Not ready to be sprinted, but inevitable!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Not ready to be sprinted, but inevitable!

Post by TomAiello »

PM2 and Manix 2 sprints (and Natives) are inevitable. I'd say that more Endura/Delica/Dragonfly/Ladybug/Manbug in more exotic japanese steels are inevitable too.

I'd LOVE to see a Chaparral sprint in an upgraded steel, but I think it's a very long shot.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

TomAiello wrote:PM2 and Manix 2 sprints (and Natives) are inevitable. I'd say that more Endura/Delica/Dragonfly/Ladybug/Manbug in more exotic japanese steels are inevitable too.

I'd LOVE to see a Chaparral sprint in an upgraded steel, but I think it's a very long shot.

Hoping to see many in the (near?) future! :D
(it seems the M4 is quite popular just like the exotic Japanese steels which I believe will work fine in folders when made as San Mai steel, making it stainless enough for people who really dislike stains but carbon enough for people who love a good sharp blade)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Another one that I believe should be sprinted is the Calypso jr in FRN, especially if there isn't gonna be FRN Caly's.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joris Mo wrote:Another one that I believe should be sprinted is the Calypso jr in FRN, especially if there isn't gonna be FRN Caly's.
LIke I said on another thread>> I do indeed find it extremely interesting that Spyderco chose the Calypso Junior to launch ZDP-189 blade steel with their 2005 model, Burgundy Caly Jr. PE with ZDP-189>> I still think it's one of Spyderco's ultra-classics just in that blade steel alone>> it's as though that blade steel was made for the Calypso line.

As I said earlier in regards to the discontinued VAGABOND model I do think it was a great idea for an affordable outdoor type fixed blade but the one complaint I had with it was the lackluster blade steel they used on the first generation>> If they would re-introduce that model with one of the new super blade steels it would be so popular you couldn't keep it in stock.

I also still believe you can say the same about the Temperance 1 model if they chose to re-introduce it in a newer/better blade steel.

One more LONG SHOT to consider would be to resurrect the KUMO model not only with a better blade steel but also in Spyderedge>> and a better handle would do that blade a lot of justice.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JD Spydo wrote:As I said earlier in regards to the discontinued VAGABOND model I do think it was a great idea for an affordable outdoor type fixed blade but the one complaint I had with it was the lackluster blade steel they used on the first generation>> If they would re-introduce that model with one of the new super blade steels it would be so popular you couldn't keep it in stock.
Let me tell you a little story about a man named AQUA SALT!

AQUA SALT! Even before you start, that was a pre-emptive AQUA SALT!

Just know that I have a whole bag of AQUA SALT! with your name on it.

Bodog

Post by Bodog »

JD Spydo wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Another one that I believe should be sprinted is the Calypso jr in FRN, especially if there isn't gonna be FRN Caly's.
LIke I said on another thread>> I do indeed find it extremely interesting that Spyderco chose the Calypso Junior to launch ZDP-189 blade steel with their 2005 model, Burgundy Caly Jr. PE with ZDP-189>> I still think it's one of Spyderco's ultra-classics just in that blade steel alone>> it's as though that blade steel was made for the Calypso line.

As I said earlier in regards to the discontinued VAGABOND model I do think it was a great idea for an affordable outdoor type fixed blade but the one complaint I had with it was the lackluster blade steel they used on the first generation>> If they would re-introduce that model with one of the new super blade steels it would be so popular you couldn't keep it in stock.

I also still believe you can say the same about the Temperance 1 model if they chose to re-introduce it in a newer/better blade steel.

One more LONG SHOT to consider would be to resurrect the KUMO model not only with a better blade steel but also in Spyderedge>> and a better handle would do that blade a lot of justice.
Kumo looks great. Something about the silver bug strikes me as really beautiful against a black handle. Personally I'd love to see a straight up old school Japanese tanto with rayskin and a palladium bug menuki with Hap 40, YXR7, or even some kind of San Mai with a laminated white steel. Not like the Lum tanto, something about it seemed not so authentic. Something very traditional would be outstanding.

Also, a Spyderco kiridashi would be pretty cool with something like VG10. It'd be pretty cheap, I think. Full flat zero grind with red and black epoxied wrap handles and a small kydex sheath. If something like that could be had for about 70 bucks I'd be in.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

No Brainer: Michael Walker C22
Dark Horse: Rock Lobster
Long Shot: Techno in s110v
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ yep.

Or give us SpydeChef!

Bodog, I'm digging some of your thoughts there as well.

No brainer: Caly Jr. Burgundy FRN with another sanmai steel.

Dark Horse: Slysz Bowie in CTS-204P and blacked out.

Long Shot: Caly 3/3.5 in Burgundy G10 and carbon steel.
Going back to Caly.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Rock Lobster would be awesome, too.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Joe,

You know as well as I do that sub $40 market is over saturated already, most of the knives made overall across the board are in that lower range by far.
Hey Jim,

I agree that market is a mess already. All I'm saying is add a Carbon steel sprint of the Cara Cara and Raven to the line up and see how it does. The Vendor likely has access to SK5 already and it would take some engineering and work but not as much as a brand new model.

I like the Cara Cara and carry one some times. The thought of one in Carbon steel that isn't expensive makes pretty good sense to me. It feels good and is a tough lock back. Right up my alley. There aren't all that many carbon steel options in the Cara Cara's price range .

Joe
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Joe,

You know as well as I do that sub $40 market is over saturated already, most of the knives made overall across the board are in that lower range by far.
Hey Jim,

I agree that market is a mess already. All I'm saying is add a Carbon steel sprint of the Cara Cara and Raven to the line up and see how it does. The Vendor likely has access to SK5 already and it would take some engineering and work but not as much as a brand new model.

I like the Cara Cara and carry one some times. The thought of one in Carbon steel that isn't expensive makes pretty good sense to me. It feels good and is a tough lock back. Right up my alley. There aren't all that many carbon steel options in the Cara Cara's price range .

Joe

Joe,

That seems reasonable and pretty much what I was getting at, the Byrd Line so it might be right in that price range you are talking about. :spyder:

Take a model already in that range and switch out the steel. :)

Jim
grewich

Post by grewich »

No brainer: pm2 &/or millie

Dark horse: captain

Long shot: lum tanto
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I want Spyderco to do more PM2 variations but I honestly feel like Spyderco is stepping more into the higher end knives and is pushing collaborations and what not more.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

No brainer: PM2 in M4 steel

Dark Horse: PM2 in M4 steel

Longer Shot: PM2 in M4 steel

Did I mention that I'd really like to see a PM2 in M4 steel?

TedP
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

Stupidly insane longshot: Double Bevel in Micarta and BD-1
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:No brainer: PM2 in M4 steel

Dark Horse: PM2 in M4 steel

Longer Shot: PM2 in M4 steel

Did I mention that I'd really like to see a PM2 in M4 steel?

TedP
ONL!! and I said ONLY!!! if they were to also offer it up in Spyderedge>> I'm just dying to test drive some model of an M-4 blade in Spyderedge. Something in my gut tells me that it would be a great steel for a Spyderedged blade. There already is a loud drum beating for bringing back many of the GOLDEN, CO USA Spyders in fully serrated>> so let's starting doing at least 15% to 20% of all the Sprint Runs in Spyderedge>> It not only makes sense it would catapult the serrated sector of the market like it was in the early 2000s.

also I think M-4 would be a great blade steel for a Sprint Run of the Ayoob>> I definitely want to see that model return in one of the newer/better blade steels. OH one other thing I might add>> if you're going to do the Para 2 then you might just as well go ahead and do a run of the C-36 Military in M-4 along with it.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

1. No brainer- Millie and Para2 with K390 steel.

2. Dark Horse- Millie and Para2 with K390 steel.

3. Longer shot- Millie and Para2 with K390 steel.

Blame the the K390 Mule for this..
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Lum Tanto would be overdue.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

twinboysdad wrote:Lum Tanto would be overdue.
I could def get down w/ that as long as we are talking about the folding version. Micarta plz!
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

Kris!!! Kris!!! PLEASE sprint the Kris! Since i am dreaming here i will also request polished scales. Peel-ply G-10 would be sacrilege on this beauty.

JD