Opinel "Challenge"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: Opinel "Challenge"

Post by ChrisinHove »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:54 pm
As an aside, how many of you have the older versions that don't lock the blade closed? All of mine pre-date the two-way lock or "carbone" marking on the HC blades (carbon steel was the default back then and the stainless versions were easy to spot by the shiny blade and red-brown walnut handle).
I replaced my 12 last year that was bought c1990. That only locked open & wasn’t marked carbone, but the beechwood eventually disintegrated around the locking ring.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Hey Peacent, doesn't that 1/4" hex base adapter set in your first image only fit the original Leatherman multi-tool? ...or do you use it without gripping it in a multi-tool?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Day 2 of only carrying an Opinel.
I've been using it for all of my food prep and as a steak knife. Cut some cardboard up and opened some packages. Still pops hair, cleanly slices phonebook paper. The way people talk about this steel, you'd think you'd have 10 cuts and it would be either ragged or dull.

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:38 pm
Day 2 of only carrying an Opinel.
I've been using it for all of my food prep and as a steak knife. Cut some cardboard up and opened some packages. Still pops hair, cleanly slices phonebook paper. The way people talk about this steel, you'd think you'd have 10 cuts and it would be either ragged or dull.

You can baton with an Opinel and still shave your face cleanly afterwards.

I meant to buy one today but I ended up picking up a new hatchet instead. I'll get one over the weekend.
:unicorn
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:34 pm
Hey Peacent, doesn't that 1/4" hex base adapter set in your first image only fit the original Leatherman multi-tool? ...or do you use it without gripping it in a multi-tool?

it's indeed the original LM Tool Bit Extender, but fits the Swisstool Spirit, some SOG, Gerber and some of the newer LM Tools too, putting it between the handles
I keep it in my "Multitool" box together with other extenders :o

knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Opinel day four:

Had to touch the edge up last night. It was still sharp but I accidently hit the metal corner of my desk at work when cutting and rolled the edge. Didn't take me long at all.

Also, I guess I'm a bit of an Opinel collector now haha. My Padouk wood, 12c27 steel with mirror polish is coming in tomorrow. Got that with a Knifecenter gift card. But I also ordered the last Ebony wood one with mirror polish 12c27 from Opinel. That one was pricey but I couldn't get over how good it looked and I feel like the big solid piece of ebony won't be as sensitive to moisture at Beechwood. Really, I just wanted it for the looks-- the ebony with the polish looks sort of like an old timey Al Mar. If I get any knife money over Christmas I'm going to pick up the dlc coated blade with oak handle model to have a 4 piece collection. Maybe try and get one of their full tang kitchen knives too.

I'll probably stop at that for now. I'll post pics of the Padouk tomorrow and the Ebony next week.
Btw, these pair great with a heavier duty knife like a Pac Salt or Police 4. Also, Opinels make your Police 4s feel heavy duty haha.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Also, this is dope. Their "nomad" camp kitchen knife set. Has a serrated 4.75" n.12, a 4" n.10 with a corkscrew, and a folding potato peeler. Also a beechwood cutting board and a rag.
Wish I could get the 4.75" serrated opinel by itself.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm planning to carry this along with a fixed blade for the next few weeks. Intend to use it as much as I can, with the FB and / or a Leatherman serving as back-up.

Really excited to cut some stuff with it. They're ground so thin, and I love the splinter picker tips.

I'm also ordering some of their paring knives. I've been looking at them for ages but never got around to it.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Vivi, you're in for a treat!! Once you go there, it's hard to come back. I ordered a set of paring knives for my wife last year. They're great!
Last edited by bearrowland on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have kept a #9 in the console of my truck for a long time now. I also carry it on occasion too.

They are super lightweight, super ergonomic and they are ground super thin. It may not be the most wear resistant steel but a knife this thin will keep cutting anyway.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I actually have a small collection, ranging from a No 4 through a No 9. I also have one of the orange No 8 Outdoors and a No 9 DIY
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

I am going to buy the #8 Garden Knife soon. Not too excited about it being stainless but the blade shape looks great.
-Darby
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Opinels are the Moras of the folding knife world. Reasonable quality, above average performance, super reasonable price. There's pretty much nothing not to love about them.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think my next one will be a #9. I want to grind the blade down to a wharncliffe, maybe reshape the handle a bit too.

I cut up an apple, made some feathersticks for a small fire, then broke down some cardboard. Cuts a lot better than my Police.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

They're truly timeless classics!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Bruh this makes me want to bust out my ebony one. Think i will.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tried out the Opinel 8 and my new Street Beat side by side on a few things today. Very similar blade length & shape, but much different geometry. The Opinel cuts so much better.

Patina starting to develop:

ThomC

Post by ThomC »

They're the knives I've mainly used for the past 10 to 15 years. They're so cheap and easy to sharpen I have at least one on me at all times.
Kinda hard to properly clean the pivot, and the patina is best scrubbed off regularly, lest the blade give the food you use it on a metallic taste.
I have n°7 through 10, and they all see use.
My n°8 has had the tip broken by someone who borrowed it, I'll just correct it over time and passes.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
vivi

Post by vivi »

I just ordered a #10. I've been using mine for food prep mostly and a larger blade will work even better. Thinking about trying one of the small non locking models too.