Bounty of the Forest

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
remnar

Bounty of the Forest

Post by remnar »

Jazz

Re: Bounty of the Forest

Post by Jazz »

Cool. Did you pick them, and are they edible?
- best wishes, Jazz.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Jazz wrote:Cool. Did you pick them, and are they edible?
Yes, I picked them. The yellow ones on the left are chanterelles. They are edible and will be eaten tonight. The white ones on the right are called angel wings. I have eaten angel wings before and many books report them as edible, but when I did a quick internet search yesterday I found some new information about them possibly being poisonous. I don't need to take my chances so I tossed the angel wings. The dark purple one in the middle is an Admirable Bolete. They are tasty but they aren't as abundant. I wasn't lucky enough to find any Matsutake mushrooms this time but I hope to before the end of the season.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

chanterelles are one of most delicious mushrooms I ever had. There was a restaurant in Brooklyn, which had them in their menu. My wife and I went there few time just to have them. Once in a while you can find the in Costco, probably they are farm raised and do not taste that good. Also in Costco they are almost brown.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I have to say, mushrooms just taste great, and I wish I knew which were edible. I'd be scared to try them. My neighbor brought over some shaggy manes (is that right?) and they were good. I'd love some mushroom variety.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very cool. You're making me hungry. Welcome to the forum, ebxbaw. Image
- best wishes, Jazz.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Nice haul!

I love mushroom hunting! I worked as a forester in the redwood/doug-fir forests of Mendocino county in Northern CA for a little while, and finding mushrooms was a perk of the job! We mostly found an assortment of boletes, with a good amount of Oyster mushrooms and some chantrelles.

Though the low level of rain the past few years left us with fewer of the chantrelles.

If anyone is looking for a mushroom pocket identification guide check out 'All that the rain brings and more' which is a fantastic ID book. It also has a corresponding 'Mushrooms Demystified' ID book that is much larger and more of key to identifying more specifically all types of mushrooms.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I was so happy when the USN Lady bug Hawkbill was released with plain edge! Had to get one for a dedicated mushroom hunting knife!!
-Nick :bug-red
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Very nice haul! :)

I love Chanterelles as well, and often find many while cycling. I carry baggies to grab them and put in my camelbak.

Do you get Morels in your area as well? I get some in my yard and love them!
Same with Chicken and Hen of the Woods, but I don't find near as many as I do Morels...

My wife and I have taken that "mushrooming" class that REI offers seasonally. I forgot much of it though. :o
Going back to Caly.
remnar

Post by remnar »

SpeedHoles wrote:Very nice haul! :)

I love Chanterelles as well, and often find many while cycling. I carry baggies to grab them and put in my camelbak.

Do you get Morels in your area as well? I get some in my yard and love them!
Same with Chicken and Hen of the Woods, but I don't find near as many as I do Morels...

My wife and I have taken that "mushrooming" class that REI offers seasonally. I forgot much of it though. :o
We do get morels in this area but I am not as familiar with them so I usually don't pick them. I do find chicken of the woods and cauliflower mushrooms occasionally. Both of them are easy to identify and can be delicious but my favorite is the Matsutake. :)