USCG Orange Autonomy

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
farnorthdan

Re: USCG Orange Autonomy

Post by farnorthdan »

346ci wrote:I collect the orange models, if anyone has a extra one of these, let me know.

I've seen a lot of models but never this one, didn't know they made autos either, very nice!
Unfortunately B/S/T isn't allowed here, the only one I've ever seen listed for sale was on the exchange over at BF, you might sign up over there and post a request, you never know might get lucky.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
racerx454

Post by racerx454 »

I'm a firefighter and think this would be the ideal knife for my duty use. Sal, please make this available soon!

Great shots, btw.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

racerx454 wrote:Great shots, btw.
Thanks! It's quite the photogenic piece. ;)
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Great post, I must own a orange version soon. Killer pics here, thank for sharing.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

dtoad wrote:Great post, I must own a orange version soon. Killer pics here, thank for sharing.
Thanks! It looks so much better in person. It's really quite a stunning piece and it should be due to the 7 years it took to perfect it. That's a lot of hard work and dedication and I'm very grateful to own it!
ez_rider

Post by ez_rider »

I've had the black Autonomy for a while now and finally picked up an orange one. Both are excellent autos. The black one already has some good use and shows a little wear on the DLC. I actually don't care too much for the 'tacticool' looks of the all-black and prefer the hi-viz/utilitarian look of the orange. I'm not sure why Spyderco doesn't make the orange available to dealers like they do the black ones, though.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

ez_rider wrote:I'm not sure why Spyderco doesn't make the orange available to dealers like they do the black ones, though.
Blade HQ had a few in stock but were gone the same day. Now it says they're discontinued.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm wondering if they received them by accident. They are asking customers to return them.

Dear Blade HQ Customer:

Thank you for your recent purchase of a Spyderco Autonomy automatic knife from Blade HQ. We truly appreciate your patronage!

The version of the knife you received was originally developed for the U.S. Coast Guard exclusively for use by their rescue swimmers. These highly trained personnel wear a special vest with a pocket specifically designed to carry these knives, so their version of the Autonomy does not include a secondary safety. Unfortunately, that makes this configuration of the knife unsuitable for everyday carry in a pants pocket.

To ensure that you can carry your Spyderco Autonomy with complete safety, we need to exchange the knife you currently have for a newly developed orange-handled version that includes a firing-button safety and a reversible wire clip. This new version of the Autonomy will allow you to enjoy all the same qualities of your current knife, but with the added convenience of a pocket clip and the security of a secondary safety. It will also allow Blade HQ and Spyderco to best support the needs of the U.S. Coast Guard by ensuring uninterrupted availability of their mission-specific version of the Autonomy.

Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation in this matter. Please ship your knife as soon as possible to:

Blade HQ

ATTN: Spyderco Autonomy
400 S 1000 E, Suite E1
Lehi, UT 84043

We will exchange your knife and ship it to you in April.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm wondering if they received them by accident. They are asking customers to return them.
I take it you were able to acquire one of these and how do you feel about having to return it?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Scroop wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm wondering if they received them by accident. They are asking customers to return them.
I take it you were able to acquire one of these and how do you feel about having to return it?
I don't have one. I've just been reading about this from people that do. They don't have to return them though. I don't think blade hq can force them.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Scroop wrote:
I don't have one. I've just been reading about this from people that do. They don't have to return them though. I don't think blade hq can force them.
I would imagine the price of these in the secondary market will skyrocket!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'm not quite understanding these. Is there going to be a drop of the orange with the safety to the general public or are they still just coast guard issue. I sure wouldn't mind grabbing one to go with my black one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

farnorthdan wrote:I'm not quite understanding these. Is there going to be a drop of the orange with the safety to the general public or are they still just coast guard issue. I sure wouldn't mind grabbing one to go with my black one.
From the letter sent out from Blade HQ I would surmise that there is indeed going to be a "SFGP" (safe for general public) version of the orange g10 Autonomy Dan. Of course I'll have to be scooping up one of those! ;) :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

fellyjr wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I'm not quite understanding these. Is there going to be a drop of the orange with the safety to the general public or are they still just coast guard issue. I sure wouldn't mind grabbing one to go with my black one.
From the letter sent out from Blade HQ I would surmise that there is indeed going to be a "SFGP" (safe for general public) version of the orange g10 Autonomy Dan. Of course I'll have to be scooping up one of those! ;) :D
Awesome, me too, thanks :)

ez_rider

Post by ez_rider »

That's great to hear! I always hate the thought of losing or beating the crap out of gear that is hard to replace, but I intend to carry my orange one on many river and camping trips, as well as EDC. Safety or no safety, I don't care either way. I don't ever use it on any of my autos that have them, but won't bother me at all to have the option.
ez_rider

Post by ez_rider »

I emailed BladeHQ today and they replied to say they did sell a batch of orange ones and were planning to sell another batch as soon as they can get some from Spyderco. No timeframe or other info given.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

ez_rider wrote:I emailed BladeHQ today and they replied to say they did sell a batch of orange ones and were planning to sell another batch as soon as they can get some from Spyderco. No timeframe or other info given.
My guess is the batch they're waiting on will definitely be the "SFGP" version. (Safe For General Public)