Discontinued: But You Want It Back!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MarcusH

Re: Discontinued: But You Want It Back!!

Post by MarcusH »

I'd really like to see the comeback of some gems from the past which were originally offered with micarta scales.
Upgrade to VG-10 and G-10 scales, please:
C34 Jess Horn 2
C42 Viele
C56 Tim Zowada

Or the comeback of the C38 Horn Lightweight as a regular production piece with an upgrade to VG-10.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

JD Spydo wrote:
Bradley wrote:How about the kx05?
I'm trying to remember which model was that??? If I'm right I think that was that one early Spyderco kitchen knife that was rated "kosher". If not then tell us because I'm sure it's one of the early kitchen blades.

It sure seems like I'm not the only one who wants to see the return of a Spyderedged C-36 Military model. And the demand for the 701 Profiles just keeps getting bigger.
The wood handled sashimi knife! :) Looks excellent, and I need one.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Once more... KOPA.. :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

JD Spydo wrote:
JudasD wrote:Ayoob. With tip up clip this time :)
Or they could just do the screw holes in both configurations so you could have it either which way>> Yeah I'm surprised in a way that the Ayoob hasn't gotten more fanfare than it has>> because I talk to a lot of people over the past few months that do like the C-60 Ayoob>> it's got a bigger fan base than most people realize.

The G-10 handle sure made a huge difference in the last Sprint Run. But there are at least 4 other models I would like to see with a G-10 handle and the SPYDERHAWK immediately comes to mind. And at the very top of the list is the G-10 HARPY
I would be fine with the extra drilled holes. that doesn't bother me much at all. The absence of tip-up is why i passed on the last Ayoob Sprint.
Heck, i had been salivating over a Civi for many years and didn't pull the trigger until it became available as tip-up.

A G-10 Spyderhawk would also be very sweet. Are you thinking H1 or VG-10 with the G-10? I'm thinking VG-10. My brain always equates H1 with yellow FRN :)

JD
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm going to go with the CPM M4 Ti Millie. I was fortunate enough to purchase one but ended up having to sell it. Definitely a blade I wish I could get a do over on. It was magnificent and very affordable compared to so many others that are pretty but shorter on pure performance. It's one I could retire with and use as the Rest of the life last knife scenario. I could do so with 2 or three others as well ( Cruwear Millie & Super Blue Endura) but I do miss that Millie.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:I'd really like to see the comeback of some gems from the past which were originally offered with micarta scales.
Upgrade to VG-10 and G-10 scales, please:
C34 Jess Horn 2
C42 Viele
C56 Tim Zowada

Or the comeback of the C38 Horn Lightweight as a regular production piece with an upgrade to VG-10.
Well MARCUS we seem to be on the same page again>> The C-56 Zowada model is another one of my all time favorites and you guessed it :D It's also from the GOLDEN ERA Of Spyders 1998-2003. It's no coincidence to me that most of the ones I'm hearing on this thread are also ones out of the GOLDEN ERA ;)

My Sprint run ZOWADA is so elegant I just can't bring myself to use it. I would love to have an older AUS-8 version of that great blade. The Viele is another super model that was ahead of it's time IMO. I did have a full Spyderedged version about 4 years ago and I ended up trading it and still regret that trade as well.

For the one Brother who despises the Cobra Hood I sort of disagree. To me the Ti ATR, Ti Salsa and ASSIST models do well with the hood in my opinion. It sort of adds character to the folder>> now there is an argument that they are annoying for pocket carrying but I personally didn't have any trouble wtih those models when I carried and used them. Even though a lot of people say they hate the Cobra Hood you usually find that those models are much wanted and fetch high prices in spite of it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JudasD wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
JudasD wrote:Ayoob. With tip up clip this time :)
Or they could just do the screw holes in both configurations so you could have it either which way>> Yeah I'm surprised in a way that the Ayoob hasn't gotten more fanfare than it has>> because I talk to a lot of people over the past few months that do like the C-60 Ayoob>> it's got a bigger fan base than most people realize.

The G-10 handle sure made a huge difference in the last Sprint Run. But there are at least 4 other models I would like to see with a G-10 handle and the SPYDERHAWK immediately comes to mind. And at the very top of the list is the G-10 HARPY
A G-10 Spyderhawk would also be very sweet. Are you thinking H1 or VG-10 with the G-10? I'm thinking VG-10. My brain always equates H1 with yellow FRN :)
A Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle>> hey it wouldn't matter to me what blade steel they used>> actually I wouldn't mind seeing a new Spyderhawk with that LC200N steel they used on the TUSK model>> and a yellow G-10 handle would be cool if they used another nitrogen based steel. If they elected to bring back the Spyderhawk in either VG-10 or maybe a newer/better blade steel I still would like to see a G-10 handle and I would leave the color up to Spyderco as they seen fit.

But for a G-10 Harpy I would like to see a Black G-10 handle for the Spyderedged version and maybe a blue or burgundy G-10 handle for a plain edged G-10 Harpy. There is just something about G-10 that I trust a bit better for grip than I do with the FRN handles.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Golden Age Spydies are the best, IMHO. Now, how about that CF Walker in Superblue? ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:Golden Age Spydies are the best, IMHO. Now, how about that CF Walker in Superblue? ;)
The Walker is not really one of my personal favorites but I can see how that blade would be much better with a steel like "superblue". You guys even constantly mention blades out of the GOLDEN ERA that I didn't even think of :D And I thought I was pretty well versed in Spyders out of the GOLDEN ERA.

There are two more hidden classics out of that Era that I wouldn't mind seeing in the main line up again>> one is the stainless handled RESCUE models C-14 & C-45. And with all the talk of the D'Allara model I'm wondering what it would be like with a stainless handle?

If they can't or won't bring back something like the GALLEY V sharpening kit then could we at least have those Cat's Eye stones available?
BOHAWG

Post by BOHAWG »

Evil D wrote:I'd be in for some 701's especially in different grits, as well as another Centofante 4, maybe a Captain, probably an original locking Kiwi.
Oh how I would love to see the Captain in a sprint run!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BOHAWG wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'd be in for some 701's especially in different grits, as well as another Centofante 4, maybe a Captain, probably an original locking Kiwi.
Oh how I would love to see the Captain in a sprint run!
Oh "BOHAWG" I've got so many people that want the return of the 701 Profiles and the C-111 Captain model that I hear from these people almost daily now. I'm not at all knocking the GOLDENSTONE that for all intent and purposes was supposed to take the place of the 701 Profiles>> well if it truly was supposed to take it's place I don't think the outcome has been a good one from what I can tell>> to me it's just got more people wanting the 701 Profiles to return more than anything.

Now what you want and that being the return of the C-111 Captain model>> I'm even seeing it here on this Forum and Bladeforums and a couple of other places I frequent and there are just a lot of people who want the CAPTAIN model back and most of them are like myself and want it back with the inner arch part of the blade serrated>> because after all the original Captain from Jason Breeden from what I was told Mr. Breeden's original design had the Captain's inner arch part of the blade serrated. And that's the part I would like to see serrated would be the inner arch part in SE. I actually find the pendulum end of the blade to be very useful in plain edge. If they were to make the Captain model like that it would make so many people happy who have been wanting the return of this great model for a long time now. The time is ripe for the picking!!

Everytime I see the C-111 Captain mentioned on this forum it's about it's possible return to the line up or the desire for a Sprint Run of them. Well if they do a Sprint Run of let's say 1200 of them then make at least half of them Spyderedged on the inner arch part of the blade. I can almost guarantee everyone that the serrated ones will sell out quicker than the PE versions>> but they will sell out in less than 3 months I'm willing to bet on it. It would make more sense to make about 5000 of them in my opinion and make 3000 of them serrated. I know people that want a serrated Captain more than they want any of the hawkbills.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

SUPERHAWK!
Also the Michael Walker.
701 stones definitely, I use them regularly.
ATR, of course.
Native 1, much better handle in my opinion.
Catcherman in H1, but not in USN colors.
And oh yeah, Captain with serrated hawkbill portion. ;)
Rare Blade

Post by Rare Blade »

Rock lobster for this kid.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:I'm going to go with the CPM M4 Ti Millie. I was fortunate enough to purchase one but ended up having to sell it. Definitely a blade I wish I could get a do over on. It was magnificent and very affordable compared to so many others that are pretty but shorter on pure performance. It's one I could retire with and use as the Rest of the life last knife scenario. I could do so with 2 or three others as well ( Cruwear Millie & Super Blue Endura) but I do miss that Millie.
Well from one JOE to another I have to agree with you 100% on a Military model with M-4. Yeah I like Titanium handles myself because they have a natural tacky-ness or grippy property to them that few other metals possess. I've thought hard about how a Military model with M-4 blade steel in full Spyderedge would be like. I so much miss the MILITARY model in full Spyderedge and I'm certainly not alone on that one.

I would love to see a Military model with a Titanium handle with some type of inserts they way they used to do the older PRO-Grip model. But there is a huge need for larger blades in full Spyderedge. If I could get a Military model with a newer blade steel in full Spyderedge I might be comfortable retiring or semi-retiring my 440V, full SE NATIVE MODEL>> which is another great GOLDEN made Spyder that I would like to see again in full SE.