Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sharp Guy

Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Anyone have any experience with the Ferrum Forge Gent (made by WE) that Massdrop's offering? It looks like a nice little knife for the price. Titanium framelock, S35VN, caged ball bearings, & ceramic detent ball. I figured I won't get hurt too bad for $80. So I went ahead and ordered the OD green one.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Skidoosh

Re: Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent?

Post by Skidoosh »

I've got one on the way, for the price you can't go wrong. It has very nice lines and I like the choil.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Skidoosh wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 am
I've got one on the way, for the price you can't go wrong. It has very nice lines and I like the choil.
From what I've read you can't beat it for $80. I'm anxious to receive this one and see what it's like.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm
My thoughts on this FWIW...
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mas ... t-17782153
Thanks for that! I appreciate your thoughts and comparison pic. It looks to be the size I imagined. I like your comment about it's simplicity. That's one of the reasons I'm attracted to it.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

After handling it I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. I love its thinness. However the choil is awkward for me and its tough to get it to melt into my hand. I will continue to use it and it carries great. In comparison the choil on the caly3 is much better executed.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Skidoosh wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:18 am
After handling it I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. I love its thinness. However the choil is awkward for me and its tough to get it to melt into my hand. I will continue to use it and it carries great. In comparison the choil on the caly3 is much better executed.
This is something I considered before I placed my order. Whether or not I actually use the finger choil is something I'll decide once I get the knife. From the pictures I'm pretty sure I won't use it. If it turns out to be more useable for than it appears then great.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

My main reservation was about the heat treat after the poor performance of some of the zt s35vn.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'll probably never use Mass Drop. They don't want to ship to PO Boxes.

I filtered all of their emails into my spam folder and look at maybe one a week.

I feel like they are good for ideas, but you only save $20 on most things and the Izula deal was like $25 more expensive than my normal dealer's price.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:14 pm
My main reservation was about the heat treat after the poor performance of some of the zt s35vn.
I suppose that's a possibility with any brand or steel. I'm sure some are better at ht consistency than others. Spyderco's S35VN has been excellent for me. It's one of my favorite stainless steels. I have limited experience with ZT but so far my 0450 seems ok. It hasn't seen much use at this point though. I guess I'll find out how the S35VN is on this Gent. Considering the price I'm not too worried about it.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

With the use of this knife the HT on a steel is secondary to the blade geometry. As Sharp guy says for the price this isn't something to worry about.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It's not a finger choil IMO because it's just not usable for me, and even if the choil was a bit larger I don't think the ergos would work. But as a gentleman EDC they did a great job I think.

Off topic off topic, I'd be interested to see more MD Spyderco exclusives. If they put up some polls of different models with different materials that they ran by Spyderco first to confirm possible, I'm pretty sure they'd sell a lot of knives.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

So I received a package in the mail today....

For $80 I'm absolutely blown away by this little knife! The fit and finish is great, action is slick, the lock bar is easy to access & operate, detent is strong (but not overly so), nice chamfer on the spine, the flipper tap is easy on the finger, color is nice, and on and on. I even like the tiny, descreet, deep-carry clip. Best of all...this thing flips awesome!

I was a little apprehensive about the finger choil but even that works well for me. It doesn't give up much edge length either. I may not use that feature much on this knife but it's there if I want it.

A couple shots with two of my favorite knives in this size.

If Massdrop does another run of these knives I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants a small, frame-lock flipper. It's well worth $80 and probably one of the best buys of the year for me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Massdrop's doing another run of the Gent. This time their offering rosewod or carbon fiber scales. They're $20 more but still a great value IMO.

I'm really happy with OD green Gent but I'm tempted to get the rosewood one too.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

That Rosewood is tempting (so is the CF!), but so far I never carry my Gent anyway.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 pm
That Rosewood is tempting (so is the CF!), but so far I never carry my Gent anyway.
I don't carry my Gent a lot but only because I like to carry something different everyday. I'm not usually big on Chinese made knives but I have to say that this one surprised me. It's become one of my favorite knives. I like the small size, blade shape, silky smooth action, and it flips better than any other flippers I have. Even the descreet little deep carry clip works well for me. I reprofiled mine to 15° p.s. and I certainly can't complain about how it cuts. They even seemed to do the S35VN well. Not bad for $80. That even includes a soft case that stores two knives.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting another one with rosewood handles.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have one in blue. For $80 you get S35 VN and a Titanium frame. Good flipping action. Blade centering is perfect. Very impressive. It should be easy to make custom scales for. I like mine very much.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just noticed that Massdrop has another drop active for the Gent. Looks like they're shipping these immediately too. I realize this little knife may not be for everyone but it's become a favorite of mine. Definitely a great value.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

They've got active drops for Gent, crux, buc and probably more,, when the countdown stops it Just starts over again.. So They are pretty much avaliable all the time :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 am
They've got active drops for Gent, crux, buc and probably more,, when the countdown stops it Just starts over again.. So They are pretty much avaliable all the time :)
Ahh..I didn't realize that. Thanks for that info. I've contemplating getting a Crux but decided to hold off since I have a Gent Select that should be shipping in a week or so.