Anodized Color Variations of Spyderco Balisongs?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
SpyderEdgeForever

Anodized Color Variations of Spyderco Balisongs?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I saw a picture of a Spyderco Balisong that had some type of color pattern on the blade surface and it said this was anodized on or something. Is anyone familiar with that variation?
Last edited by SpyderEdgeForever on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Re: Would Spyderco Balisong "Kits" get around the ban on shipping balisongs?

Post by Bloke »

SEF, do you really think a reputable company like Spyderco would attempt to circumvent the law for the sake of a few extra knife sales? :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Bloke wrote:SEF, do you really think a reputable company like Spyderco would attempt to circumvent the law for the sake of a few extra knife sales? :confused:
I also very much doubt that Spyderco would trust the end user to assemble a knife by themselves and later sue the living daylight out of Spyderco because they assembled it wrong and hurt themselves..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderEdgeForever

More on Anodizing the color of Spyderco Balisong

How permanent or temporary would the anodizing color on the blade be? That is another question.
SpyderEdgeForever

Larry_Mott wrote:
Bloke wrote:SEF, do you really think a reputable company like Spyderco would attempt to circumvent the law for the sake of a few extra knife sales? :confused:
I also very much doubt that Spyderco would trust the end user to assemble a knife by themselves and later sue the living daylight out of Spyderco because they assembled it wrong and hurt themselves..

That is a good point. Please understand, I was only asking out of curiousity because I read something in some knife related discussion that at some point countries that banned the import of assembled balisong and automatic knives, did allow those same knives to be imported if they were in disassembled kit form.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:

That is a good point. Please understand, I was only asking out of curiousity because I read something in some knife related discussion that at some point countries that banned the import of assembled balisong and automatic knives, did allow those same knives to be imported if they were in disassembled kit form.
That's true. I have friends here in Sweden who have imported autos and Balis in kit form. Again i doubt Spyderco would do it though.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Anodized Color Variations of Spyderco Balisongs?

Thank you Larry, very good points on that, it helps me to understand how that works.
The Deacon

Re: Anodized Color Variations of Spyderco Balisongs?

Post by The Deacon »

The Rainbow Spyderfly exists, and so do counterfeits of it. The real ones are not anodized, although the look is similar. The 2006 catalog where they appear describes them as having a "Vacuum plated titanium coating in the full color spectrum of the rainbow". As for durability, given Spyderco's description, I'd expect them to be about as durable as a ti-ni type coating. That's to say, won't rub off from cutting, but abrasive materials will scratch it.

As an aside, there was also a JDM (Japanese domestic market) "rainbow" version of the all stainless Cricket and there may have been JDM rainbow versions of one or more other SS Spydercos as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!