Opinel "Challenge"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
knivesandbooks

Opinel "Challenge"

Post by knivesandbooks »

So we're all knife nuts. We've got fancy steels, clips, handles of g10, carbon fiber, titanium, frn, and other fancy synthetics and organics.

But don't you ever want to take a slight step back from that and enjoy a knife as just a knife? Maybe reappreciate your modern knives; maybe gather some critical points against your modern knives?

Let me propose an Opinel Challenge. For a week, try just carrying an Opinel of your choice. I like the number 8 or 7, but the 12 is great as well.

The steels aren't fancy, with xc90 carbon or 12c27 stainless. But, the geometry of the blade makes up for it and I've found great performance, even at lower angles.

There's no pocket clips and it isn't thin in the pocket. It takes 2 hands to open. But once opened and locked (very solidly locked) it feels great in the hand. And if by chance you don't like how it feels, sand it down to how you do!

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said about an Opinel. But I think everyone owes it to themselves to try carrying one for at least a week.

I've been carrying my carbon #8 around a lot lately and I've been loving it. I've got a stainless with Padouk wood and a mirror polish on the way.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
demoncase

Re: Opinel "Challenge"

Post by demoncase »

I'd say everyone should have an Opinel in their collection- if only for how cheap and simple they are.

When sharp, my carbon steel number 8 is a serious slicer...but edge retention is as you'd expect, not fantastic

I'll be honest- I prefer the even simpler/cruder Higanokami Japanese traditional folder to drop in my pocket. I find the edge retention is better and the thicker blade more confidence inspiring.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

demoncase wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:42 pm
I'd say everyone should have an Opinel in their collection- if only for how cheap and simple they are.

When sharp, my carbon steel number 8 is a serious slicer...but edge retention is as you'd expect, not fantastic

I'll be honest- I prefer the even simpler/cruder Higanokami Japanese traditional folder to drop in my pocket. I find the edge retention is better and the thicker blade more confidence inspiring.
I do agree the Higanokami has a better blade steel. I disagree about the geometry. I also don't like the construction of them. They carry well but feel so dinky. There are some custom or small production similar friction folders coming from Japan than are nicer, of course not cheap.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

demoncase wrote:

Man, I like that statement! I like both Opinels and Higonokamis, too. I like the thicker blade stock of the Higos.

You know what I want to see, demoncase my friend? A LOCKING Higonokami. Do they exist? Could one be made reasonably?
SpyderEdgeForever

Our friend on the forum Vivi has proven that an Opinel, at least the carbone steel version, can be put to use as a survival knife and even be used for bush-crafting.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:55 pm
demoncase wrote:

Man, I like that statement! I like both Opinels and Higonokamis, too. I like the thicker blade stock of the Higos.

You know what I want to see, demoncase my friend? A LOCKING Higonokami. Do they exist? Could one be made reasonably?
SEF:
Similar though not simple like Higo:
https://www.amazon.com/KATSU-Camping-Ja ... 077CNYPW9/
Gary (BF member) posted comments about his on Amazon, I’d say good reference.

Or Shun
https://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM5900-Pers ... 0145QJJQU/
Chris :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you for those links!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'll take you up on this challenge, with the caveat I'll be carrying a Leatherman Rebar for the tools.

I EDC'd Opinels and SAKs before finding Spyderco. Going from their thin FFG blades to a saber ground Delica 4 made it tough to appreciate what Spyderco had going on at first.

The geometry of an Opinel is pretty much unparalleled, they take a razor sharp edge and they do it quickly. I reprofile 99% of the knives I buy. The Opinel is in the 1%.

I'll have to buy one since I've gifted all of mine to friends, but I know a few local shops that stock them. I'll report back with photos once I've gotten one.

One mod I always did to mine was sand down the rear top corner of the handle to make it a curve. Other than that I really like their handles. I'll try going stock at first, but I see myself doing that mod again.
:unicorn
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:07 pm
Thank you for those links!
You’re welcome!

I don’t have Opinel but agree the geometry is hard to beat. Heard the stainless is harder than the carbon, so it’s wear resistance maybe higher.
Chris :spyder:
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 am
I'll take you up on this challenge, with the caveat I'll be carrying a Leatherman Rebar for the tools.

I EDC'd Opinels and SAKs before finding Spyderco. Going from their thin FFG blades to a saber ground Delica 4 made it tough to appreciate what Spyderco had going on at first.

The geometry of an Opinel is pretty much unparalleled, they take a razor sharp edge and they do it quickly. I reprofile 99% of the knives I buy. The Opinel is in the 1%.

I'll have to buy one since I've gifted all of mine to friends, but I know a few local shops that stock them. I'll report back with photos once I've gotten one.

One mod I always did to mine was sand down the rear top corner of the handle to make it a curve. Other than that I really like their handles. I'll try going stock at first, but I see myself doing that mod again.
Let me know and I'll do it at the same time. I've been carrying it alongside a Spyderco lately.

Just stropped it up tonight. Was losing the lightsaber effect. A few light strops and it was popping hair again.
vivi

Post by vivi »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:47 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 am

Let me know and I'll do it at the same time. I've been carrying it alongside a Spyderco lately.

Just stropped it up tonight. Was losing the lightsaber effect. A few light strops and it was popping hair again.
Thats part of the beauty of simple steels. You can strop lower RC 1095 on a plain leather belt in the field and it will actually make a difference.
:unicorn
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Imagine the new Kapara with a blade geometry from an Opinel and an adequate steel ... phantastic! :p
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I love the standard carbon steel models but I retired my filleting version of the Opinel 12 after only a few weeks.

Like all of them, the handle swells and binds the blade, but trying to get that thin flexible sharp edge out of the handle is a flippin’ nightmare, and being so light the traditional Opinel tap dance doesn’t work, either.
SpyderEdgeForever

I am so glad you are all into Opinel knives, too, as I am.

One question for all of you: Do you think it would be a wise and profitable action if in addition to the knives they presently make, Opinel were to make a line with thicker blades, more along the lines of Spyderco and other companies, such as Cold Steel, that have thicker and different geometries like saber ground, or, they should stick only to the grinds and patterns they make now?

How thick are standard Opinel blades?
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:28 am
I love the standard carbon steel models but I retired my filleting version of the Opinel 12 after only a few weeks.

Like all of them, the handle swells and binds the blade, but trying to get that thin flexible sharp edge out of the handle is a flippin’ nightmare, and being so light the traditional Opinel tap dance doesn’t work, either.
That's the main reason I can't take them seriously as an EDC knife. I used a No8 Garden knife at work for a couple weeks, and just the humidity in the building caused it to lock up tight as a drum.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

even though I love my Salts,
I carry and use Opinels and Higos often, but with some simple mods :p

I keep both dry, to the best of my effort, but the blades patina in one day on my person! :eek:
Partly the reason why Salts are my main carry, even stainless steels will pit or rust on me quickly, but the Opies and traditionals give me a cutting performance more appropriate for detailed cutting, lunch time pause, and use among people or coworkers :o

and they make nice gifts, I've given away at least half a dozen the last years :)

awa54

Post by awa54 »

As an aside, how many of you have the older versions that don't lock the blade closed? All of mine pre-date the two-way lock or "carbone" marking on the HC blades (carbon steel was the default back then and the stainless versions were easy to spot by the shiny blade and red-brown walnut handle).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if I can have some SE?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 pm
I wonder if I can have some SE?
They have a half serrated with an opening shape
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 am
I am so glad you are all into Opinel knives, too, as I am.

One question for all of you: Do you think it would be a wise and profitable action if in addition to the knives they presently make, Opinel were to make a line with thicker blades, more along the lines of Spyderco and other companies, such as Cold Steel, that have thicker and different geometries like saber ground, or, they should stick only to the grinds and patterns they make now?

How thick are standard Opinel blades?
SEF, no I don't think so. The main selling point is the slicing performance.
But, if you're looking for that, hunt down one of those old Cold Steel Twistmasters from the 90s. Thicker blade stock and a zytel handle but same construction as an Opinel

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms ... B9BWRMYvNM: