Darrin Sanders Jim Ankerson Collaberation - Camp Knife / Fighter - CPM 10V - Part 1

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Darrin Sanders Jim Ankerson Collaberation - Camp Knife / Fighter - CPM 10V - Part 1

Post by Ankerson »

Here is the results of an experiment that Darrin Sanders and I have been working on for over a year now. :)

We wanted to show how well CPM 10V would handle outdoor use and use it in a Camp Knife/ fighter design and with reasonable geometry and thickness. :cool:

This is Part 1 of my review, the wood/field type work that the knife would most likely see.

Specs:

Steel - CPM 10V @ 62-63 HRC
Spine thickness .153"
Blade - 6 7/8"
12 1/4" OAL
Weight - 13.1 ounces
1 3/4" blade height
.025" behind the edge
20 degrees per side edge geometry
Handle material - Black canvas micarta

Photo Thread here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... fe-Fighter

I started off with some chopping, cut some saplings down and smaller trees like this one here.

Then did some whittling.

Followed up with more chopping and splitting.

Some carving here.

Followed by splitting seasoned hardwood full of knots.

Little bite of hardwood carving.

Some drilling through the hardwood.

And cutting through power cord..

Performace was excellent, zero edge issues, no chipping or rolling, edge retention is good as the knife will still slice phone book paper at this stage. Balance is good for lighter chopping as it's a 7" blade and pretty thin spine thickness and 13.1 ounces.

Feels great in hand, didn't wear gloves at all in testing.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Darrin Sanders Jim Ankerson Collaberation - Camp Knife / Fighter - CPM 10V - Part 1

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love to try out some 10V. Thanks for sharing.

The knife looks great. I prefer drop points to clip points but it is a nice looking Bowie style blade and if you wanted a camp/fighting knife it looks like it would work great. It wouldn't be a bad knife to be lost in the woods with, that is for sure.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Blerv

Re: Darrin Sanders Jim Ankerson Collaberation - Camp Knife / Fighter - CPM 10V - Part 1

Post by Blerv »

Very cool Jim :D!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Thanks guys. :)

No, it's real.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! Ankerson that knife is EXTREMELY COOL and simple and perfectly built!
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I have long felt that CPM 10V would be a great steel for a working knife.
Based upon the excellent performance of my MT21, I would very much like to see a Mule Team release in CPM 10V.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thanks for sharing Jim and nice to have you around :). Cool knife also, maybe you should send it to Spyderco so Sal can get a closer look ;) :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Thanks for sharing Jim and nice to have you around :). Cool knife also, maybe you should send it to Spyderco so Sal can get a closer look ;) :)

Thanks Johnnie. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Congrats. The angles look good.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Fantastic! I only own one custom knife, and it is a extremely handsome boning knife done just the way I wanted by Darrin Sanders. Heck of a guy, and heck of a talent!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

PayneTrain wrote:Fantastic! I only own one custom knife, and it is a extremely handsome boning knife done just the way I wanted by Darrin Sanders. Heck of a guy, and heck of a talent!

Darrin makes an excellent knife. :)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Great to see this at the Blade HQ at Shot video, love this 'kitchen knife' blade style and very cool to finally be able to try 4V and also at a thickness where a very tough steel actually has a real advantage.
Looking forward to this!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Joris Mo wrote:Great to see this at the Blade HQ at Shot video, love this 'kitchen knife' blade style and very cool to finally be able to try 4V and also at a thickness where a very tough steel actually has a real advantage.
Looking forward to this!

Thanks. :spyder:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Ankerson wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Great to see this at the Blade HQ at Shot video, love this 'kitchen knife' blade style and very cool to finally be able to try 4V and also at a thickness where a very tough steel actually has a real advantage.
Looking forward to this!

Thanks. :spyder:
Thank you Sir! :D
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

This and Sals Bowie both got my attention on the BHQ video. Looks great.
Last edited by OldHoosier62 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This knife reminds me of a Hudson Bay pattern (the original large camp knife) blended with a fighter.

A Hudson Bay Bowie.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

WOW! That is one beefy durable knife!