NFL Season Again

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: NFL Season Again

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:00 pm
What's scary right now are the Saints. They are just steamrolling everyone.
Barring injury or something bad happening in the locker room which happened to Dallas back in 07 New Orleans may be unstoppable. However that doesn't totally guarantee anything in concrete for the big game>> because look how arrogant and haughty New England got before both the Superbowls they played the New York Giants and both times the Giants gave them a bitter lesson in reality.

Last year I wouldn't have bet a dime that Philadelphia would have beat Lord Brady & Co. but they did and they did so decisively. We still got 6 weeks to go in the season and it wouldn't be the first time a team collapsed. If Patrick Mahomes got hurt that could change the picture all together. But you're bet on New Orleans winning the big game is probably a safe one in spite of what I just said :o

What's weird about the Saints rising the way they are I don't think I remember hearing any of the talking heads on the sports networks predicting this at all :confused:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yup. There's still quite a few games left.
16 football games is A LOT. That's a lot of time for injuries imo.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm
Yup. There's still quite a few games left.
16 football games is A LOT. That's a lot of time for injuries imo.
Well our bye week this next weekend couldn't come at a better time. Because I believe that will give Sammy Watkins and Eric Berry both the time they need to heal up properly. And hopefully it will help Justin Houston get back to 100% again. Because when he's right he instills fear into QBs. Dee Ford if he continues could be the next Derrick Thomas with the intensity he's been playing with.

This will also give young Mahomes the time he needs to correct his mistakes he made last night and for him to have a physical break that he really needs as well. We have 3 games here at ARROWHEAD out of our last 5 games. The only 2 out of town games we have are Oakland and Seattle and I'm just not too worried about either one of them. I do think we should be 13-3 at the worst>> but I do think it's possible to go 14-2.

Our backup QB Chad Henne is not a bad back up at all. He's done a lot for a veteran player to help young Patrick Mahomes. On the NFC side I'm also seeing Dallas get their head out of their rear end in the past two games >> they are a sleeper that is starting to wake up IMO. I think they will win their division now that WASH QB Alex Smith is out for the year>> and now that Phillie is laying an egg :rolleyes:

But New Orleans is truly in the driver's seat. IF they can avoid injuries they might go without another defeat.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Oh man, this is a great time for a bye week imo. Not only have they played 10 weeks in a row, but everyone can go home for Thanksgiving and really rest up. Excellent bye week!
The Chiefs may very well win it all.....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:00 pm
Oh man, this is a great time for a bye week imo. Not only have they played 10 weeks in a row, but everyone can go home for Thanksgiving and really rest up. Excellent bye week!
The Chiefs may very well win it all.....
Oh yeah the timing of the Chief's bye week is about as good as you can get. I never understood many teams getting their first Bye week after about the 4th or 5th week of action :confused: Personally I think it ought to go one of the two ways>> I think they should either eliminate Bye weeks all together or that everyone should have a Bye week at the exact half way mark of the season. Because to me it gives many teams an unfair advantage IMO.

The one 800 lb Gorilla in the living room that I'm afraid of is young Patrick Mahomes inexperience in the playoffs. Because the playoffs are a completely different animal all together. The pressure is exponential and one loss you go home. I remember the Minnesota Vikings of the late 90s when Randy Moss first entered the league. The Vikings were running up points like a literal pin ball machine in the regular season. But when they made the playoffs they faced the New York Giants and I believe they lost to the Giants something like 41-0. The younger talent on that team I believe didn't know how to take the pressure of the playoffs. Because during the regular season the Vikings back then were setting all kinds of records but couldn't do crap in the post season.

And that worries me about young Patrick Mahomes. One bright spot is we have a veteran back up QB in Chad Henne and he does have experience and that might be our saving grace. But the post season is a completely different game all together. I wouldn't be the first time a team with a powerhouse record laid an egg in the playoffs. There are dozens of examples of that unfortunately. Also our coaching staff has a lot of playoff experience and that could be a big help. Oh they are going to make the playoffs I have no doubt but what they do with it remains to be seen. Last night proved they can be beaten under the right circumstances.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well the Dallas Cowboys just beat the WASH Redskins here on Turkey Day>> it was like I said last week since Alex Smith is now out for the rest of the year the Cowboys are now poised to win their division easily. Phillie has all but laid an egg and the Cowboys are starting to hit on at least 7 of 8 cylinders. So that division of the NFC is looking predictable.

It's sad but a lot of these Thanksgiving Day games just don't have the electricity that they used to :( Well the Cowboys have New Orleans next game and that will tell a lot about what they are really made of and whether they have any post season potential or not.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Let's see if the Saints keep marchin on. Or have the dirty birds shown up?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well this has been a quite interesting week in the NFL. It seems as though DALLAS has been raised from the dead. In a way I hate to see anyone prosper from someone getting a season ending injury but that does seem to be what is now paving the way for Dallas since Alex Smith got his leg broke.

If Dallas can pull out a miracle this Thursday and beat New Orleans I do believe that they will take their division. With Amari Cooper turning out to be a super receiver and Dak Presscott getting his act together along with Ezekiel Elliot turning it up to high gear in his running game they might now be the team to beat in the NFC. But the Battle Of New Orleans this Thursday night will more than likely the set the course for whichever of the two teams that win that game>> that could be the game of the season so far.

Also I heard through our local media here in Kansas City that almost all of the injured Chiefs including Eric Berry should be ready to go next week against Oakland. If the Chiefs can run the table or at least get through the season with no more than one more loss we should have home field throughout the playoffs. It is developing to be a most interesting year for the NFL. Oh did I mention that I would like to see Lord Brady get beat at least 3 more times before season's end :rolleyes:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, Pittsburgh always has a tough time winning at Mile High, and tonight was no different.
Though glad to see that the Browns won today!
Baker Mayfield lit up the Bengals!
......now back to the Packers and Vikings. :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 pm
Well, Pittsburgh always has a tough time winning at Mile High, and tonight was no different.
Though glad to see that the Browns won today!
Baker Mayfield lit up the Bengals!
......now back to the Packers and Vikings. :D
Yeah the Chiefs really had a harder time with Mayfield than most people realize. The Browns were hardly a pushover like a lot of people on the sports stations made that game out to be.

I was actually surprised that Pittsburgh lost to Denver. But I am going to be watching this upcoming Thursday night game. I'm sure New Orleans is picked to win but for some reason I got a feeling that Dallas is that sleeper that I made reference to. Dallas is starting to put it all together. And being they are playing this upcoming Thursday Night game in Dallas is going to be quite interesting.

IF the KC Chiefs can beat Oakland this upcoming Sunday and then beat BALTIMORE at ARROWHEAD in two weeks from now I do believe we could end up running the table. It's these two next games I'm most worried about. But I am truly serious about DALLAS rising from the ashes>> they are putting it all together at a very critical time of the season.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Even if Dallas is back, I think they are outclassed both talent wise and in coaching going against the Saints. Alvin Kamara, Mark Ingram, and Drew Brees trumps anything Dallas has imo. And Shawn Peyton is light years ahead of Garrett. Just my opinion.
Jerry Jones is what's holding the Cowboys back.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The way things look now. I would say the Super Bowl would be between the Saints & Chiefs.
And, it would be a Jim dandy.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:02 am
Even if Dallas is back, I think they are outclassed both talent wise and in coaching going against the Saints. Alvin Kamara, Mark Ingram, and Drew Brees trumps anything Dallas has imo. And Shawn Peyton is light years ahead of Garrett. Just my opinion.
Jerry Jones is what's holding the Cowboys back.
Oh Don't get me wrong I'm not about to say that DALLAS is a Superbowl favorite by any means. They are simply my NFC long shot at this point. And if they do beat New Orleans this Thursday night I do indeed believe it will pave the way for them to win their division. With Alex Smith being down for the remainder of the season I think it's a safe bet for them to win their division. And you've got to admit that they have improved greatly in the past 3 games.

No New Orleans and L.A. are the betting favorites in the NFC for sure. But if I was a big time gambler I would at this time be taking some long shot bets on Dallas at this point because they do seem to be rising from the ashes so to speak. That's kind of where I'm coming from on that note.

I heard this morning that The Chiefs defense jewel Eric Berry is probably going to see limited action in this upcoming OaKland game>> I heard also that Sammy Watkins is improving rapidly too. The BYE week couldn't have come at a better time for the Chiefs IMO. I'm so disgusted at how Green Bay just disintegrated in the middle of the season>>I'm an Aaron Rodgers fan for sure>> and before that I was a Brett Favre fan. I do think that Coach McCarthy is probably on his way out unfortunately. And it might be the right thing to do.

IN the AFC I'm kind of giving Baltimore the long shot. I was impressed at what they did yesterday against OAKLAND. But not the same kind of long shot that I believe DALLAS could be. OK I might be setting myself up for another meal of CROW but time will tell :rolleyes: :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Dallas could be dangerous. No doubt about it. They are a very young team! Just think if ole Jerry got out of the way and they had a head coach like Sean Peyton or Andy Reid.
Dallas, Dallas, Dallas, ......
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:43 pm
Dallas could be dangerous. No doubt about it. They are a very young team! Just think if ole Jerry got out of the way and they had a head coach like Sean Peyton or Andy Reid.
Dallas, Dallas, Dallas, ......
I've said for the past two years that Dallas Coach Jason Garrett should have been fired at least two years ago. He's not the genius that they thought he was. He was a very good offensive coordinator but he is NOT!!! head coach material at all :mad: Just like when our KC Chiefs installed Romeo Crennel as head coach :eek: :rolleyes: he just about completely destroyed the Chief's franchise all together. The fans were livid when Crennel was coach and rightfully so. Again he was a great coordinator but he was probably the second worst head coach in KC history. He almost destroyed the franchise.

Just because some of these guys are good in one sector doesn't automatically mean they are ripe for a head coache's job. The last really good coach we had before Andy Reid was Dick Vermeil>> If Dick Vermeil would have had a good defensive coordinator we would have most certainly went to the Superbowl. But if I was Jerry Jones I would even fire Garrett even if he does make the playoffs because that team should be three times better than what they have been the past two years. If I was Jerry Jones I would pull Tony Dungy out of retirement>> either him or Bill Cowher>> and by the way Cowher got his start here in KC if you all didn't know.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A Saints/Chiefs Superbowl is what we need to see. Even though the Rams beat the Chiefs, I still think the Chiefs are a more complete team. Those turnovers by Mahomes were so uncharacteristic of him.

I think the Saints are the cream of the crop though. That team has it all, and as much as I respect Mahomes...I'll take Brees's experience come playoff time.

Has anyone noticed the Steelers remaining schedule??? They play the Chargers, Saints and Patriots in 3 of their last 4 games. If they make it through that gauntlet, they have to be strongly considered as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:27 pm
A Saints/Chiefs Superbowl is what we need to see. Even though the Rams beat the Chiefs, I still think the Chiefs are a more complete team. Those turnovers by Mahomes were so uncharacteristic of him.

I think the Saints are the cream of the crop though. That team has it all, and as much as I respect Mahomes...I'll take Brees's experience come playoff time.

Has anyone noticed the Steelers remaining schedule??? They play the Chargers, Saints and Patriots in 3 of their last 4 games. If they make it through that gauntlet, they have to be strongly considered as well.
Well I would love to see the Chiefs at the big dance. I was just a kid when our immortal QB Lenny Dawson led us to victory in the 69/70 season. And Minnesota was a huge favorite to win that one too. But we had a field goal kicker named Jan Stenerud who truly stole the show and put us over the top. And Lenny Dawson of course made his way to the NFL Hall of Fame. He just retired as a Chief's Broadcaster just last year. I guess being he's now 82 years old we shouldn't be too mad at him for wanting to take it easy :rolleyes: :D

But Lenny had been in the Chief's broadcasting booth even since he retired as a QB. In many ways he is the KC Chiefs along with our old legendary coach Hank Stram who led us to that Superbowl.

Well we've got a really big game this Thursday night with New Orleans at Dallas. If Dallas could pull this one off it would really change the landscape for the NFC race. IF Dallas wins this game I do believe they will win their division. Brees better be careful and not get hurt because he is their ultimate weapon. These last 5 weeks are truly going to be interesting.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I had a hunch that Dallas was going to beat New Orleans and they pulled it off. It was only by 3 points but it was a very important win for Dallas. I do believe now that Dallas has the momentum to take their division. This is truly an interesting development for the NFC.

It's showing me that L.A. and New Orleans are not as bulletproof as many people thought.

Now if the Chiefs can run the table in the AFC it will make for a most interesting development to say the least. The Chiefs will be coming off their bye week and will take on Oakland this Sunday. If the Chiefs run the table or just win at least 4 out of the next 5 games they will have home field throughout the playoffs.

But again Dallas has sure changed the landscape in the NFC. I also think they could run their own table.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm speechless.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:41 am
I'm speechless.
Same here. That defense was incredible last night. Hitting HARD...Had Gregory not had those stupid penalties I believe the Saints would have been shut out?? Or at least held to only 3.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick