Stone Wash: Your thoughts again?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Stone Wash: Your thoughts again?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

For those who are fans of and enjoy stone-washed blades, my question is this: Do you prefer the coloring more for its looks or for its function? Ie, is it because you enjoy the rustic coloring, or, is it because it has anti glare ?
MattM68

Re: Stone Wash: Your thoughts again?

Post by MattM68 »

I have one stonewashed knife, and I think it's a pretty cool finish. I don't prefer it to satin, but I would definitely like to see more stonewashed knives. When you scratch the knife, it's almost impossible to tell, which makes for an awesome user blade. :)

Matt
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

I like it because its not shiny. People in public don't like shiny, same reason I stonewash my clips. I also like the way it looks and like Matt said it wears better than a satin blade.
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

MadMaximus wrote:I like it because its not shiny. People in public don't like shiny, same reason I stonewash my clips. I also like the way it looks and like Matt said it wears better than a satin blade.
How do you recommend I stonewash a clip? I'd love to give it a try. People almost never notice black clips, but my shiny ones get a lot of attention.

Matt
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

MattM68 wrote:
MadMaximus wrote:I like it because its not shiny. People in public don't like shiny, same reason I stonewash my clips. I also like the way it looks and like Matt said it wears better than a satin blade.
How do you recommend I stonewash a clip? I'd love to give it a try. People almost never notice black clips, but my shiny ones get a lot of attention.

Matt
Well its pretty easy, get some smooth rocks or tumbling (polishing) media (I use a combo of the two), Put your clip (or blade or liners) in a container, spray it with WD-40 and SHAKE IT!! I pretty much learned by watching youtube and asked a few people on here. How long it takes varies on your media, how much room there is in the container, and the steel you're washing. Trial and error is your friend here, and if you do a blade you'll have to reprofile it because your edge will be annihilated. I've "upgraded" to a Harbor Freight tumbler, I don't do a ton of stone washing, but I do enough that it saves me a lot of time. Good luck!
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sort of depends on the knife for me. For example I don't think the Southard would work without the stone wash, both on the blade and handle. Other knives I feel look like crap with stone wash. The finish itself makes a big difference too, some are too dark and some are too light. When I do like them it's usually just for the appearance. I suppose the subdued reflection is nice, because I'm convinced that part of the fear of knives is a psychological connection to the reflection on the blade. I do think stonewashed clips greatly benefit from this and help to draw less attention to the fact that you're carrying.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I like the stonewash finish mainly because fingerprints and small scratches aren't noticeable. I like to acid stonewash my clips for 3 reasons, 1 the scratches thing, 2 they are less noticeable and 3 makes them grip my pocket just a touch more than when smooth.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

This thread needs stonewashed pics ! :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I stonewashed the grip on my user Cricket.

These are sharp pebbles to give a more pronounced finish- not as pretty but noticeably more 'grippy' than the stock polished Cricket I also have.

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I love it on my Southard.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I like the way S/W wear's you barely notice the scratches. That said I still prefer the combination of polished and stone washed more so than if it is 100 percent stonewashed.