Cold Steel Finn Wolf: your thoughts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Cold Steel Finn Wolf: your thoughts?

Post by The Meat man »

I'm considering buying this knife, mainly for the grind and the lock. Also to help pass the time while I try to make up my mind which Spyderco I want to buy next. :)

What are your thoughts and experiences with this CS Sandi-folder?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Cold Steel Finn Wolf: your thoughts?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Meat Man, I am so glad you posted this thread and this question. This is one of my all-time favorite knives. The Scandi blade is very good and the AUS stainless is durable and as far as I can see, it is a great knife. The Tri-Ad Lock is notoriously strong and the Grivory handle scales are very comfortable, I prefer that configuration to the present Cold Steel Voyager series.

Cold Steel makes them in Blue and Red and Orange for the handle colors. The knife is a great all-around general-purpose cutting tool and would double for self protection.

Right now you can, infact, purchase one at Oso Grande Knives, and the original with Olive Drab Grivory handle is even lower cost there:

https://www.osograndeknives.com/catalog ... 26014.html

I must say, Lynn Thompson and his team really out did themselves this time. A person could carry a trinity of knives: The Spyderco Moran Fixed blade, a Spyderco lock blade folder, and the Cold Steel Finn Wolf, and you would be decked out for all your survival and everyday carry needs.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks SEF. One thing about it that worries me a bit is that the thumbstuds seem to be pretty far out in the cutting area of the blade. Do you find this to be inconvenient during use?

If I do get one, and I really don't like the thumbstud arrangement, I might consider cutting an opening hole.

I've also heard reports of the knife not being a true Sandi grind, but coming with a microbevel.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Scandi knives often have a microbevel, but they were likely seeing where the edge is deburred. It is easy enough to take it back to a true zero grind if that is what you want. The steel is decent, especially if you aren't used to things like S110V and Maxamet. The only time the thumb studs get in my way is when I'm sharpening, but that is a minor annoyance.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you again Meat Man for this thread. yablanowitz answered that question very well, and, here is what I experienced: The thumbstud on the Finn Wolf is workable, but, as you pointed out, it was getting somewhat in the way. Now are your ready for this? I found a Youtube video tutorial where a user of this very knife shows you how to remove the thumb stud: Before this, I had no idea it was that easy, and I think this may apply to other Cold Steel Knives. You just use a small screw driver as he shows in the video which I will post below. What is interesting is this: when I removed the thumb stud, what do I find but a hole in the blade. The downside to that is this: the hole is not large enough for practical one-hand opening. The upside: You can grip the exposed rear of the blade to open it with two hands, like a traditional two-hand opening folder.

Someone with machining ability could possibly widen the hole but I do not know what that would do to the steel, if it would ruin it or not.

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/yquc7nVfC4k

You will be able to see what that person did: He attached those plastic ties to the blade hole so he can open it that way.

He made a home-made wave, similiar to how our friend The Peacent has done with some of his folders as shown on here. Very clever method!

Here is a video where a man shows several different outdoor folders including the Finn Wolf and compares them:

https://youtu.be/ajILWvDXiZY
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks for the replies. That's good to know about the thumbstuds SEF. I work at a steel parts production facility, running a CNC Laser cutter as well as a large milling machine so I'm sure I could do a Spyder hole mod without ruining the temper.

Ultimately, this knife is so attractively priced I don't know why I shouldn't get it. :)
- Connor

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I have seen a Finn Wolf mod with the Spyderhole,
and yeah most Cold Steel thumb studs are easily removed, I took all these off in 15 min :D

I like this model especially the colored versions, it seems to get very good reviews and comments,
wide blade is good for etching and engraving too, like Moras and Opinels, and it weighs under 100g!! :eek:

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^Beautiful engraving Peacent.

Well, I just ordered one this morning. Can't wait to get it in hand and use it!
- Connor

SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you Peacent, those are great pictures and the artistry on that Finn Wolf is very well-done.

Meat man, I am eager to learn your experiences with it as a folder and see your review on here. Thank you friend!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I will be sure to do that. :)

By the way, regarding the Finn Wolf or any other Scandinavian grind knife - how well does the grind perform for EDC? I know that the Sandi grind is popular for "Bushcraft" and woodworking knives. I'm curious how it will perform on stuff like cardboard, plastic, and other miscellaneous materials besides wood.
- Connor

awa54

Post by awa54 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:02 pm
I will be sure to do that. :)

By the way, regarding the Finn Wolf or any other Scandinavian grind knife - how well does the grind perform for EDC? I know that the Sandi grind is popular for "Bushcraft" and woodworking knives. I'm curious how it will perform on stuff like cardboard, plastic, and other miscellaneous materials besides wood.
Scandi grind can range from durable, but not terribly slicey, to moderately slicey, but a bit delicate... Different makers and designs perform quite differently.

If you favor FFG or high hollow grinds, you may be disappointed by that blade. If you want a taste of true Scandi grind performance, try a Helle fixed blade or a high carbon steel artisan made Finnish knife.
The Mora range is great for the dollar as well, just not as nice as others with real wood handles and leather sheathes.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

What I want to see are more videos of people using the Cold Steel Finn Wolf to cut up foods such as chicken and beef and vegetables and also be used for everyday use and cutting. Survival and bushcraft are good, too.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:48 am
What I want to see are more videos of people using the Cold Steel Finn Wolf to cut up foods such as chicken and beef and vegetables and also be used for everyday use and cutting. Survival and bushcraft are good, too.
Scandi grind is a poor performer for kitchen prep! Probably fine for "processing" game (cutting joints, parting out major muscle groups) but thinner, less abrupt primary grinds are best for average kitchen chores.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

If you like the blade shape and it doesn't need to be slicey, it looks be a good purchase. They're solidly made.

Every now and then, The Good Sir Lynn comes up with a design that is every day practical.

Finn Wolf and Tuff Lite are two such designs. Then, it's back to the usual mall ninja stuff.

😉
Last edited by Smaug on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeremy
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I like the overall style but I just find the whole "Finn Wolf" written across the blade to be a little cheesy, but that's just my own preference. I find the blade to be very Morakniv which I guess is what they were gunning for. Combined with Aus 8 you have something that's on the same level as CRKT IMHO.

I haven't been able to decide who copied who. CRKT with the Pillar, or Cold Steel with the Tuff Lite?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The much anticipated Finn Wolf arrived today! So here are my first thoughts and impressions:

After getting it out of the package, I was very favorably impressed with the overall design and construction. It seemed more solidly built than many of my Spyderco knives, yet was still very lightweight for its size. It felt very comfortable and secure in the hand without being too constrictive. I like the feel and texture of the Griv-Ex handle better, I think, than Spyderco's FRN; however, time and use will tell if that opinion will ultimately stand.

The lockup was nice and solid. Unlocking was a bit gritty and stiff. Hopefully, it will break in with use. There was no blade play in any direction whatsoever. I'm eager to see how this Triad lock holds up during extended hard use.

The blade. Here, I was pretty disappointed. It was by far the dullest factory edge on any knife I've ever bought. It could barely slice copier paper. And to make things worse, the Sandi grind steepened dramatically toward the tip, which means that before I can even begin using this knife I have to go through a tremendous blade re-grind job. I've got it on the Hapstone right now working on it with the 100 grit diamond stone.

Oh, and of course before I could begin sharpening I had to remove the thumbstuds. Not at all difficult but still it seems a bit poorly thought out. I will probably end up doing a Spyder hole mod to it.

Overall fit and finish are very good, no complaints there.

In summary I'm pleased with this knife and can't wait to give it some hard use. I like the overall design and it seems to fit my hand well. I'm disappointed that the blade grind is so uneven and dull, which IMO is inexcusable even at the $30+ price point. However it will just mean more sharpening practice for me I guess. :rolleyes:
- Connor

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Way to go Connor. :)

I’ve never sharpened a Scandi on a guided system.

Any chance you could post some pics when you’re done?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Absolutely. Here are some now:

20181128_203928-2448x1836.jpg
The setup
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Close up of the edge I'm working on. Still have a ways to go on that tip.

20181128_204441-2448x1836.jpg
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

In the hand. You can see how the angle changes toward the tip.

20181128_204301-2448x1836.jpg
- Connor