Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
remnar

Re: Show your mods!

Post by remnar »

I've had my Chaparral 2 for over two years now but I gave up carrying it because of the sharp edges. Some of you might remember me complaining about it at the time. Yesterday I finally decided to do something about it and I got the sandpaper out and took care of the problem. I also figured that since I had it apart, I should add some color to the scales. The knife has a much better feel now and I'm very pleased with how the anodizing turned out. I wasn't sure how it would work on the "stealth" machining.

This one is definitely getting some pocket time now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's really nice. I like how the machining in the Ti gives the illusion of different shades of blue.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

Evil D wrote:That's really nice. I like how the machining in the Ti gives the illusion of different shades of blue.
Thanks David. I was worried about how the machining would look but It came out as I had hoped. :) :spyder:
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

So, ages ago I got some CNC machined scales for the Southard in phosphor bronze....these deleted the liner but left me with the lockbar cover in that brown plastic that (while functional) niggled at my sense of completeness. I wanted an ALL metal Southard.

After a bit of thought, and some googling, I found out that buying a sheet of bronze of the right thickness would run me more than I was willing to pay when I only needed a tiny little washer (basically)....Then I found out that a 20 EU Cent coin was made of a form of bronze that would look about right when oxidised through use. (UK 'copper' coins turn out to be steel cored- the EU coins are solid bronze)

So- bit of drilling and (a LOT of) filing and one 20 cent coin has become my lockbar spacer- and my Southard is now ALL metal- not even a whiff of plastic :)

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

What a splendid Idea Demoncase, that looks great :)

and love the anno job on those scales Remnar, they really came out nice. :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

demoncase wrote: Image
Brilliant idea.
remnar wrote: Image
Beautiful, and I love the color.
- best wishes, Jazz.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Here's a another shot for those interested in a closer look.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Who here has heat/flame anodized titanium? Really thinking about doing the mantra buttttttt..... idk lol.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Just practiced on a military pocket clip. Not too bad. Going to practice on a couple more I think then see if I have the courage to take the torch to the mantra scales.

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I did it!

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

remnar

Post by remnar »

travvy, The Mantra looks good and I really like the pocket clip. :) :spyder:
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Thanks! Not bad for my first time. I tried doing the mantras pocket clip too butt colors went too fast lol. It was quite fun though. I NEED MORE TITANIUM!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

demoncase wrote:Here's a another shot for those interested in a closer look.

Daaaaang where did you get that scale? That puts the Southard into the 11s.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

i am travvy wrote:Image

I don't think I could resist taking it a step further and stonewashing that.
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote:
Sit ye down and hear the tale: I was googling Southard Custom Scales at 11pm with a surfeit of good bourbon flowing through my bloodstream...About 5 pages in a found an Australian page selling a couple of these amazing CNC machined liner delete scales.

The titanium ones were all gone but there were 2 phosphor bronze ones showing as in stock....I hit buy it now and they arrived a few weeks later
(One of the few drunk online purchases that didn't result in buyers remorse for me- another time we'll talk about the 20lbs of 1/2" glow-in-the-dark pebbles I bought while 3/4 of the way down a bottle of Dow's 2008 reserve port :D )

I have not seen the website since, search as I might- plus I haven't seen the original maker (who was referred too only by a first name) anywhere.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

demoncase wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sit ye down and hear the tale: I was googling Southard Custom Scales at 11pm with a surfeit of good bourbon flowing through my bloodstream...About 5 pages in a found an Australian page selling a couple of these amazing CNC machined liner delete scales.

The titanium ones were all gone but there were 2 phosphor bronze ones showing as in stock....I hit buy it now and they arrived a few weeks later
(One of the few drunk online purchases that didn't result in buyers remorse for me- another time we'll talk about the 20lbs of 1/2" glow-in-the-dark pebbles I bought while 3/4 of the way down a bottle of Dow's 2008 reserve port :D )

I have not seen the website since, search as I might- plus I haven't seen the original maker (who was referred too only by a first name) anywhere.

Wow, what a bummer.

On one hand I do like how the G10 contrasts with the Ti (I've even come to like the brown) but I never really came to terms with the asymmetrical scale thickness and since it already has a Ti liner it just makes sense to make it all Ti.

How does your liner deal with the floating stop pin?
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Wow, what a bummer.

On one hand I do like how the G10 contrasts with the Ti (I've even come to like the brown) but I never really came to terms with the asymmetrical scale thickness and since it already has a Ti liner it just makes sense to make it all Ti.

All the spaces that were machined into the Ti liner are machined directly into the phosphor bronze scale....so it's like factory, basically :)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

demoncase wrote:
Evil D wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Wow, what a bummer.

All the spaces that were machined into the Ti liner are machined directly into the phosphor bronze scale....so it's like factory, basically :)
Right but the stop pin was held in by the G10 liner, so is that scale just thick enough to do the same? I ask because I'd like to find one of these someday. Gotta know how it works lol.
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Evil D wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Wow, what a bummer.

Right but the stop pin was held in by the G10 liner, so is that scale just thick enough to do the same? I ask because I'd like to find one of these someday. Gotta know how it works lol.
Yep- recess machined in and thick enough to do the same.