I owned the Szabo. Its impossible to open comfortably one-handed because of how large it is and specifically the placement of the 'compression lock', which bites into the upper right area of your palm when engaging.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like mine. It's very solid and well built. But it's not an easy flicker. That spring assisted self close mechanism gives it quite a lot of opening resistance. I don't carry mine because it has a huge handle, making it large in the pocket. It's also pretty scary looking to use for mundane EDC tasks around others. The compression lock looks very strong, but the blade doesn't swing free like a Para 2. It's a very nice knife, but is just too large and aggressive looking to be practical for me. The Military carries and handles much smaller, and is easier to manipulate, IMO. But if you're looking for a large, intimidating fighting knife, it would be great.
:bug-red-white
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Everything you have read about the Szabo is true. It doesn't open quickly or easily, it doesn't close quickly or easily, its huge and heavy. But! It does get easier to open/close after you work it in, at least mine has so far. It is extremely well made and feels solid in the hand. Gbelleh is correct that it isn't an EDC, it is a fighting knife and thats probably all it should be used for. There are lots of people here on the forum though that like to take knives out of their comfort zones and use them in ways they weren't intended for. So you could probably EDC it if you wanted to.

The Military is a big knife, but the Szabo makes it look normal sized in comparison. I won't say that the Szabo makes the Military look small though. The Military carries a lot of easier compared to the Szabo. I guess it all depends on what you want to use the knife for. The Millie is certainly the more practical knife.

Some images for you as I just happened to be carrying both tonight :)

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I love both of mine. I think the "Lightning Strike" CF is absolutely beautiful, and the blacked-out one is nice too.

While it was a little harder to open quickly when I first got it due to the size and having to get used to the feel of where the Spydie hole was, after 1,000 or more cycles I can whip it open quite quickly and easily. I can easily close it one-handed also.

I find the handle very comfortable, in a couple of different positions, either "choked up" closer to the blade, or holding it towards the "back" end of the handle for more reach.

The blade is not a slicer like a Military, it serves a different purpose, though of course it *can* open the mail and cut food up. With some practice, you should be able to easily open/close it one-handed as well.

I am no martial artist, to old/slow/fat/clumsy, but if threatened, I'm pretty sure I could at least make sure some of the attacker's DNA was present at the scene :). I'm still quicker with a Yojimbo 2, but I also like the Szabo, and at least in Texas there is no legal issue with it's size.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I don't like it because the self closing mechanism makes it very hard to open. The lock also pinches my hand when opening. It's a shame because i liked the concept.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

I did own one and then sold it. I need it as a WOW knife! fit and finish is really terrific, and Spyderco's quality is definitely there. hard to open yes, but i think will get better after a lot flicking. badass knife. baddest ever in spyderco line up AFAIK :)

What makes me sold it is me needing money for a CPM Cruwear Millie. but, yes I would get another Szabo (still a long list because I really cant use it for EDC)
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Everything you have read about the Szabo is true. It doesn't open quickly or easily, it doesn't close quickly or easily, its huge and heavy. But! It does get easier to open/close after you work it in, at least mine has so far. It is extremely well made and feels solid in the hand. Gbelleh is correct that it isn't an EDC, it is a fighting knife and thats probably all it should be used for. There are lots of people here on the forum though that like to take knives out of their comfort zones and use them in ways they weren't intended for. So you could probably EDC it if you wanted to.

The Military is a big knife, but the Szabo makes it look normal sized in comparison. I won't say that the Szabo makes the Military look small though. The Military carries a lot of easier compared to the Szabo. I guess it all depends on what you want to use the knife for. The Millie is certainly the more practical knife.

LOL @Liquid Cobra, "just happened to be carrying both tonight", love it.

Great pics, thank you. :-)

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Lol I'm starting to see a parttern... whenever I look at another full size one, I just always seem to come back to the Military... for all the reasons I got it in the first place. :-)

Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I know exactly what you mean about the Military.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

DansGunBlog wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Everything you have read about the Szabo is true. It doesn't open quickly or easily, it doesn't close quickly or easily, its huge and heavy. But! It does get easier to open/close after you work it in, at least mine has so far. It is extremely well made and feels solid in the hand. Gbelleh is correct that it isn't an EDC, it is a fighting knife and thats probably all it should be used for. There are lots of people here on the forum though that like to take knives out of their comfort zones and use them in ways they weren't intended for. So you could probably EDC it if you wanted to.

LOL @Liquid Cobra, "just happened to be carrying both tonight", love it.

Great pics, thank you. :-)

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Lol I'm starting to see a parttern... whenever I look at another full size one, I just always seem to come back to the Military... for all the reasons I got it in the first place. :-)

Dan
Honestly, I really was just carrying them both by chance!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Couldn't be much further from my style of knife, but I've been real tempted to buy one just because of the changes/improvements in the compression lock. I really hope it's a sign of things to come.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

With a little practice you get used to opening it and closing it. Flicking it open without any wrist movement is pretty much impossible. Your thumb has to stay in the hole applying forward pressure. I can depress the lock and close it with a downward flick pretty easily. I thinned the edge on mine to make it a little better at cutting. If you want a stout folder and a larger comp lock platform this is the knife to get. I wish they would offer the black handle with a satin blade though. Just remember this is a big knife. Sure when you get it initially it seems hard to open. Once you adapt it will be fine. Personally I'm a fan of the szabo but i like larger knives. I like the ergos too but like others said it is more aimed towards martial applications. Has a good spot on it for thumb capping used in edge out ice pick grip.