Spyderco First, Aitor Second.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco First, Aitor Second.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

You are all free to your own opinions on this but I am convinced that while Spyderco is the number one best knife making company in the world, with the best selections and best quality knives, I am convinced that Aitor of Spain is the second best in the world, and the number one best in Europe, after Spyderco.

Aitor uses cutting-edge technology and steel and has great quality-control. The made in Spain Aitor knives are what I mean.

Those Spaniards never cease to amaze me. I heard and read that Spain makes some of if not the best ham and cheese in the world along with Italy.

GRACIAS! :)
awa54

Re: Spyderco First, Aitor Second.

Post by awa54 »

I'm in 100% agreement! ...on the ham and cheese ;) some really fantastic wines too!

Seriously though, the last time I looked at Aitor was in the CAS Iberia catalog that a friend had (he had a side business selling swords as stage props), that was 15 years ago and back then nothing struck me as being particularly above average, though they did look to be solid efforts as far as both details and execution.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

well, I won't argue on the ham and cheese :p

and even though I think Aitor is the most popular and classic Cutlery company from the 70, 80s and 90s in Spain and a good quality manufacturer, I am also sure they're far from the "latest and greatest" in manufacturing methods, materials, steels and technologies :o compared to many US an European brands today (FOX, Extrema Ratio, Maserin, Lionsteel, Manly, Viper, and others in the EU use much more up to date stuff)

And Aitor is lacking and stagnant, especially since 2003 when the owners sold the brand to China, outsourced production, reduced quality, changed factories and materials providers... :(
They've definitely lost their fame and damaged their image and reputation in the last 15 years :spyder:
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I had never heard of aitor and decided to check them out. looks like 50% or more is hollowhandled ramboknives, is that really a thing anymore. Fishingline and matchsticks in the handle? . I didnt find one that i personally would want to buy, but i'm weird and anti tactical. For People that like that kind of knives they are probably Great :)
I do love manchego, jamon and churros,i like my wine Italian (amarone), but if its hot i dont mind a bottle of cava :)
Lionsteel is more my cup of tea, so Italian knives and wine it is...
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
awa54

Post by awa54 »

...nothing else is Amarone! Although the better ripasso Valpolicella Classicos are quite good as well.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:37 pm
well, I won't argue on the ham and cheese :p

and even though I think Aitor is the most popular and classic Cutlery company from the 70, 80s and 90s in Spain and a good quality manufacturer, I am also sure they're far from the "latest and greatest" in manufacturing methods, materials, steels and technologies :o compared to many US an European brands today (FOX, Extrema Ratio, Maserin, Lionsteel, Manly, Viper, and others in the EU use much more up to date stuff)

And Aitor is lacking and stagnant, especially since 2003 when the owners sold the brand to China, outsourced production, reduced quality, changed factories and materials providers... :(
They've definitely lost their fame and damaged their image and reputation in the last 15 years :spyder:
But wait, while I know some of the newer models are made in China, the military models such as the Montanero and Gran Campero and numerous others are made in Spain, right?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm

But wait, while I know some of the newer models are made in China, the military models such as the Montanero and Gran Campero and numerous others are made in Spain, right?

AFAIK they are still made here, yes :o
SpyderEdgeForever

ThePeacent wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:23 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

This is very promising and good to know.

And here is the official website>

http://www.aitorknives.es/
SpyderEdgeForever

Peacent and anyone else interested: Click on the icon to the left for catalog and scroll down. Those are some cool knives. Check out their boot knife series, and that one called the Aitor Warrior. I like that saw back and clip point blade. Do those look hollow or saber or flat ground to you? How would you describe the grinds?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ThePeacent wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:23 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

What spanish made knives would you recommend?

And while I have your attention, what's the knife carry law in Barcelona? I'm headed there with my family in two weeks, and want to behave appropriately.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:55 pm
Peacent and anyone else interested: Click on the icon to the left for catalog and scroll down. Those are some cool knives. Check out their boot knife series, and that one called the Aitor Warrior. I like that saw back and clip point blade. Do those look hollow or saber or flat ground to you? How would you describe the grinds?
I think they are mostly hollow ground and saber ground
a few years ago I had the one below it, the Botero (Spanish for Boot knife), one of their most iconic blades :o
TomAiello wrote:
What spanish made knives would you recommend?

And while I have your attention, what's the knife carry law in Barcelona? I'm headed there with my family in two weeks, and want to behave appropriately.

Hi Tom
Firstly, on the law, it's quite complicated (long post):
► Show Spoiler
Secondly, regarding good Spanish blades,
the factory options nowadays are 20 years back in materials and technology, but our Muela fixed blades, Aitor heath knives and some of the Nieto and Cudeman options are solid pieces, Muela being more on the light use , sexy looks side (brass bolsters, wood handles, pinned tangs, etc.), hunting, fishing and kitchen use and the Cudeman/Nieto/Joker ones being solid performers for the outdoors, camping, hiking, woodwork, etc.

they also have folders, Muela has classic looking navajas and two handed folding knives with wood material, classy looks, that are quite overpriced for the materials but you won't find anything like them (they are modern versions of the original Spanish navaja knives) :rolleyes:
Aitor has their ATK (Aitor Tactical Knives) of rebranded Chinese made G10, cheap steel folders and flippers that can't compare to Kershaw, Real Steel, Kizer Tangram, Ontario RATs etc. for the price
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:33 am
Hi Tom
Firstly, on the law, it's quite complicated (long post):
Thank you! Much appreciated.