New Boots!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

New Boots!

Post by MacLaren »

I've needed a new pair for sometime now. But, what I did was I made a rush purchase. We have a pretty big snow storm for the weekend, and I don't wanna go in it with a pair of Adidas. I waited too long to buy, thus had to go to maybe one of 2 store in the entire county that even sell boots. Luckily, this store sold Irish Setter exclusively. I got the Elk Stalker, non insulated, but waterproof. Model 861. I feel I got them for a great price. $140 before tax. So far, they are really, really nice. Before wearing them, I put some snow seal on them. Just curious if anyone else has these boots and how have they held up. Thanx!,
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: New Boots!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Those sound very good. What is the traction on the soles like when it comes to ice and snow? Do they give a very good grip and give one confidence of not slipping?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Not sure. Just got em today. Although, they are very comfy, yet sturdy. They are the Air Bob soles, not Vibrom.
And, thank you. :D
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Yaktrax or Stabilicers are a must in ice and snow.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, Irish Setter is owned by Red Wings. These boots were made in Viet Nam. But, still they seem pretty good.
I could've gotten a pair of Danner Super Rain Forrest on line for $265 or $270, ( a special, at 20% or 25% off ) cant recall which. But, those are pretty hard core boots imo. Had a pair of Rain Forrest when I was a lot younger. They did last forever and a day though it seems.....
Hope these Irish Setter boots do too...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:18 pm
Well, Irish Setter is owned by Red Wings. These boots were made in Viet Nam. But, still they seem pretty good.
I could've gotten a pair of Danner Super Rain Forrest on line for $265 or $270, ( a special, at 20% or 25% off ) cant recall which. But, those are pretty hard core boots imo. Had a pair of Rain Forrest when I was a lot younger. They did last forever and a day though it seems.....
A survivalist guy I listen to on podcasts and his website is www.thelibertyman.com is a former Green Beret who does a really good show on survivalism as well as a few other topics has recommended "Danner" for quite some time now. I've used USA made Red Wing boots for quite some time and have had great results with them. It's been a while since I bought a set of them and I do hope that their top of the line models are still made here in the USA.

"OFF GRID" is a really good survival type magazine and it's one of the few I read anymore and they have reviews on boots about every other issue.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 am
MacLaren wrote:
A survivalist guy I listen to on podcasts and his website is www.thelibertyman.com is a former Green Beret who does a really good show on survivalism as well as a few other topics has recommended "Danner" for quite some time now. I've used USA made Red Wing boots for quite some time and have had great results with them. It's been a while since I bought a set of them and I do hope that their top of the line models are still made here in the USA.

"OFF GRID" is a really good survival type magazine and it's one of the few I read anymore and they have reviews on boots about every other issue.
Thanx JD!
You ready for Sunday? :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:37 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 am
MacLaren wrote:

Thanx JD!
You ready for Sunday? :D
Yeah I'm ready for Sunday but I'm holding my breath though :rolleyes: But seriously the two survival type magazines that I'm relying on the most are OFF GRID and "The BackWoodsMan". And do check out that website "www.thelibertyman.com. There is also a book seller that he pushes that is very much like the discontinued "Paladin Press" which I miss very much. It is called "Delta Press" and I think there is a link to it on The Liberty Man's website. Everything I've heard recommended on John Moore's ( the Liberty Man) website is top notch. He also sells those Katadyn, Swiss made water filters just to give you an idea that he is all about quality. I've been told for the past two years that you just can't go wrong with DANNER boots.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thank you JD. I will do that buddy.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've got to admit that other than the high end Red Wing and the DANNER brands I'm just not completely sure who makes high quality boots here in the USA as of this writting. But I do trust those two brands even though I've never owned DANNER before but I do fully trust the guy that recommends them.

I've often wondered where our good Canadian Brothers get their boots at and what brands they like the best? Reason being is that it gets so unbelievably cold up there that they have to wear the best just to keep from getting frostbite.

About 15 years ago I had a friend who just got out of the Military at that time and he gave me a pair of boots that he used up in Greenland that are mainly a snow boot but those boots were great in super cold conditions and I never ever got my feet cold anytime I wore them.. He said that they were called "Mickey Mouse" boots in the military :rolleyes: Seriously that is what he called them and he said that was what all the guys that served in Greenland military bases called them. Now they are not a hiking or hunting boot in the classic sense but they do indeed keep your feet warm. When my friend was stationed in Greenland he said it got so cold up there that it was literally dangerous at times.

But those boots are big and somewhat awkward looking but in dire cold weather conditions I've never found anything that can resists the cold that those boots do.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ha! Good stuff as usual JD. Thanx :) :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wear Red Wing King Toes 7 days a week, 16 hours a day. They're the most comfortable safety toe boots I've ever had on.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:18 am
I wear Red Wing King Toes 7 days a week, 16 hours a day. They're the most comfortable safety toe boots I've ever had on.
Those have to be some of the USA made Red Wing boots. I've had a lot of good success with RED WING boots myself. One thing that the dealer told me the day I bought my first set was to keep them well oiled. And I only used RED WING's boot oil and didn't use anything else on them. Now when I cleaned them I would only use Propert's Saddle Soap. I had tried at least 4 brands until one of my hunting buddies told me about Propert's Saddle Soap and since I've been using it I've not found anything that is nearly as good. Those two maintenance products work so well together.

I know this is mainly a thread about new boots and what we all think is the best but I'm always interested in the maintenance aspect of anything I use. So if any of you think that there is something better than the two leather products I've had good luck with I would love to hear about it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:48 pm
Those have to be some of the USA made Red Wing boots. I've had a lot of good success with RED WING boots myself. One thing that the dealer told me the day I bought my first set was to keep them well oiled. And I only used RED WING's boot oil and didn't use anything else on them. Now when I cleaned them I would only use Propert's Saddle Soap. I had tried at least 4 brands until one of my hunting buddies told me about Propert's Saddle Soap and since I've been using it I've not found anything that is nearly as good. Those two maintenance products work so well together.

I know this is mainly a thread about new boots and what we all think is the best but I'm always interested in the maintenance aspect of anything I use. So if any of you think that there is something better than the two leather products I've had good luck with I would love to hear about it.

No unfortunately these are made in Cambodia. They're also a "sneaker boot", so they can't be resoled which is a bummer because it seems like the soles will wear off before the leather wears out. I've beat these boots without mercy for about 8 months I think and they've showed no signs of falling apart but I have worn down the soles significantly. I would greatly prefer a boot that could be rebuilt, especially for what Red Wing are asking for these boots ($220ish) but as often as I'm on my feet and with the issues I've had with plantar's foot and such, it's a price I'm willing to pay once a year if that's what it takes.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-sh ... boot-brown

As far as boot care goes, I'm a firm believer in Obenauf's Heavy Dute LP https://www.amazon.com/Obenaufs-Leather ... B0002X520S
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:33 am
I've got to admit that other than the high end Red Wing and the DANNER brands I'm just not completely sure who makes high quality boots here in the USA as of this writting. But I do trust those two brands even though I've never owned DANNER before but I do fully trust the guy that recommends them.

I've often wondered where our good Canadian Brothers get their boots at and what brands they like the best? Reason being is that it gets so unbelievably cold up there that they have to wear the best just to keep from getting frostbite.

L L Bean still makes their classic boots in Maine. Filson still makes a few boot styles in the USA too. I'm not sure what our Canadian friends wear, but Kamik and Sorel are Canadian brands that seem pretty popular in the bitter cold of Northen IL and WI along Lake Michigan. Columbia owns Sorel, so most (all?) of their boots are imported now. Kamik still makes some of their boots in Canada though.

Edit to add: Belleville, Corcoran, and Rocky also still offer some Berry Compliant, USA made boots.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:06 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

L L Bean still makes their classic boots in Maine. Filson still makes a few boot styles in the USA too. I'm not sure what our Canadian friends wear, but Kamik and Sorel are Canadian brands that seem pretty popular in the bitter cold of Northen IL and WI along Lake Michigan. Columbia owns Sorel, so most (all?) of their boots are imported now. Kamik still makes some of their boots in Canada though.

Edit to add: Belleville, Corcoran, and Rocky also still offer some Berry Compliant, USA made boots.
I just happen to own some FILSON hunting/fishing clothing that I got from a store that used to be close by where I lived. They have really super high quality clothing and I'm most definitely going to get on the phone with them Monday to see what they have to offer in USA made boots. I've been really satisfied with the 3 FILSON items I own and I've been looking at their Merino Wool long underwear because the ones I've been wearing for the past 3 winters are starting to get worn out. I've also heard that all the Merino Wool products that FILSON sells are among the best available.

I never even thought to look on their website for boots and I always thought that they were in the clothing sector. There used to be a sporting goods store here where I'm currently living that sold SOREL boots but I just wasn't all that impressed with them. I'll certainly check out that other stuff as well. Before I pay the lofty price of a pair of DANNER boots I'm going to a store to where I can try them on. No way would I buy anything that critical and expensive on line.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Mac, nice boots!

I had an old pair of Redwings (moccasin toe, wedge sole) I loved but some bastard stole them and my Wrangler’s and belt out of the change room on a demolition site we were erecting a crane on about 20 years ago.

Anyhow, l bought a pair of Danner Elk Hunter’s made for Cabela’s about 10 years ago, thought they were too narrow, put them away, forgot about them and dig them up earlier this year. There’re not so bad as I remembered and I wore them a few times this winter. I like them a lot and they’re breaking in nicely and they’re fairly comfy.

I bought a pair of Georgia Mud Dogs earlier this year. I didn’t realise they’re made in China and the right boot is tight on my arch. Hopefully they’ll settle because overall I like them too. :)

P.S. No pressies under the Chrissy Tree yet with 4 little grandkiddies running around. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I wear Rocky SV2 boots on duty, I've worn red wing boots(or their subsidiary company's) boots for more than a decade. I've tried Danners, they last a long time, definitely durable, but the three models I've tried, ft lewis, acadia, and striker, aren't comfortable for me. The Rockies are just as durable as danners.

If cowboy boots are your thing, check out tecovas. Very good quality for a very good price. And you can try them on and send them back on their dime if you don't like them or they don't fit.

They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:51 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:06 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

I just happen to own some FILSON hunting/fishing clothing that I got from a store that used to be close by where I lived. They have really super high quality clothing and I'm most definitely going to get on the phone with them Monday to see what they have to offer in USA made boots. I've been really satisfied with the 3 FILSON items I own and I've been looking at their Merino Wool long underwear because the ones I've been wearing for the past 3 winters are starting to get worn out. I've also heard that all the Merino Wool products that FILSON sells are among the best available.

I never even thought to look on their website for boots and I always thought that they were in the clothing sector. There used to be a sporting goods store here where I'm currently living that sold SOREL boots but I just wasn't all that impressed with them. I'll certainly check out that other stuff as well. Before I pay the lofty price of a pair of DANNER boots I'm going to a store to where I can try them on. No way would I buy anything that critical and expensive on line.
JD, I got a pair of a now discontinued style of Filson boots, and a pair of Danner Acadia boots just after getting out of the Air Force. I worked at a hunting and fishing store in GA, so the employee discount helped greatly. Then the sleep problems and other problems from two deployments to Iraq caught up to me, I got fat, and my feet got too wide for both pair of those boots. The Danner Acadias were better than any boot I was issued in the USAF. When I buy another pair, they'll be something like the Ridge or Danner Light hiking type boots. Danner offers free shipping and returns on US orders - https://support.danner.com/hc/en-us/art ... ee-Returns. Amazon also sells them with free shipping and returns. Also keep in mind that Danner will resole and recondition their stitch down construction boots starting at $130 plus shipping - https://www.danner.com/media/forms/recrafting_form.pdf. Danners are totally worth it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well boys, looks like I'll be trying out these Irish Setters about tomorrow. Were looking at over 2 feet of snow for the weekend.
Which, is a good decent snow imo. Sure doenst snow like it used to though.... :( ( as often )
At any rate, I'm excited :)