Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Jazz

Re: Show your mods!

Post by Jazz »

Nice job Pyrite. Looks slick. Thanks for sharing. File work was some of my first modding.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Nothing too fancy on any of my Spyderco's yet, Had a custom scale made up for my ZT550 and acid etched the blade.
-My Native 5 cf cpm110v, Had to fix up an uneven factory grind on the spine, going to smooth it out when I get a chance.
-Manix2 Cru-wear, Didn't like the sharp edge on the spine.
Attachments
native5-2.jpg
native5-1.jpg
manix2-2.jpg
manix2-1.jpg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Pyrite

Post by Pyrite »

I've done some other Spydie filework and mods.

A sickness, probably. :)
Attachments
3bladefiles.JPG
3bladefiles.JPG (22.23 KiB) Viewed 8336 times
flatside.jpg
P1030257.JPG
enduraright.JPG
762cal

Post by 762cal »

So.. I really like the RAT-1 made by OKC. It was my first "nice" modern folder. I carried it exclusively about 2 years... The thing is, since I got spydies I almost never carry anything without a hole. so then I requested a friend, local maker around here to make a new blade for the RAT1. one with a hole. Flat saber grind D2 steel (not really D2 but the equivalent of D2 easily found here --- SKD11 if im not mistaken?), 0,2mm thicker than the original blade - he removed the nylon washers and the result is terrific.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

762cal, that is very cool. That's a different mod if I've ever seen one.
- best wishes, Jazz.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

Jazz wrote:762cal, that is very cool. That's a different mod if I've ever seen one.

Thanks Jazz. :)

in hand pic

BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

Monster Hedgehog vs Tenacious (Carbon Skeletonized). Who will win?!

Enigma

Post by Enigma »

BronislovasLTU wrote:Monster Hedgehog vs Tenacious (Carbon Skeletonized). Who will win?!
Tenacious will have the edge....pun intended :p
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So the only thing that I didn't really like about the K-2 was the tip. To me it just made it seem like it was trying too hard if that makes sense to anyone other than me, lol. Too fancy and seemed delicate, probably wasn't. I was originally planning, and still might take it down so the spine is flat,( you should be able to see the tape line for it) but once I started I kind of liked the way it was looking so I stopped here, for now...
Attachments
spyf2.jpg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
remnar

Post by remnar »

spyderg wrote:So the only thing that I didn't really like about the K-2 was the tip. To me it just made it seem like it was trying too hard if that makes sense to anyone other than me, lol. Too fancy and seemed delicate, probably wasn't. I was originally planning, and still might take it down so the spine is flat,( you should be able to see the tape line for it) but once I started I kind of liked the way it was looking so I stopped here, for now...
I like that a lot. I don't think that I would like a flat spine as much, but I think either would improve the looks of the knife.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

just put an aftermarket CF scales.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

remnar wrote:
spyderg wrote:So the only thing that I didn't really like about the K-2 was the tip. To me it just made it seem like it was trying too hard if that makes sense to anyone other than me, lol. Too fancy and seemed delicate, probably wasn't. I was originally planning, and still might take it down so the spine is flat,( you should be able to see the tape line for it) but once I started I kind of liked the way it was looking so I stopped here, for now...
I like that a lot. I don't think that I would like a flat spine as much, but I think either would improve the looks of the knife.

While I still think it would look good with a flat spine, I feel this way it retains the intended lines of the knife and blade shape while losing the awkward tip. I found it snagged on things while using it, no more. I tried to compliment the angle of the blade where it meets the handle in the angle I ground it at the tip.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

After a few weeks of pocket time and use there's one feature of the Yo2 that I disliked: the handle masks a small section of the Spyderhole, meaning my fat thumb has missed deploying it a couple of times. Not the most earth-shattering of modifications.

A few minutes with the dremel and I'd got the profile to my liking- Had to just kiss the liner to get the shape as I wanted, but I don't mind.
Kinda mirrors the compression lock in aesthetics.

Ergos unaffected but I can now get my hole thumb-tip into the hole (ala the Military, my surest deploying Spydie).

Before
Modded
Liner just winking through the G10- mirrors the compression lock on the spine, I think
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That's nice. ^ I dislike when the holes are partially hidden. I fixed a Native and some UKPKs up real good too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I made some blue G10 scales for the Stretch yesterday. It is now linerless with the yellow G10 backspacer being fully machined to hold the lock back spring. I stripped the black off of the clip and gave it a "gun metal gray" from torching and sanding it. The SB Stretch is smoother than before the mod, lighter, and (IMO) a whole lot cooler looking.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That's really eye catching and nice, Golden. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

This is a Squeak I've had on my bench for several months. I found a really interesting piece of figured Chechen scrap at a local hardwood dealer. He let me have the scrap because it didn't appear to be good for much. I brought it home, planed it smooth, cut out damaged parts of the block and found some really pretty wood. After resawing some blanks and sanding them flat, this is what I was left with. This is the first time I've used Chechen, and it is a great wood to work with. It cuts and sands easily, but is also hard and durable. The finished wood has some interesting grain, with a lot of chatoyance and flash under the surface.

Since I hadn't worked with Chechen before, I took another piece of the scrap and tried out several different finishes with it. I ended up soaking these scales in Odie's Oil, which is a mixture of wax and oil. It is food safe and used frequently for cutting boards. To apply it, you liberally coat the wood, rub it in vigorously, and leave the scales to begin curing. After 24 hours, you wipe off all the excess and lightly buff the scales - then leave them to fully cure for four or five days. I finished them off with a good buffing and a coat of Renaissance Wax.

TedP

Jean-Luc LC

Tenacious Tanto

Post by Jean-Luc LC »

I love the full size handle of the Tenacious, but thought the blade itself could be a tad shorter...
... and as I also was looking for a Spyderco tanto and could not find one (especially on my budget), I simply modified my Tenacious to a Tanto blade shape.
Here goes...
Before and after
Before and after
Closed
Closed
Opened
Opened
Open (alternate view)
Open (alternate view)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »