My One-A-Day thread

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
demoncase

Re: My One-A-Day thread

Post by demoncase »

Ladybug family.

Top to bottom:
H1 Hawk Ladybug
Rescue Ladybug
Jester
Tattoo Ladybug.

All 4 have good points- But compare the ergonomics of these knives with anything of similar size from other manufacturers and it's Spyderco that shine every time.
I love the little Hawkbill and Rescue version- for these small knives a full serrated edge means they can cut way outside of their weight category.
The Jester's foreward jimping makes it into a very handy little craft knife- a mini-ATR almost.

For off-key chain use, they need a little lanyard as shown- about the only knot I can do worth a fig is the Hangman's so that's what I've done :)
I can slip my little finger into the 'loop' of the noose and let the closed knife dangle from it as a I move stuff then pendulum it up into my palm, open it and cut with tension on base of the handle through the lanyard.

I'm certain that I'll various other members of the family as the years go on- for the money they are mega-collectable.

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Clipitool.
Seen here in it's natural habitat, attached to my carbon fibre folding key holder with tritium vial and QD snap.
I removed the clip as there's already one on the keys.

Superb little bit of kit- this is the bottle opener/prybar version- It's a total boon to have on your keys as you resist the urge to pry with something less easy to replace or repair. Works excellent on every bottle I've used it on so far to. *hic* ;)

Alphabet soup steel is easy to sharpen and like a good polish on the ultrafine rods of my Sharpmaker. Never going to win an edge retention contest with S30V but fine and dandy for a small pocket-chain knife.

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Dragonfly

This is an early model in AUS-8 with the moulded in clip.
Came to me well used and has since been equally well used by me....Had it a good 10 years too.

Not much to say apart from it sold me on that a very small serrated Spyderco can do way more than many 'other brand's larger folders, while taking up less space and carrying less weight.

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Me likey, still!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

The SS PE Dragonfly AUS55 was one of my first Spydies and like you sold me on what a small knife could really do when made correctly. I had one of the integral clip DFly's but never liked it. Once the next generation cam out I have added 5 (Tatoo, H1 SE, G10, Black PE and SE, Purple and Orange). I gave away that integral clip spydie to someone who really appreciated it.

Those Clipitools look like a nice option for a secondary knife you don't have to worry about losing.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

akaAK wrote:The SS PE Dragonfly AUS55 was one of my first Spydies and like you sold me on what a small knife could really do when made correctly. I had one of the integral clip DFly's but never liked it. Once the next generation cam out I have added 5 (Tatoo, H1 SE, G10, Black PE and SE, Purple and Orange). I gave away that integral clip spydie to someone who really appreciated it.

Those Clipitools look like a nice option for a secondary knife you don't have to worry about losing.
The Clipitools are a hidden gem IMHO- the wife runs a pair with the scissors as here crafting kit while out and about (We take knitting, tapestry and crocheting on holidays with us)

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Urban Frankenspyder.

Someone addicted to the colour orange out there decided to swap the wharncliffe blade out for the original leaf blade, leaving them with this Frankenspyder. I love me some straight edge pocket knife and prefer handle colours in the sober range, so I snapped this up when it appeared.

This is the original G10 run and a features a very positive half-notch and strong back spring. The VG10 comes up sharp, and the whole package is rigid and tough feeling. It's a deceptively strong little slipjoint. It's very hard to decide if this or the Squeak is my favourite go-to slipjoint- both feature a low pocket profile and wire clip that I look for in my office type usage profile.

akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Sound like my in laws with the crafts when traveling. I just bring a portable chess board if I think I will be sitting around.

Good thing the clipitools are relatively inexpensive. I may have to add one in on my next purchase. You should petition Spyderco for a kickback on the sale. These threads get me thinking about next purchases more than any other.

As always enjoying this thread.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Kiwi Slipjoint.

Have used this quite a bit- a handy little pocket knife to have rattling around in your change. The choil makes this extra secure in use.

The spring on mine is the strongest I've experienced on a Spyderco slipjoint- it really takes some thumb effort and also snaps close a bit sharply for unwary fingertips....That's the reason I added the short lanyard for extra leverage for the one handed opening.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Roadie.

Born of a rather convoluted pathway- where the FAA had suggested EASA would be allowing a very specific type of folding knife back onto planes, Spyderco leaped in with their compliant design in anticipation.
However, it turned out this wasn't the case and the Roadie was born.
(Aside- this kind of duff info is typical of the FAA's field offices from my day-to-day experience in the aerospace industry. I can say for a certainty EASA weren't even considering it, being even more risk-averse than the FAA)

What we are left with is- in fact- an excellent little knife and what I consider to be the Spyderco 'modernized finger-nick slippie' of olden days of yore ;)

It's nearly impossible to open one handed just using your thumb- as required by the original spec.
You can grip the machined divot (Which is the original precursor of the Spyderhole) and hook the back of the handle against a clothing seam to lever it open if needs be.

Slipjoint is at a 'goldilocks' setting- neither too stiff nor too weak but just right.
N690 holds an edge nicely and the choil is well shaped to keep you safe in use. There's just enough curve to the blade to make it more versatile than the straight-up sheepsfoot or whancliffe.

This has turned out to be one of 'those' knives that everyone- even non-knife-folks- really like...My father in law had to be patted down at a family gathering to get it back after saying "Aww. That's a handy little blade. Oi loike that" ;)

This one is extra special to me as it was part of my first Amsterdam Meet goodie bag...I added a Spydie lanyard with some extra GITD paint in bugs to give my littlest finger something to rest upon.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Squeak

Another superb little office knife- the fat-seed shape to the blade makes it friendly
FFG N690 makes it slicey.

Just enough knife- when a UKPK sized edge is likely to scare folks

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Pride.

A story similar to the Roadie, but a decade and a half earlier: In the manner of the Victorinox stands you found in airports, this was intended to be a model with different enamelled country flags as a keepsake or present for people when you were on your travels.
Then September 11th 2001 happened, and no-one can buy sharp objects air-side any more.

It's a handy little slipjoint- the handle is alloy and similar to the same-period Navigator and Meerkat.
This is the US Flag version- probably the most common country to find.
AUS-6 blade is not going to blow your skirt over your head but considering the competition it was aimed at, capable.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

UKPK Lightweight

Not much to say about these that hasn't already been said- I like the frosted stonewash finish to early-run GIN1 blade. Matches the grey of the scales nicely. Solid half-stop detent.

I reprofiled the tip after a concrete post interaction. Oops.

Now sadly discontinued.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Swiss Family Buginson.

These make great gifts- every single family member has received a Bug at one Christmas or another over the last couple of years.
Non-locking for the UK market but retaining the classic 'style' of the Spyderco range that drew me here in the first place: the all stainless Police model

Size wise, the Honeybee is just about useful on a day to day basis, but the Grasshopper is more versatile.
The Bug is, obviously, a useable novelty and a last resort cutting edge when all else have been lost, misplaced or borrowed by other folks.

Great on a key-chain, these have been eclipsed in my usage by the Clipitool, which adds the utility of a bottle opener

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Air

So light, so slim- it's truly gem-like in build. Grey glass fibre, M4 steel and titanium liners- plus the action is as slick as a greasy BB: there is no friction at all through the opening swing- it's amazing.
The M4 Wharnie isn't hair-popping sharp- it's atom-splitting sharp!

Added the lanyard to make it easier to find in the pocket and draw from the unpictured pale leather pocket slip I had made for it.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Manix 2s

From the top- S30V FFG model with Ripps Gararge Tech OD aluminium scales and a lanyard
Original 154CM sabre grind with Putnam GITD scales, Pop's Ti deep carry clip and repaired bearing cage
Tranluscent LWT model in BDS-1

I find the M2 fits my hand better than the PM2 and I prefer the ambidextrous super-smooth action too.
My custom metal scaled one adds some weight- and what's not to like about the military styled black blade/OD combo?
The GITD I've owned 5 years and was a recent labour of love when a friend broke it- search for "$7 fix for broken Manix 2" to find the solution
The LWT is interesting- it kind of feels like an overgrown souped-up Delica 3- and that's only a good thing.

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

demoncase wrote:UKPK Lightweight

Not much to say about these that hasn't already been said- I like the frosted stonewash finish to early-run GIN1 blade. Matches the grey of the scales nicely. Solid half-stop detent.

I reprofiled the tip after a concrete post interaction. Oops.

Now sadly discontinued.

How does the GIN1 compare to the BD01 on the new ones?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

ChrisinHove wrote:
demoncase wrote:UKPK Lightweight

Not much to say about these that hasn't already been said- I like the frosted stonewash finish to early-run GIN1 blade.]
How does the GIN1 compare to the BD01 on the new ones?
About the same all round, as far as I can tell, in my usage.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Sante Fe Stoneworks Delica 2

Another perfect hard-use folder for the garage, farmyard or building site! ;)
Malachite and mother of pearl inset on the grip- it's purty.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Half day update- as it's a knife previously pictured, but now with something sexy from Cuscadi.

Aero carbon Domino- the finger holes make it even more tactile than before.