Spyderco Autonomy

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
The Deacon

Re: Spyderco Autonomy

Post by The Deacon »

thelock wrote:As a huge fan of Spyderco's H1 line, this one is a must have for me. My question is, will this come in any other blade shapes or just the sheepsfoot?
Guess that will depend on two things. The first would be whether or not it's physically possible, whether the blade sits deep enough in the handle to allow for other than sheepfoot or wharncliffe blades without exposing the tip. The other would be whether Spyderco thought other blade shapes would sell well enough to justify producing them. As things stand, given the hoops they have to jump through to market autos, I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever even see the non Coast Guard sheepsfoot version. :(
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
thelock

Post by thelock »

The Deacon wrote:
thelock wrote:As a huge fan of Spyderco's H1 line, this one is a must have for me. My question is, will this come in any other blade shapes or just the sheepsfoot?
Guess that will depend on two things. The first would be whether or not it's physically possible, whether the blade sits deep enough in the handle to allow for other than sheepfoot or wharncliffe blades without exposing the tip. The other would be whether Spyderco thought other blade shapes would sell well enough to justify producing them. As things stand, given the hoops they have to jump through to market autos, I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever even see the non Coast Guard sheepsfoot version. :(
If it didn't come out then it would be a huge disappointment. I am disappointed with Spyderco and other major knife brands as it is, for leaving behind the auto and balisong market, it is like they gave up to the general perception of the sheeple that these are ''dangerous'', letting them win instead of keeping production up and fighting for changes in the laws. The autonomy should be a spyderco regular production knife, just like the civilian is, I don't think the civilian sells very well but it is different, it serves a different purpose just like the Autonomy. One problem might be the H1 steel, maybe the Japanese are hesitant in shipping the steel to the US.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

thelock wrote:If it didn't come out then it would be a huge disappointment. I am disappointed with Spyderco and other major knife brands as it is, for leaving behind the auto and balisong market, it is like they gave up to the general perception of the sheeple that these are ''dangerous'', letting them win instead of keeping production up and fighting for changes in the laws. The autonomy should be a spyderco regular production knife, just like the civilian is, I don't think the civilian sells very well but it is different, it serves a different purpose just like the Autonomy. One problem might be the H1 steel, maybe the Japanese are hesitant in shipping the steel to the US.
It's easy to sit in the comfort of our homes and display righteous indignation over the absence of this product or that in the marketplace. Businesses, on the other hand, need to consider whether they will actually be able to sell enough of said product to justify the expense of manufacturing it. In the case of products regulated by both state and federal agencies, they have to consider whether that level of sales will be possible without risking fines and other consequences.

I'd be a lot more impressed if you'd written that you were going to open a knife business and put up the money for an Autonomy Exclusive Run. Of course you'd have to agree to all the terms the Feds insist Spyderco must make its dealers agree to comply with.

The Civilian may not be a barn burner, in terms of sales, but anyone old enough to buy a knife can purchase it. If its sales, or the sales of any other knife in Spyderco's current production lineup, were legally restricted to the same degree that Spyderco's sale of balisongs and autos are restricted, I doubt it, or any of the others, would still be around.

If you can fault Spyderco for anything, it's for picking one of the states in the 10th Circuit to set up shop, and one with fairly restrictive state laws regarding the manufacture of autos and balisongs and an ICE field office with no borders to protect (and thus a desperate need to look like it's "doing something" to justify its funding) at that.

As for steel, if getting H-1 shipped to the USA is the only problem I'm fairly sure that since Spyderco considers LC 200 N corrosion resistant enough to use for the Tusk, it would satisfy virtually all potential Autonomy buyers. Heck, I'm not planning on swimming with one, so good old S30V would be fine by me.
Paul
thelock

Post by thelock »

The Deacon wrote:
thelock wrote:If it didn't come out then it would be a huge disappointment. I am disappointed with Spyderco and other major knife brands as it is, for leaving behind the auto and balisong market, it is like they gave up to the general perception of the sheeple that these are ''dangerous'', letting them win instead of keeping production up and fighting for changes in the laws. The autonomy should be a spyderco regular production knife, just like the civilian is, I don't think the civilian sells very well but it is different, it serves a different purpose just like the Autonomy. One problem might be the H1 steel, maybe the Japanese are hesitant in shipping the steel to the US.
It's easy to sit in the comfort of our homes and display righteous indignation over the absence of this product or that in the marketplace. Businesses, on the other hand, need to consider whether they will actually be able to sell enough of said product to justify the expense of manufacturing it. In the case of products regulated by both state and federal agencies, they have to consider whether that level of sales will be possible without risking fines and other consequences.

I'd be a lot more impressed if you'd written that you were going to open a knife business and put up the money for an Autonomy Exclusive Run. Of course you'd have to agree to all the terms the Feds insist Spyderco must make its dealers agree to comply with.

The Civilian may not be a barn burner, in terms of sales, but anyone old enough to buy a knife can purchase it. If its sales, or the sales of any other knife in Spyderco's current production lineup, were legally restricted to the same degree that Spyderco's sale of balisongs and autos are restricted, I doubt it, or any of the others, would still be around.

If you can fault Spyderco for anything, it's for picking one of the states in the 10th Circuit to set up shop, and one with fairly restrictive state laws regarding the manufacture of autos and balisongs and an ICE field office with no borders to protect (and thus a desperate need to look like it's "doing something" to justify its funding) at that.

As for steel, if getting H-1 shipped to the USA is the only problem I'm fairly sure that since Spyderco considers LC 200 N corrosion resistant enough to use for the Tusk, it would satisfy virtually all potential Autonomy buyers. Heck, I'm not planning on swimming with one, so good old S30V would be fine by me.
I don't agree with you. If you love your costumers sometimes you got to take some hits. A knife company like Spyderco should have at least one knife for each purpose. When I found out that they were discontinuing the auto line and the balisong line I was really disappointed. Judging by your theory, companies like Protech or Microtech would have been long gone by now. As for s30v, it would make no sense in making it in s30v, if you want an auto in s30v just get an embassy our citadel (oh wait, can't find them anymore lol), the point of this knife is very clear and in my opinion it should be a regular production perhaps in different blade shapes. With the H1 line, Spyderco has something that no one else has and they should use this to their advantage more. Btw I spoke to my dealer and he told me that the knife will be out soon!
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote: If you can fault Spyderco for anything, it's for picking one of the states in the 10th Circuit to set up shop, and one with fairly restrictive state laws regarding the manufacture of autos and balisongs and an ICE field office with no borders to protect (and thus a desperate need to look like it's "doing something" to justify its funding) at that.
Exactly...Spyderco needs to pull up stakes and move to Tennessee ASAP. At least another production facility should be opened here. Heck, we've got some of the most permissive knife laws anywhere...automatics are even allowed. We've got lots of large-ish dealers who'd welcome you & help you get settled-in.

Plus, it seems like everyday our local/state governments are offering incentive-laden packages to help with infrastructure. leases, and tax-relief packages for all kinds of businesses. Beretta, Volkswagen, & Bridgestone are the latest. Seriously Sal, you should look into it... :D

There's plenty of room to expand, lots of natural resources, plenty of interstate/rail/river access. Middle Tennessee is within a 500 mile radius of a lot of America's densest population centers. Professional sports teams are based here. We have a well-educated workforce with a work ethic that is unmatched. Not to mention the Southern Hospitality that Tennessee is known for... :)

I can see the tang stamps now: "Spyderco...Nashville, Music City, USA, EARTH" :cool:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

thelock wrote:I don't agree with you.
That's fair, seeing as I don't agree with you.
thelock wrote:If you love your costumers sometimes you got to take some hits.
The only question is how many hits one company can be expected to take. I know there have been a number of collaboration models, and even a few in house designs that Spyderco lost money producing. I'm **** pretty sure they took a major hit on the Bi-Fold. It couldn't be marketed legally to "regular folks" and, given it's size and oddity, I can't imagine too many cops and military people wanting one.
thelock wrote:A knife company like Spyderco should have at least one knife for each purpose. When I found out that they were discontinuing the auto line and the balisong line I was really disappointed.
We all face disappointment sometimes. I was devastated when Spyderco dropped the Kiwi, but I can understand that sales didn't justify keeping it in the lineup and I'm fairly certain the Citadel, Embassy, SmallFly, and Szabofly would still be around if sales had justified their retention. Not to mention that, by your logic, Spyderco would still be a failure even if they offered a balisong and an automatic since they don't offer a machete, a multi-blade "traditional" slipjoint folder, or an example of several other knife styles.
thelock wrote:Judging by your theory, companies like Protech or Microtech would have been long gone by now.
If they were located in Colorado, they probably would.
thelock wrote:As for s30v, it would make no sense in making it in s30v, if you want an auto in s30v just get an embassy our citadel (oh wait, can't find them anymore lol), the point of this knife is very clear and in my opinion it should be a regular production perhaps in different blade shapes. With the H1 line, Spyderco has something that no one else has and they should use this to their advantage more.
Ok, so that makes one person S30V would make no sense to. As for the Citadel and Embassy, I already have both, and that would not stop me from looking forward to another Spyderco auto in S30V. Besides, I never said an Autonomy in S30V would work for everyone, just that it would work for me. I may very well be in the minority. OTOH, so may you. You seem to feel H-1 is the Autonomy's major draw, but I'm not entirely sure most potential Autonomy buyers really care. As for blade shapes, I still think that would be at least partly a question of what the handle can accommodate without exposing the tip of the blade. Personally, I'd love to see uncoated PE sheepsfoot and wharncliffe versions, but I can understand the appeal of other blade shapes.
thelock wrote:Btw I spoke to my dealer and he told me that the knife will be out soon!
Well, that's good news for you and me, but I'm pretty sure there are folks who'll be disappointed because, to their way of thinking, Golden's entire production capacity should be devoted to the ParaMilitary 2, and others who feel that way about the Military, the Native V, or the Manix 2.
paladin wrote:Exactly...Spyderco needs to pull up stakes and move to Tennessee ASAP. At least another production facility should be opened here. Heck, we've got some of the most permissive knife laws anywhere...automatics are even allowed. We've got lots of large-ish dealers who'd welcome you & help you get settled-in.

Plus, it seems like everyday our local/state governments are offering incentive-laden packages to help with infrastructure. leases, and tax-relief packages for all kinds of businesses. Beretta, Volkswagen, & Bridgestone are the latest. Seriously Sal, you should look into it... :D

There's plenty of room to expand, lots of natural resources, plenty of interstate/rail/river access. Middle Tennessee is within a 500 mile radius of a lot of America's densest population centers. Professional sports teams are based here. We have a well-educated workforce with a work ethic that is unmatched. Not to mention the Southern Hospitality that Tennessee is known for... :)

I can see the tang stamps now: "Spyderco...Nashville, Music City, USA, EARTH" :cool:
I could make similar claims for the wisdom of them moving to the South Carolina Upstate, but it's hard to compete with a state where recreational pot is legal. :p ;)
Paul
paladin

Post by paladin »

*BUMP*

Any update on ETA for the Autonomy yet?
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Fooled by the old *Bump* post! Well played my friend...well played. ;)

I haven't heard anything yet, but i'll race to this thread if I do.

Dan
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

No sign of the Autonomy at Blade.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Pinetreebbs wrote:No sign of the Autonomy at Blade.
I am surprised to hear that. I wonder if they have one at Golden? I would love to get one in hand to see how it feels. Hmm...
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

SpyderNut wrote:
I am surprised to hear that. I wonder if they have one at Golden? I would love to get one in hand to see how it feels. Hmm...
I'm sure they do. Just too be clear, I really was speaking of knife sellers at Blade. It may have been in one of the Spyderco cases, but didn't want to just look. :cool:
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Pinetreebbs wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
I'm sure they do. Just too be clear, I really was speaking of knife sellers at Blade. It may have been in one of the Spyderco cases, but didn't want to just look. :cool:
That is a relief then, haha! I will have to see if I can find one when I go out to Golden in a few weeks. :)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco Autonomy Automatic Knife is shipping!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
guitarwolf

Post by guitarwolf »

Got my order in :)
GAMBIT61

Post by GAMBIT61 »

Mine is on the way! I'm excited. :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

"The Spyderco Store" website sent out an email and it looks like anyone could place an order for it.

I could be wrong.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

GAMBIT61 wrote:Mine is on the way! I'm excited. :spyder:
Mine is too! Can't wait!!
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Got mine today, it fires like a rocket!
GAMBIT61

Post by GAMBIT61 »

Received mine today. Top notch Quality all the way. I hate to admit this but, it was worth the wait.lol
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine arrived today. Works great right handed, but the button is really stiff when I try to fire it left handed.
Paul