Spyderco Balisongs: Your thoughts?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Balisongs: Your thoughts?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

These have been discussed on and off in different threads but in general: If you could carry a Spyderco Balisong with no negative repercussions at all, even if you were to openly take it out and use it for cutting in the open, would you make it your everyday carry knife, or not? Also, what experiences do those here who have them and have used them want to share with myself and others, as far as performance, ease of carry, and overall feel go?

Also: Would you prefer them in Plain Edge, Combo Edge, or full serrated, or does that not matter?

I like the cast stainless steel handles and VG10 steel blade, its overall shape, designs, and look. Amazing =)
VashHash

Re: Spyderco Balisongs: Your thoughts?

Post by VashHash »

We need more of them. I guess the market is just too small for it. I've edced a szabofly and it worked really well. It's a shame they can't produce any that lock open. Solid knives though. The spyderfly was one of my sharpest knives from the factory and my first spyderco. They make a pretty solid bali and i would buy another full size spyderco bali if they made them. Probably the best heat treat on a bali blade or any blade from a production company anyway. The szabofly wasn't the best flipper but i don't think tricks and fancy openings were what it was marketed for. The original spyderfly lended itself to flipping pretty well with the way the handles were weighted. Also the spyderholes in the handles made for some interesting openings unique to the knife. All in all i wish spyderco would do an American made sprint of the original spyderfly. Either with milled steel handles or MIM handles.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, I don't think I'd carry one even if I were legally allowed to and nobody (non knife people) cared. I used to carry one when I was younger and I still have it, but honestly the opening and closing is overly complicated compared to a typical folder. That alone puts me off. The one thing that I like is that you end up with a knife that has basically twice the pivot strength, so you can potentially build a seriously strong bali vs. a standard folder.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Moving to appropriate forum area...
There is nothing more important than this one day.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

TazKristi wrote:Moving to appropriate forum area...
Had a feeling this would happen......
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:Eh, I don't think I'd carry one even if I were legally allowed to and nobody (non knife people) cared. I used to carry one when I was younger and I still have it, but honestly the opening and closing is overly complicated compared to a typical folder. That alone puts me off. The one thing that I like is that you end up with a knife that has basically twice the pivot strength, so you can potentially build a seriously strong bali vs. a standard folder.
Balisongs are legal to carry here and I I doubt that using one in public would shock many people, at least not the SC natives. Heck, balisongs were even legal to carry when I lived in Upstate NY, and still are for that matter, although opening one flamboyantly in public there would probably have raised more than a few eyebrows. Even with all that, I've only ever carried mine once, and that was back in NY, to show my supervisor. They're great for stabbing things, but I can't even remember the last time I needed to stab something with a knife. The blades tend to be thick, and relatively narrow, and none that I've seen have been grround with an eye toward slicing performance. IMHO, they've suffered the same fate as yo-yos, weapons reduced to use as playthings. Although, as with yo-yos, they're playthings that take considerably skill to operate impressively.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ark9er1

Post by Ark9er1 »

They are cool and fun to have but for me not a practical carry/ EDC use knife. I have 2 (non- :spyder: ) and I carried them when I lived in Arizona but it got to the point I would rather just use my regular pocket knife for regular cutting chores then screw around with opening the knife with either rotations or 2 handed. I still have them and flip em now and again but carrying purposes I don't think make the best EDC, just one mans opinion.
When People ask me "Why do you need another knife?" I simply Reply
Every Knife Has A Purpose, Some are just different than others... And I like knives.

God Bless America!
MOLON LABE
3%
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Spyderco needs to release another balisong. I've been looking everywhere for either a Smallfly or a Spyderfly. I NEED one. :)

Matt
remnar

Post by remnar »

They are very cool and fun but I would not carry one for EDC. There are just too many other better knives for EDC tasks.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My mother is Filipino (she emigrated to the USA as a child), so I like balisongs for purely personal reasons. I also like Spyderco's, so I'd definitely be interested in a new Spyderco Balisong. I've actually looked around for them from time to time, but the aftermarket prices are astronomical.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The Deacon wrote:
Evil D wrote:Eh, I don't think I'd carry one even if I were legally allowed to and nobody (non knife people) cared. I used to carry one when I was younger and I still have it, but honestly the opening and closing is overly complicated compared to a typical folder. That alone puts me off. The one thing that I like is that you end up with a knife that has basically twice the pivot strength, so you can potentially build a seriously strong bali vs. a standard folder.
Balisongs are legal to carry here and I I doubt that using one in public would shock many people, at least not the SC natives. Heck, balisongs were even legal to carry when I lived in Upstate NY, and still are for that matter, although opening one flamboyantly in public there would probably have raised more than a few eyebrows. Even with all that, I've only ever carried mine once, and that was back in NY, to show my supervisor. They're great for stabbing things, but I can't even remember the last time I needed to stab something with a knife. The blades tend to be thick, and relatively narrow, and none that I've seen have been grround with an eye toward slicing performance. IMHO, they've suffered the same fate as yo-yos, weapons reduced to use as playthings. Although, as with yo-yos, they're playthings that take considerably skill to operate impressively.
Could not agree with The Deacon anymore! Just to add a note of interest...like the balisong, the yo-yo was originally a filipino weapon...and like The Deacon says "they're playthings that take considerably skill to operate impressively" and I'd like to add "combatively". That said the Balisong is really an integral part of the Filipino Stick and Dagger fighting art, called by various names ie. Kali, Escrima, Arnis De Mano etc. You can flip a balisong all you want....do Ariel spins and catch it behind your back and make a you tube video....you might look good for the camera....chances are you don't know how to fight with a balisong. If you want to know why I'll tell you but will save it for another post....If I had an edc choice and the balisong knife were in the mix....I would not choose it....(and that's coming from an Instructor of the Filipino Martial Arts).....just saying....Doc:)