Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
remnar

Re: Show your mods!

Post by remnar »

Barman, Those look great! The Native kinda reminds me of a Nutter Butter. Delicious. :D
Barman

Post by Barman »

Jazz wrote:Those are sweet, Barman. Welcome over here, by the way.

Thanks!
I've got lots more where they came from. ;)
Barman

Post by Barman »

remnar wrote:Barman, Those look great! The Native kinda reminds me of a Nutter Butter. Delicious. :D

Mmm Nutter Butter...
Thanks remnar.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

sf2.jpg
sf3.jpg
sf1.jpg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
if6ws9

Post by if6ws9 »

New here, hi! I bought a Spyderco C26SRD Snap-It with the red and black handle sometime around 1995 but it somehow disappeared :( . I used to do a lot of rock climbing and it was a perfect design for me, I was fond of it. Anyway, I found a new R/B handled one on eBay for $115 but another seller had a used black handled one for $45, a much better deal. I just received it yesterday and added the lanyard and zip ties. It's in good condition but the blade needs to be cleaned a bit, there's a couple of spots on it, any suggestions? Here's a couple of pics:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

First off, welcome to the forum

Second, great bead, is this one from Lion ARMory? Love the patina, is it copper or brass?

As far as cleaning the blade you could try flitz metal polish or if you have a dremel use one of the small buffer wheels and a polishing compound.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
if6ws9

Post by if6ws9 »

Thanks! I'm not sure where I picked up the bead but it's copper and has some great detail to it, it even has tooth sockets on the underside (not shown in the pic). It's really an incense holder, lol! I do have a dreamed and will try that. Thanks for the advice!
Last edited by if6ws9 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sushimoto

Post by Sushimoto »

darr3n wrote:Added a wire clip to my Persistence. Replaced the rear standoff with a pivot assembly from a donor Persistence. Cut grooves in the stock scale with a dremel to accept the wire clip.

I love the mod darr3n. Way cool brother.
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

My Techno with custom Cuscadi GITD backspacer:

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

How's the action with the Cuscadi? I've heard mostly good things but a few people have complained about it being a slightly different width than stock...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Fits perfectly! Action is as good as with original blue.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

PiterM wrote:Fits perfectly! Action is as good as with original blue.
Good to know, looks great! Might just have to get one, one of these days.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a spare orange one due to a miscommunication. You can test it out if you want. They are pretty precise on their work.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Spyderco Worker (sprint run 2015). Making bocote wooden scales. This is (of course) a work in progress. So far the scales have a "draft" shape and I've thinned the wood with 60 grit sandpaper. They scales still need to be thinner if I want to be able to attach the clip and also shaped flush with the liners. I've got pretty high hopes for these scales. It's the first set of wood scales I've done.

Picture taken with flash

Front and back without flash

Does anyone have suggestions on a finish? I'd like recommendations to make the scales shiny or with a dull or "matte" finish? The scales are stabilized but will still need something to protect them from moisture I think. Wood experts,,, what I have in mind after most sanding is done I could use Tompson's water sealer. I also wonder when I put something wet on the scales will the grain swell at different amounts requiring additional sanding? Any tips for wood scales is greatly appreciated.

Jack
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Can't wait to see it finished, Jack. Looking good.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Look good for the moment ! Looking forward to see them finished or before if you shot different step of the making.
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here's the next "in progress" stopping point. It could be finished now but I think I want a shiny finish on it. I want something to bring out the grain. Does anyone have any suggestions? I put a coat of Thompson's water sealer on the scales to protect the wood from moisture but that's all. That stuff did cause the wood to swell a bit and I needed to ream out the screw holes with the bit I used to create them. I just held the bit in my fingers and spun it into the holes.

I was hesitant to show the opposite side of the knife because doing so would show a horrible mistake I made. But, I'll show it anyway. As on a lot of Spyderco knives I couldn't get the liners off the lanyard tube because during manufacturing I believe they swell the ends of the tube to make them fit very tight in the scales. That makes the ends of the tube bigger than the holes in the liners. In the past I have used a Dremel to very slightly grind the outside of the tube to remove the liners when I CAN'T get them off. This time I didn't do that. That meant I had to shape the new scales after the knife was re-assembled. The scales were way too thick and needed thinning. Being impatient I decided to thin them on the bench sander instead of doing it by hand. This turned out to be a poor idea. I sanded too much and flattened two screw heads. Actually, they still work perfectly and are now flush with the surface of the scale. However, this could have been disasterous. Even though it still works great, looks ok and really no harm done I'm thinking of getting another worker so I'll still have a perfect one. I was already wanting a backup anyway. The lockbar and pivot screw aren't as flat as the other two. So here's another lesson (I've had several :( ) in not getting in a hurry and wanting to finish a project fast. The only up side is I now see that I could (if I wanted to) sand the scales and screws to create a flush surface. I doubt I will want to do that in the future though. Still, all in all, this is still a great knife and unless anyone inspects it they shouldn't see the stupid mistake I made. :o I do like the wood being smoother than the G-10. It makes it easier to pull out of my pocket and shouldn't wear the top of the pocket.

So here's a picture of the other side of the knife.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Looks great! I've actually intentionally flattened the screw heads on some projects as It can make them look like they are a tighter fit and I think it looks good. Maybe you should just flatten the last one and just a touch on the clip screws so they all look the same? I like the matte finish, especially if it's a user, (as all mine are).
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm liking the work on the Worker! :)
Going back to Caly.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Nice work jackknifeh ! :)
I agree with Spyderg concerning the clip screws. ;)
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D