Janisong

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
VashHash

Janisong

Post by VashHash »

watched the tatanka video and noticed the Janisong in the case or something that looked a lot like it. I've been waiting for this knife for many years. Longer than i have the Szabo folder. Please tell me it's coming soon. Posting this here because i'm guessing it will be a restricted model. If it's in the SHOT case it can't be too far off right? I know a lot of people would love to see this knife come out. I know spyderco is doing everything they can to keep up with demand but throw me a bone here.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I think it is slated to be manufactured out of the Taiwan facility. Unfortunately for the U.S. market, it won't be available because of import restrictions/issues. The only way we'll see it in the U.S. is if manufacturing of the Janisong is also added to the new facility being built later in this year/early 2015.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Hoping that isn't the case. I'm curious about the legality of it. Technically it's not a balisong or a switchblade. It does have a slider to keep it locked closed and open but it's not propelled by anything. So if the classification for it isn't restricted Taiwan is fine by me.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

"Technically" has had bad consequences before when dealing with lettered government agencies. :( Yeah, I'm fine with Taiwan construction too if we can get it imported legally here.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
harkamus

Post by harkamus »

Sal, is there any more news about the Jani-song that you can share with us at this time ? I have been following this development for years after having met Michael Janich at Blade Show. I have been privileged to have handled the original Jani-song at length. I would very much like to buy one at release since I can legally carry knives like that in my state. I figured I would just reply here instead of making another thread.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I'm also interested!
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

I'm in...hope it finds its way to the US market! I have an original but would love to get the Spyderco model!
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
harkamus

Re: Janisong

Post by harkamus »

Still waiting with bated breath. Any updates?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I was playing with my szabofly and figured I'd check the restricted section. I've been waiting for a janisong since they were first announced years ago for another company. I remember the first run being offered for 500. If i had known how long it was going to take to get one in hand then i would have spent the 500. I'm not even sure if they ever made that first run. Any updates would be appreciated
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Here are some quotes from Sal from a thread over at BF
At this time, there is no plan to have them in the US. They are being made overseas and shipped to our customers in other countries. It is illegal to import autos so we can't bring them here.

sal
The long term plan is to also make them in Golden.

sal
So what countries are they designated for?
Any country that we work with that can import them legally.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

What a shame. Guess I'll have to keep waiting
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

I got to flip a Jani-Song at SHOT Show this year. It is a great design that I am sorry is not in production. It is not quite like manipulating a traditional Bali-Song, but your hand warms up to the altered motion. After talking to Mr. Janich a while back, then actually handling a Jani-Song, I have to say I want a few. The rest od my fan-bot ove is here: http://bladebarrelbezel.com/2014/01/20/ ... show-2014/" target="_blank
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

I got to flip a Jani-Song at SHOT Show this year. It is a great design that I am sorry is not in production. It is not quite like manipulating a traditional Bali-Song, but your hand warms up to the altered motion. After talking to Mr. Janich a while back, then actually handling a Jani-Song, I have to say I want a few. The rest of my fan-boy love is here: http://bladebarrelbezel.com/2014/01/20/ ... show-2014/" target="_blank
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I found a reputable dealer in Finland that will be carrying these...... will this knife get held up by customs if I try to order one when they are available? Autos are legal in south carolina
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Popsickle wrote:I found a reputable dealer in Finland that will be carrying these...... will this knife get held up by customs if I try to order one when they are available? Autos are legal in south carolina
Hey Pop, I think I read that International dealers have been asked not to send these knives to the US.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

any news on the release date?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Enigma wrote:any news on the release date?
It's been released in Taiwan so it must be soon elsewhere :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Enigma wrote:any news on the release date?
I understand from my brick-and-mortar that the South African agent is getting some in the next few weeks.

Lets see .....
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

cant wait!!