Which Spydie Is A Timeless Classic?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spinynorman

Which Spydie Is A Timeless Classic?

Post by spinynorman »

Hi All,

Just a wandering mind thought I had while trying to work today; which Spydie would qualify to you as a "timeless classic", meaning one that your grandfather (or grandmother) might have liked and carried, and one you could imagine passing it down to your son or daughter as a family heirloom? IS there such a thing?

I think there have been an awful lot of Spyderco models that are seemingly here today and gone tomorrow - design something catchy and different, sell a bunch, then when it cools off discontinue it and replace it with new another hot radical design. But when you separate the wheat from the chaff, which design (to you) will really last and stand the test of time, maybe for all time, as a "classic"?

Which one do you want to still be carrying when you're 80, and have a kid say "Hey, is that a Spyderco _______??"

Weird I know, but, I thought I'd share in case you thought you were the only weirdo on this forum... :rolleyes:
SpyderNut

Re: Which Spydie Is A Timeless Classic?

Post by SpyderNut »

Off the top of my head...

Probably the original Jess Horn? Or perhaps the first Swiss-made version of the Michael Walker? I dunno. I have an old Co-Pilot that will probably go down as a "family heirloom" to be passed on to my brother's kids someday. :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's a really good question to which there is only one answer heh heh.

Spyderco Caly 3.5
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Military!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mgj48

Post by Mgj48 »

Stretch for me.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Kopa or the Kiwi. Or maybe a Bradley Air, my maternal Grandpa was into smaller cigar knives. Those are the most backwards compatible "timeless" knives I can think of. When it comes to what my grandkids will recognize, probably a Manix or Paramilitary.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
remnar

Post by remnar »

The Delica is timeless and the Worker is a classic.
PcT

Post by PcT »

For me (in no particular order):
C22 Klotzli/Walker
C42 Viele
C11 Delica (Gen 2 w SS scales)
C25 Centofante (Alu/rubber scales)

My grandkids can buy their own, I'm taking mine to the grave...
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I'd say Delica/Endura personally. They're still the models I think of first when I think of Spyderco...
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Yeah, another vote for the Worker.
Native has timeless shape and feel.
Military will be a long living standard.

...there are just SO many... so many that can be considered iconic classics, yet easily spiffed up at any point in time with modern materials and seen as once again brilliant. Yeah, that is brilliant! Timeless design. Why we all love them. :)
Going back to Caly.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

Honestly speaking, I think Spydercos are a new knife for a new generation. That generation being Us here. My father, my Grandfathers, all my great Uncles and everyone who I respected when I was young were of a different mold. All of the men in my family carried slip joints of the "traditional" variety. KA-BAR, Case, Buck etc etc. I feel, if they were alive today, they would still be carrying those types of knives, and not really interested in Spyderco. I like Spydercos very much and feel I will be carrying one for many many years, but I also think that as I get older, I might gravitate toward the knives my family carried, as a way to tribute and remember them. We will see. After all, times changes and so does preference.

Having explained myself, I don't think Spyderco has any timeless classics.They are a relatively new company. However, I long to hope my Double Bevel will last my lifetime, and that my interest in it will never wain. I love it the most out of all my Spydercos. Just being honest.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Old school Police SS,SE
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Timeless classic Spydercos for me are the knives which are pure expressions of the Spyderco ethos- ones that stay hanging about in the catalogue year in, year out because they work, work well and present serious cutting power in value for money packages

I'll put in another vote for the Military and all SS Police (in SE for preference) as knives which are 'definition' pieces of what Spyderco are all about.

The Harpy is another one I'd add too as well as the Delica

Honorable mentions go to the Civilian-(it's a narrowly focussed design, but classic all the same)
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

Another vote for SS SE Police aka mean hunk of steel.
The Civvie is up there too as an immediately recognizable iconic blade.
Last but not least would be the Delica / Endura zytel with straight spine and the good ole pokey tip.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Delica
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

For utility, I have to say the PM2, Manix, or Military.

For collecting, the C27 Jess Horn, C22 Walker, 2-screw Worker, and Lum Chinese would be my picks as "classics."

Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Kopa and Kiwi
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:Old school Police SS,SE
I believe this is the correct answer to your question. I was surprised it took so long before someone suggested the ss police.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Timeless? I always thought the 25th Anniversary Delica was timeless. It was a combination of production and custom. The Spyder Damascus bolsters were amazing. I always enjoy seeing how they patina over time. Some stayed silver, some got a very distinct copper color and I have one that has several colors on the damascus. I liked the box that they came in. It was beautiful knife in a great display. It was project that turned out an amazing knife.
Attachments
P1011430.jpg
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Definately the worker also the jigged bone dyad
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."