What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MichaelScott

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by MichaelScott »

Check Knife Connection. They have the American Jack. I did see a Wallstreet available but not at the bigger retailers. Google Great Eastern Cutlery retailers and check the obscure ones.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The knife connection has American Jacks in Cocobolo.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

One of my favorite sweatpants knives
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Microtech?

Something I've been curious about for awhile - how much up/down or side to side blade play is there on OTF autos? I have heard that they can be bad for that. Never owned one myself though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:02 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:

Microtech?

Something I've been curious about for awhile - how much up/down or side to side blade play is there on OTF autos? I have heard that they can be bad for that. Never owned one myself though.
Eh not too bad. There is going to be some in every otf besides that Hawke one. Not bad enough that it rattles anf you can't feel it while cutting. Microtechs are very nicely made. The ine in the picture was a limited edition one with contoured g10 handle and m390.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:13 pm
The Meat man wrote:
knivesandbooks wrote:

Microtech?

Eh not too bad. There is going to be some in every otf besides that Hawke one. Not bad enough that it rattles anf you can't feel it while cutting. Microtechs are very nicely made. The ine in the picture was a limited edition one with contoured g10 handle and m390.

Yeah, I can imagine it would be hard to design/produce an OTF without any blade play.

Interestingly I got to handle an OTF for the first time quite recently. I found one while helping to gut a flooded house in North Carolina. It was unmarked, though, and the action was a little stiff. Probably needed a good cleaning out.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:19 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:13 pm
The Meat man wrote:
knivesandbooks wrote:

Microtech?

Yeah, I can imagine it would be hard to design/produce an OTF without any blade play.

Interestingly I got to handle an OTF for the first time quite recently. I found one while helping to gut a flooded house in North Carolina. It was unmarked, though, and the action was a little stiff. Probably needed a good cleaning out.
I'd like one more. They're surprisingly good knives. Certainly not the best at everything but they cut well and take up very little pocket space. They're quite satisfying to play with too. Really want a carbon fiber ultratech or that D Rocket Design Zulu.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Utility knife, and Utilitac

knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Victorinox Electrician and Opinel No. 8 Carbone.
Never been a big fan of how Opinels are constructed but I am a big fan of how they cut. That is a less than 15 bevel btw.

Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:58 am

Kershaw Natrix Cu. So far so good. I think it's a nice little knife considering the price. Looking forward to seeing how the copper patinas over time.
I got This in the mail today,, i really didnt think it would be This small,, kind of disapointed, but i could have read the specs, Good f&f, Great action. The copper smells like fish after half a day in the pocket. This is My First kershaw and i was under the impression that kershaws are not as Great as They used to be,, if thats the case They must have been pretty amazing because This knife seems rock solid. :)
1543362129090306.jpg
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:41 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:58 am

Kershaw Natrix Cu. So far so good. I think it's a nice little knife considering the price. Looking forward to seeing how the copper patinas over time.
I got This in the mail today,, i really didnt think it would be This small,, kind of disapointed, but i could have read the specs, Good f&f, Great action. The copper smells like fish after half a day in the pocket. This is My First kershaw and i was under the impression that kershaws are not as Great as They used to be,, if thats the case They must have been pretty amazing because This knife seems rock solid. :)
1543362129090306.jpg
I'm very happy with mine considering the price. Although...I've already kind of screwed mine up reprofiling it. I've done angled plunge grinds before but not one that was angled and radiused. I wasn't paying attention and my edge started climbing up the radius a bit. Not sure but I might've prevented it had I kept the edge bevel a little more obtuse. Maybe 17.5° per side instead of 15°? It looks a bit wonky but no sense getting upset over it. It cuts better now and the knowledge I gained might come in handy when I finally get around to reprofiling my Southard.

By the way I got a kick out of your comment that yours smell like fish. Mine still smells like a jar full of pennies. Maybe you should check to see what's inside your pocket. :p
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Oops wrong thread :o
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

We dont have pennies here in Norway, but we do have. Lot of fish..
I bet your stinking pennies smells like fish too.
😂
James Dean
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was going through some storage boxes last night, trying to rearrange things and make some space. I came across a box from my childhood/teenage years (I'm 35 now) It was quite nostalgic! Then I came across this, and couldn't believe I still had it! This is the very first pocket knife ever given to me by my grandfather when I was 8 years old. I'll never forget the moment of going through his side table stand as he was smoking a cigar watching an old western film. I saw it and asked him if I could see it...obviously meaning play with it and try to cut something haha. He said sure and showed me how to safely open and close it. He told me I could have it as long as my parents said it was ok, which they did once they saw me using it safely.

He ended up passing away from liver cancer around a year later and I held on to it, but never really used it. So coming across this knife last night gave me a great feeling of finding it again and thinking about my grandfather. I'm going to clean it up a bit with some Flitz and get that edge back to razor sharp.

Would anybody have any idea how old this knife is? I can't find anything on it besides that "xx" on the blade. It's only a 2 blade knife, the one showing being the longer of the two.
Resized_20181127_230945.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

I always carry 2 SAKs: a Victorinox Executive I've carried and used for about 20 years so far, and either a Spartan or a Pioneer in another pocket. Also, for my clip knife, I sometimes opt to carry either my CRK large Insingo or small Inkosi.

Jim
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Custom Mike Read PITS MK4

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

^ Nice pic!! Looks very cozy.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Spanish wine and Italian knife, life is Good :)
1544120353448141.jpg
James Dean
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

CRKT Journeyer. (Liong Mag design)

I really like this little guy. Fills the hand, not too light, nice blade shape, nice clicky detents. Shape is great; not as boxy as it looks. Only problem is the screw under the clip: it catches.
-Jeremy
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:03 am
I was going through some storage boxes last night, trying to rearrange things and make some space. I came across a box from my childhood/teenage years (I'm 35 now) It was quite nostalgic! Then I came across this, and couldn't believe I still had it! This is the very first pocket knife ever given to me by my grandfather when I was 8 years old. I'll never forget the moment of going through his side table stand as he was smoking a cigar watching an old western film. I saw it and asked him if I could see it...obviously meaning play with it and try to cut something haha. He said sure and showed me how to safely open and close it. He told me I could have it as long as my parents said it was ok, which they did once they saw me using it safely.

He ended up passing away from liver cancer around a year later and I held on to it, but never really used it. So coming across this knife last night gave me a great feeling of finding it again and thinking about my grandfather. I'm going to clean it up a bit with some Flitz and get that edge back to razor sharp.

Would anybody have any idea how old this knife is? I can't find anything on it besides that "xx" on the blade. It's only a 2 blade knife, the one showing being the longer of the two.

Resized_20181127_230945.jpeg
Nice find! Check this : http://www.casexx.com/Pattern/
Chris :spyder: