Mandolin

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Mandolin

Post by Doc Dan »

Does anyone here play the mandolin? I have think I am gaining an interest in learning to play one, but I wonder what a good started instrument would be?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mom3ntuM

Re: Mandolin

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I have played around with a mandolin a few years ago,, Nice little instrument. I have a gretch New yorker and it sounds and feels Good to me, pretty cheap to(250$).. But i dont know if it's the best choice for a beginner. I
played gitar for 25 years before i even touched a mandolin so i was pretty used to string instruments. I can imagine that mandolin strings is a bit rough on Virgin fingers, but the fingertips harden fast.
I think everyone should know how to play at least one instrument, and you wont regret learning the mandolin.
1543687970848129.jpg
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:29 pm
I have played around with a mandolin a few years ago,, Nice little instrument. I have a gretch New yorker and it sounds and feels Good to me, pretty cheap to(250$).. But i dont know if it's the best choice for a beginner. I
played gitar for 25 years before i even touched a mandolin so i was pretty used to string instruments. I can imagine that mandolin strings is a bit rough on Virgin fingers, but the fingertips harden fast.
I think everyone should know how to play at least one instrument, and you wont regret learning the mandolin.
1543687970848129.jpg
Thanks! I used to play the violin years ago until a neck injury left me unable to hold it up for long. I have been learning the guitar, but really am bored with it. The mandolin is tuned the same as a violin, so perhaps that is why I am drawn to it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:10 am
Does anyone here play the mandolin? I have think I am gaining an interest in learning to play one, but I wonder what a good started instrument would be?
A friend of mine is a great guitar player and played in a serious hard rock band here locally for quite some time. I've always been an admirer of that instrument and some of my most favorite musicians include Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore, Martin Lancelot Barre, Alvin Lee, and Brother BLOKE's first cousin Angus Young :D of ACDC.

But anyway my guitar playing friend and I were recently discussing the premium guitars he played over the years not too long ago. He showed me a catalog of GIBSON's great stringed instruments and I noticed that they made Mandolins. And with their super picky choice of exotic woods for their instruments that would be a good starting point. You sure couldn't go wrong with any of Gibson's great instruments. Personally I'm a bit of a FENDER man myself and I just loved the way the late Brother Jimi Hendrix played his Fender Stratocaster. I'm so privileged to have lived in the era I lived in.

But Doc keep us informed and let us know what you end up doing>> it truly sounds interesting and it sounds like you've got a passion for it already. But I would most definitely take a hard look at GIBSON's Mandolins.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Gibson does make beautiful instruments but They are pretty expensive, from what i found the used ones start at 1000 $ and New in an online store their cheapest was over 4000$ . If Money is no option, **** YES. But if one wants to try to play mandolin i would start with a smaller investment.
Fender also makes decent priced mandolins.
I'm not saying you shouldnt buy expensive high quality instruments, as with most things you get what you pay for.
But you dont need a 4000$ mandolin to get a feel for the instrument.
:)
James Dean
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think Gibson is a bit too rich for my blood. Plus, I just want a good beginner mandolin. I might not even like playing one. I cannot actually go and handle one. I have to order online and locally, even the cheap ones are double the normal price or more. I do have a luthier that can set up a cheap one, but if it is bad quality nothing can be done. Here are some models I have considered:

1. Donner A Style (package deal), solid walnut.
2. Hola! this is even cheaper and is solid maple (certainly not flamed!)
3. Ibanez. Solid spruce top, but more expensive.
4. Kentucky KM-150. This is the one I want but over here is is very expensive, even for the base model.
5. Ammoon acoustic electric. This is supposed to have a solid spruce top with basswood back and sides. It is such a good deal it makes me scared it is junk.
6. Rover RM-25s. It is cheap, solid basswood, but is often used for beginners.
7. Stagg M50E acoustic electric.

There are some others like The Loar, but the price is waaaayyyy too much, here.

I do not know what to pick. I am leaning towards the Donner because it is supposed to be okay and has a lot of good accessories in the package.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Looks like the donner is recomended for beginners On Amazon rewiews. ibanez make Good instruments, i have a couple of ibanez guitars, they are 20-25 years old so i cant speak of their current buildquality.
I found a the loar lm 310f in a Norwegian webshop for about 300$ but there where some expensive ones to.
I think That donner at under 100$ would be a Good place to start, as one rewier said" it mostly stays in tune" :P
James Dean
awa54

Post by awa54 »

this is the only mandolin I have any skill with:
Attachments
615rhzMLi3L._SL1500_.jpg
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:18 pm
I used to play the violin
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:39 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:18 pm
I used to play the violin
Hey, I thought I got rid of that picture! :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:32 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:10 am

But Doc keep us informed and let us know what you end up doing>> it truly sounds interesting and it sounds like you've got a passion for it already. But I would most definitely take a hard look at GIBSON's Mandolins.
I bought a The Loar LM-370, solid top, solid maple back and sides. I got a chance to play a couple of these (play with is more like it). They were professionally set up, so they were very easy to play. It is an F5 style with matte sunburst finish.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Congratulations Doc, beautifull looking mandolin.
James Dean
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks! That is not mine. I could not get my picture to post. But mine is exactly like it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Very nice mandolin, Doc! :cool: :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Oh wow. Beautiful instrument.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I love the Mandolin. I love the sound and they are often works of art. Record a song for us if you will. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Crux

Post by Crux »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 pm
this is the only mandolin I have any skill with:
Careful, that's a gateway drug to knives!
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Crux, I will think about doing that when I can actually play something. I am still learning my first song and trying to get my right hand and left hand to cooperate. Still, this is so much more fun than a guitar, for some reason. I practice every day and drive my wife nuts practicing while watching TV, too!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:39 am
Very nice mandolin, Doc! :cool: :)
The actual orange/yellow center is more subdued and nicer to look at on mine. I have a picture but cannot get it to post.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050