Spyderco Autonomy

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
guitarwolf

Spyderco Autonomy

Post by guitarwolf »

Please please can we get an update and some more pictures of this knife? It's been in development forever, the last update many months ago said it was shooting for a release this fall. Is that still the case? Has the Coast Guard version been released to them yet?

:D
sal

Re: Spyderco Autonomy

Post by sal »

Hi Wolf,

The Coast Guard version has been released and they're testing the model now. It's a rustproof auto. The CG version will only be sold to Coast Guard because it has no safety (their requirement). It's orange G-10.

The regular military version is now being produced and we still plan for fall delivery. It is the same as the CG version except it has a safety and it's all black.

sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

G/W I know you have been waiting patiently (cough cough), I hope you get one soon and take lots of pics for the rest of us to drool over :D
endgame

Post by endgame »

I did 4 years in the coastguard and would have loved to have this knife.wr carried fixed blades in 93 I had a junker from a bait and tackle store wish I had this especially recivery diving.does it open undet water sal?
sal

Post by sal »

opens underwater just fine. Large hollow button works well with their gloves. We worked with rescue swimmers to develop the design. Took a long time but we think we got it.

sal
guitarwolf

Post by guitarwolf »

Thanks for the update! When it comes out I plan on testing the knife while camping on the beach. Sand and salt water, should be interesting with an auto!
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

As a former Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer, I'm thrilled that they are finally getting a knife that makes sense. When I started, we had a fixed blade on our harness but that was difficult to reach and you could forget about sheathing it again, imagine slicing a whole in your dry suit in Alaska, not worth the risk.

We switched to an auto folder but the button was a pain to operate in gloves. Maintenance was a must to prevent rust. The Autonomy looks like a dream compared to it. I got a chance to handle one at Modern Day Marine last year and it is fantastic!

I was introduced to Spyderco Knives while I was in, my Chief got everyone Rescue Clipits and that was it, I was hooked.

Thanks for making such quality knives. These guys deserve the best!
Semper Paratus
"So Others May Live"

Dan
endgame

Post by endgame »

Im definatly going to get one .I wil use it spear fishing if the doc clears me.hey oldsarswmr.what year were you at the cape for boot.when I was doing salvage in 93 I got passed out 30 feat down got medivaced out and thats when they found out about my liver.if it wasnt for that I might not have found out till it was to late.got honorable discharged after that.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Hey endgame, all things work out for a reason I guess, I'm glad you made it out of the drink that day. That Spyderedge ripping through anything in case you got snagged up and couldn't disentangle yourself, nice to know you had options. I definitely would love to own this knife.

I went to boot camp in 1989, X-Ray 131 (SCD)
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

I sure wished they had something like this back in the seventies when I was in. I used a Gerber Folding Sportsman.

Boot camp 1976. Alpha 109. Tracen Alameda.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
endgame

Post by endgame »

I must have it
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I was able to handle the Coast Guard version of the Autonomy today and wow, just wow! What a well thought out knife! Design is fantastic, ergos are dead on, fires open with authority but controlled.
I have to say, this is an incredibly well thought out knife, the needs of the end user is in every ounce of this knife.

Congrats Spyderco, this is a winner!

Dan
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Now that we have the released version how is it for left handed use? There must be some lefties in the Coast Guard.
guitarwolf

Post by guitarwolf »

Does anyone have a picture of the coast guard version? I've never seen one.
putrid_retch

Post by putrid_retch »

OldSarSwmr wrote:That Spyderedge ripping through anything in case you got snagged up and couldn't disentangle yourself, nice to know you had options.
THIS is the reason I prefer serrated blades as opposed to a plain-edge. I wonder how much longer it would've taken to rip thru with a plain-edge?
guitarwolf

Post by guitarwolf »

No longer coming out this year?
swigert

Post by swigert »

not according to sal
guitarwolf

Post by guitarwolf »

Any updates?
Barman

Post by Barman »

Dang it!
Thought we had a news update on the Autonomy coming here... :(
thelock

Post by thelock »

As a huge fan of Spyderco's H1 line, this one is a must have for me. My question is, will this come in any other blade shapes or just the sheepsfoot?