Show your EDC

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Donut wrote:Where do you get a single cell light with a momentary switch... without doing a lego?
4sevens has many momentary flashlights, even single cell ones. Well when you mean momentary do you mean with a momentary fuction or JUST momentary with no way to click it on?
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Mano

Post by Mano »

Zenith wrote:Image
Zenith

That fixed knife looks really good, clean and sharp, could you share the details and availability?, thanks for the pic!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Mano wrote:Zenith

That fixed knife looks really good, clean and sharp, could you share the details and availability?, thanks for the pic!
It is a neck knife, though a bit large, will do some measurements for you. It is a hand forged knife by a local blacksmith. Comes with sheath. I will do a long term review about it in one month, or at least just after the holidays, going camping.

Details about the steel: Saben Silver
Samurai Stu wrote:I use this for forging blades. It's really tough and works well under the hammer. These are the specs as provided by Sanderson Special Steels

SABEN SILVER STEEL 1.2210 PRECISION GROUND DOWELL ROD B.S.1407 WERKSTOFF No

C 1.20
Si
Mn 0.40
Cr 0.40
Mo
W
V

Features and Uses

Saben Silver Steel is bright finished rod produced from hot rolled bar by means of centreless grinding.
The high carbon content of this steel means that it can be hardened to give considerable wear resistance and the chromium content adds to the strength and hardenability
As supplied however, the steel is machinable owing to the annealing treatment given to it prior to grinding.
Saben silver steel is spherodise annealed for best machinability, the annealed hardness being in the region of 270 Brinell (Rockwell C27). On hardening and tempering a hardness of up to Rockwell C64 can be obtained. Being in the spherodised condition, the material offers maximum response to hardening and the chromium content ensures deep hardening.

Applications

Saben silver steel finds innumerable uses in the tool room and in general engineering. The user can select a size suitable for his purpose, thereby reducing or eliminating the need for grinding or machining the finished part.

Applications include screwdrivers, punches, shafts,
axles, pinions, pins, die posts, instrument parts, model parts, taps and drills for mild steel, engravers tools, and fine cutters.

Hardening

It is preferable to heat the tools in a controlled atmosphere. If this is not possible, pack hardening is recommended. A reducing atmosphere is desirable.

Heat to 770 / 780ºC and when thoroughly soaked through, quench in water. (sizes up to 8 mm diameter may be oil hardened from 800 / 810ºC)
Tempering will be necessary.

Tolerances

B.S. 1407/1959 conforms with I.S.O. H8
Up to and including 3mm +0.00 – 0.014 mm
Over 3mm and including 6mm +0.00 – 0.018 mm
6mm and including 10 mm +0.00 – 0.022 mm
10mm and including 18 mm +0.00 – 0.027 mm
18mm and including 30 mm +0.00 – 0.033 mm
30mm and including 50 mm +0.00 – 0.039 mm

Tempering
Temper according to the purpose for which the parts are required generally between 150 / 300ºC

Rockwell CTemperature
63/65as quenched
63/65120ºC
64/62150ºC
62/61200ºC
59/58250ºC
56/55300ºC
54/53350ºC
50/48400ºC
The maker tempers to around 230 for temper. Around $90 local with some quick maths.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Donut

Post by Donut »

Monocrom wrote:SureFire.

I recently had my L1 modded to increase output on both modes. But even in stock trim it's an excellent light. Over-priced at $159 retail, I got mine for half off in used but mint condition from the B/S/T sub-forms over at the Candle Power Forums MarketPlace.
I had an L1, really was not a fan of that light. To use that as an example for a single celled light with a switch that won't fail seems like a bad example.
Drkknight614 wrote:4sevens has many momentary flashlights, even single cell ones. Well when you mean momentary do you mean with a momentary fuction or JUST momentary with no way to click it on?
If it clicks, it's a clicky. I believe we mean momentary only, which offers some reliability.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Here is the measurements.

OAL 210mm
Blade 95mm x 28mm x 6mm tapering
Handle 115mm x 25mm tapering x 7mm

In short. Its the thickest knife I have, but I love it.
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Mano

Post by Mano »

Zenith many thanks for the info, i will look into it as im interested

In the topic of flashlights: the best and most reliable momentaries i have found are from Peak flashlights, i have a 17500 QTC stainless steel Logan that takes 17500 and any type of AA size battery and its really reliable and tough, the momentary on it is WAY more durable than the one on my L1 and also the operating force is better in single mode, that light is my favorite EDC, will post a pic of it later
Mano

Post by Mano »

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Donut wrote:You know that the clicky switch is the source for most failures, right?
Not really, the only time I had a clicky-failure was with a Surefire E2e almost ten years ago now. Never had a problem since, my Sunwayman, Nitecore and Jetbeam lights are still going strong for almost a year now (I rotate on a weekly basis) with their clickies. I have a twistie light on my keys that's also doing just fine, but I prefer clickies.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Mano wrote:Image

Who makes that fixed blade? It looks sweet.
Mano

Post by Mano »

SQSAR, its a Frog Leg from Diaz Tools, a really nice knife.

Mr. Blonde, you have had good luck with your clickies, but really one of the weakest points of a flashlight is the clickie switch. tested both by companies as by final users. Of course some clickies are better that others, electronic clickies like the ones on HDS lights tend to last longer than purely mechanical ones, however mechanical momentaries are a lot more durable than clickies, the momentary in the Peak flashlight in my pic is a good example, i activate that thing a lot everyday even play around with it blinking to walls or whatever, and it still works like new.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Donut wrote:I had an L1, really was not a fan of that light. To use that as an example for a single celled light with a switch that won't fail seems like a bad example.
I honestly don't see why that would be the case. Mine has never failed me. It is a light that runs off of a single CR123 cell, and it does have a momentary tailcap switch. You can press the tailcap switch as much as you want, but the light is never going to click on. If you want constant-on, you have to twist the tailcap to get it to stay on. Otherwise the light will switch off the moment you pull your thumb away from the switch.

It's actually an improved momentary switch because it allows the light to be dual-mode while still retaining the excellent reliability that comes with using a momentary switch. I've found it works very well. I liked the form factor so much that I had mine customized to update the LED technology. Told the guy not to change the beam profile on either mode. He did a great job.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

I've been having a heck of time with my preon 2. I keep accidentally turning it on in my pocket somehow.

Probably going to get a Quark miniX 123. I'm only really familiar with 4sevens lights, but the site I order from has Fenix lights as well.
ShawnKirkpatrick

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

Here's my EDC knife, I haven't took any pictures of my other stuff i carry... yet. I have some more pictures of this knife on my profile

[ATTACH]17966[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17967[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17968[/ATTACH]
Attachments
DSCN4305.jpg
DSCN4305.jpg (45.94 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
DSCN4302.jpg
DSCN4302.jpg (46.94 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
DSCN4300.jpg
DSCN4300.jpg (95.49 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Just chilled with a good book and the Smith forged blade

Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Mike79 wrote:I've been having a heck of time with my preon 2. I keep accidentally turning it on in my pocket somehow.

Probably going to get a Quark miniX 123. I'm only really familiar with 4sevens lights, but the site I order from has Fenix lights as well.
Fenix is on par with 4sevens, in terms of quality. I own a handful of Fenix models, and they've served me well so far.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Monocrom,

I've been thinking about buying a Sunwayman V10R light, I was wondering if you had any experience with that brand. I've watched several videos on the brand, and the light in particular, and I'm really itching to buy one. If you do, could you give me your experience on them.

Thanks in advance.
Koa, my real name.
Studey

Post by Studey »

spyderkoholic wrote:Monocrom,

I've been thinking about buying a Sunwayman V10R light, I was wondering if you had any experience with that brand. I've watched several videos on the brand, and the light in particular, and I'm really itching to buy one. If you do, could you give me your experience on them.

Thanks in advance.
Koa, my real name.
I'm not monocrom, but I have a V10R Ti that I really like. It doesn't throw quite like a Surefire, but it puts out an impressive wall of light. The size is very easy to carry, and the variable output is very useful. If I know I'll be in a rural setting, I carry a Surefire (E1B or LX2), but if Im in town, I carry my Sunwayman.

The one downside is the clip. I attached an aftermarket Ti clip, and it's a vast improvement!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Studey,

Awesome, because I'm always in a city or town setting and I always EDC a light. I think my mind is made up now, I'm going to buy the Sunwayman. I actually want the Titanium version, but I really can't justify the cost of that bad boy. Especially since we have a big family and a lot of money was spent on presents.

Oh well, I'll have to wait till next payday, but then I'll put my order in. :) Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Koa
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

What is the angle you have that edge set at on your Zero Tolerance Chuck? Looks a bit steep, , or is it an optical illusion?