Mamba Fakes?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
old_dog

Mamba Fakes?

Post by old_dog »

I recently watched a youtube video of a Chinese fake Mamba being advertised with a link to a Chinese website and, of course, a ridiculously low price. ****, it looked good but I am personally revolted and angered by these counterfeits. I kept looking for a "tell". The "Brend/Pirela" signature on the blade appeared way to far from the upper swedge compared to photos from the Spyderco website and some reputable dealers. I would post a link to this video but it might violate the rules here and I certainly don't want to "advertise" for these scum. Anyway, since most dealers are out of stock I looked on Ebay. Not posting links to these either but here are some pics:

Ebay #1:

This one the signature looks too low like the fake on youtube.

Ebay#2:

On this one the signature might be too high; the "/" in Brend/Pirela appears to actually hit the edge of the upper swedge. On pictures of genuine pieces there is a tiny space above the "/". Maybe it's just the angle of the photo.

I think Ebay#1 is fake and Ebay#2 is a maybe. What do you experts think?
ferider

Re: Mamba Fakes?

Post by ferider »

3 tells for the fake:

(1) steel liners (much heavier) in the fake (original are Ti)
(2) for the fake, the edge starts at the choil, where the real Mamba has an un-sharpened triangle at the start of the edge (unfortunately)
(3) the carbon fiber of the real Mamba is _very_ pretty

Your pictures above of ebay #2 look real. Don't see enough of #1 but guessing it's fake (are these G10 handles ?)

Roland.
cwp

Re: Mamba Fakes?

Post by cwp »

The scales on #1 definitely don't look like those of a real Mamba, at least from what I can see of them.

Concur that #2 looks real. I'd have to check the signature height on my wife's when I get home to say anything on that score, but the scales look right and it has the chunky triangular piece at the base of the blade.

Of course, just because the photo is real doesn't mean what the vendor is selling is. But of those two #2 is the better bet.