New PM2, Legit?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Asmodaus

New PM2, Legit?

Post by Asmodaus »

Asmodaus wrote:Hey guys, just bought my first nice knife and decided to go with a Spydie PM2 because of how great the reviews and the knife itself seems to be! So far loving the feel and look of the knife but all the fakes going around have me paranoid. Ive checked the differences between the real and fakes and to me it looks legit but im no expert and its the only one ive handled. Image

Sorry for the bad image quality, had to take the pics on my phone.
Initially posted in the wrong section, didnt find this subforum until after.

The pocket clip and spider on the box are what have me concerned. Two of the three screws are kind of a matte black while the other is full black, and the spider has long legs. On the box the small triangle at the top is a little larger than what ive seen on other people boxes.
Malfeasant

Re: New PM2, Legit?

Post by Malfeasant »

Those two screws on the clip do look funny and I thought the lanyard hole fitting was suppose to be black too? Wouldn't worry about the box they're all printed in China. The rest of the hex screws look normal to me, the fake ones aren't usually cut as deep as Spydercos. In the fakes I've seen they can't quite get the g10 scales right but those look fine. And they don't usually take the time to taper off the lanyard fitting, yours looks like it is. My opinion (which doesn't mean much) I think it's real.
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mine arrived the day before yesterday, it has a satin blade and silver hardware and I have no doubt of its authenticity. Comparing it to your photos I can't see any obvious difference, though the mismatched screws would annoy me no end to say the least. I'm new to Spyderco knives, but I think you'd know soon after you first opened and closed the knife if it was real or not. Malfeasant may have meant Torx screws and you'll find the clip screws to be T6, frame screws T9 and pivot T10. I think the best safe guard against counterfeit's would have to be to only buy from reputable dealers and never forget that all that glitters is not gold. Either way I hope it all works out well. The Burple S110V that landed here all the way from Columbia, LA is a gem and as close to perfect as a $150 production knife could be, I'd say! Anyhow, be lucky!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Seems legit to me, looking at the finishing of the G10 around the lock area.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

seems mostly legit. It almost looked slightly used?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Looks good
dyadem

Post by dyadem »

I have one that looks very close to yours. On mine, I am worried a bit about how smooth is the G10 texture, and I'm not sure if I understand what range of angles on the spine jimping could be expected on legitimate knives. I'm not sure if the counterfeiters are getting much better than in 2014 or so or if their quality has tapered.

If anyone has one like this one that they can be sure one way or another is legitimate, will you please add a comment? Thanks!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dyadem wrote:I have one that looks very close to yours. On mine, I am worried a bit about how smooth is the G10 texture, and I'm not sure if I understand what range of angles on the spine jimping could be expected on legitimate knives. I'm not sure if the counterfeiters are getting much better than in 2014 or so or if their quality has tapered.

If anyone has one like this one that they can be sure one way or another is legitimate, will you please add a comment? Thanks!
With the exception of the glaringly obvious fakes, the only people who can say with certainty whether a given knife is, or is not, a genuine Spyderco are the folks in Golden and even they must have the knife in hand to make that determination. Everything else is just opinions, speculation, and guesses.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!