Magazines, Periodicals, trade journals?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Magazines, Periodicals, trade journals?

Post by JD Spydo »

The one Brother that just put up a thread on "books" got me to thinking. Other than the King James Bible I haven't really read a lot of books lately. But I do read a lot of magazines and periodicals. One new magazine I'm really hooked on is called "OFF GRID" and it is published by the same people who publish "Recoil" and "Shotgun News">> all three of them I like but I do like OFF GRID the best of them all. Because in the past 6 to 8 years or so I've gotten very interested in the subjects of "survival', "preparedness", OFF GRID Living along with of course my very entertaining knife magazines.

Needless to say I was devastated when I learned that "Tactical Knives" was no longer in business. Because it was truly my favorite of all the main line knife magazines. But here lately I've been reading stuff more geared to primitive living, survival and here also have been reading a couple of the Rock, Mineral & Gem magazines I got from my local B&N store.

I'm wondering what magazines you all have been reading? One magazine I've been reading for at least 17 years now has been the "BackWoodsMan" magazine. I look so forward to every issue of that. It's got a lot of stuff on old knives from years gone by and recently in the past 3 years or so they have been doing some articles on newer, more modern cutlery, axes and machetes. The BackWoodsMan is a magazine anyone could profit from reading. So what magazines and periodicals and even trade journals do you all read?
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Magazines, Periodicals, trade journals?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have read assorted knife magazines over the years, and ofcourse my King James Bible. I read knife books but that is a different category. I recently discovered BackwoodsMan magazine and it is very good to read and learn from. Knife World is in my opinion the best knife magazine out there.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I have read assorted knife magazines over the years, and ofcourse my King James Bible. I read knife books but that is a different category. I recently discovered BackwoodsMan magazine and it is very good to read and learn from. Knife World is in my opinion the best knife magazine out there.
I used to have a subscription to KNIFE WORLD>> I think they are in a newspaper/tabloid format and If I remember correctly they are out of Tennessee. When I moved here to KC I let my subscription run out and now that you've mentioned it to me I really need to get my subscription renewed again. You are right that is a good magazine for collectors of rare knives especially. it has some really interesting articles on sharpening and maintenance. Every time I chatted with them on the phone they were very friendly and would take time to answer your questions or contact you later via e-mail.

I still am grieving over the loss of Tactical Knives magazine. I loved all their special articles like the Steel Bin and their once a month reviews on sharpening equipment>> also make mine automatic was always a good article to read. and they never did any junk knives.. All the ones they put in the magazine were either very good to at least above average. Toward the end they did some great articles on many of Spyderco's great products. I miss them dearly.

Another magazine that is sort of like BackWoodsMan is one called "Back Woods Home">> the guy that does that one is Dave Duffy who is an avid Pro-Gun and Pro-Knife person and many of his commentaries were great.

Another mag that I miss more than just about any of them that went out of business about 3 years ago was Wilderness Way. It was about Primitive living and had all sorts of very interesting "back to earth" type stuff in it. A bad economy will cull the herd during times like these unfortunately :( I kind of wish that Spyderco would start their own magazine>> that would just be cool if they would :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I have read assorted knife magazines over the years, and ofcourse my King James Bible. I read knife books but that is a different category. I recently discovered BackwoodsMan magazine and it is very good to read and learn from. Knife World is in my opinion the best knife magazine out there.
I used to have a subscription to KNIFE WORLD>> I think they are in a newspaper/tabloid format and If I remember correctly they are out of Tennessee. When I moved here to KC I let my subscription run out and now that you've mentioned it to me I really need to get my subscription renewed again. You are right that is a good magazine for collectors of rare knives especially. it has some really interesting articles on sharpening and maintenance. Every time I chatted with them on the phone they were very friendly and would take time to answer your questions or contact you later via e-mail.

I still am grieving over the loss of Tactical Knives magazine. I loved all their special articles like the Steel Bin and their once a month reviews on sharpening equipment>> also make mine automatic was always a good article to read. and they never did any junk knives.. All the ones they put in the magazine were either very good to at least above average. Toward the end they did some great articles on many of Spyderco's great products. I miss them dearly.

Another magazine that is sort of like BackWoodsMan is one called "Back Woods Home">> the guy that does that one is Dave Duffy who is an avid Pro-Gun and Pro-Knife person and many of his commentaries were great.

Another mag that I miss more than just about any of them that went out of business about 3 years ago was Wilderness Way. It was about Primitive living and had all sorts of very interesting "back to earth" type stuff in it. A bad economy will cull the herd during times like these unfortunately :( I kind of wish that Spyderco would start their own magazine>> that would just be cool if they would :cool:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Knife World, Field and Stream, Old Cars Weekly, Backwoodsman.. At one point I probably was up to 12 or so.. Cut back when money got tight.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My other hobby is cars, I have an '85 Mustang. J used to collect a couple Mustang magazines and I have over 300 in my garage.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:My other hobby is cars, I have an '85 Mustang. J used to collect a couple Mustang magazines and I have over 300 in my garage.
Hey EVIL you may be the one to answer a question for me>> If you're a car enthusiast then I'm sure you're aware of the "Barrett Jackson" auto auctions? I've heard that there is a magazine that follows those auctions and particularly the ones that Barrett Jackson does.

I'm not much of a car enthusiast myself but I do get together with a couple of old high school friends when those Barrett Jackson auctions come on TV.. They used to be on the SPEED Channel and I forget where they are now on cable or sattelite.

As I said I'm not much of car nut but there is something about those Barrett Jackson auctions that really intrigue me. I guess because a lot the cars that they auction off are from my school days back in the 60s & 70s. Because a lot of those units that they auction are ones I used to ride in and I knew people that owned a lot of them back in the late 60s in particular.

If you know the name of that publication that shows the results of those prestigious auto auctions please tell us what it is.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No idea JD....while I do love seeing the cars they sell, I absolutely can't stand the prices they fetch these days. It has gotten to the point where an average guy can't build a muscle car anymore because they all cost at or above the price of a house. Granted, the ones that sell for that much are typically the best of the best, low miles, absolutely perfect restoration, etc....but what you end up with is all the guys who have the average cars think they're worth as much as the BJ cars, along with all the parts to restore and build them. It's just like Harleys....they've become a status symbol for the rich.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Mad Magazine, The Funny Times, The Journal of Accountancy and The Peninsula Daily News are the four magazines / newspapers for which I have subscriptions. I actually just pitch The Journal of Accountancy when it comes in as it automatically comes with my membership to the AICPA.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:No idea JD... It's just like Harleys....they've become a status symbol for the rich.
You're hitting me in a sore spot EVIL :D I distinctly remember back in 1984 or thereabout but I am pretty sure that it was in 84 when one of my uncles tried to get me to put a $5000, CD I had with a local S & L at the time into a really beat down stock on the American Stock Exchange ( That exchange doesn't exist anymore, it's now part of the NASDAQ) The name of the stock? You guessed it "Harley Davidson" and I believe it was trading at under $1 per share :eek:

The company was in serious financial condition at that time and hardly no one except my uncle and one good friend of mine who was and still is an avid biker had any faith at all that they would survive. I was too scared to touch what I thought to be an extremely risky stock :rolleyes:

Needless to say just like Chrysler had done earlier, Harley Davidson company did indeed rise from the ashes and took off like one of the Space Shuttles :o At that time I thought the Japanese motorcycle companies were going to take over the entire market and they did get a huge chunk of the market share. My uncle needless to say made a nice chunk of change but I was too big of a chicken at the time :o But I'm glad that Harley and Chrysler redeemed themselves.

But the newspaper, periodical I started reading shortly after that was>> "Investor's Business Daily">> Had I kept up with the business trends things would sure be different :o Yeah it still hurts EVIL :D

Post by 1623 »

Only two subs these days...

Modern Drummer, of which I have every issue and supplemental since 1986 and Aviation History, which is a fantastic publication.

Rifleman shows up in my mailbox every month as part of my NRA life membership and once in a while I'll pick up a few RC mags, mainly RC Car Action, RC Driver and Electric Flight.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I used to subscribe to quite a few magazines, but now I only get two: Wired and American Cinematographer. Okay, technically I also receive a third subscription, Good Housekeeping :o, but I never signed up for it and am not sure how to get them to stop sending it to me!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

[quote="JD Spydo"]The one Brother that just put up a thread on "books" got me to thinking. Other than the King James Bible I haven't really read a lot of books lately.

Do you know who wrote the "King James Bible" ?
None other than Shakespeare himself.
Strange but true..
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I have as Christmas Present from the inlaws, a subscription to Viz magazine- which, in their own words "Britains' 3rd or 4th funniest mag. Maybe the 5th"
:D

Puerile, rude but proper belly-laugh funny.

(I, for my colonial cousins, would reccomend acquiring a copy of Viz's Rogers Profanisaurus- a dictionary of swearing, euphemisms and hilarity which will keep you entertained for hours)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kiwisailor wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:The one Brother that just put up a thread on "books" got me to thinking. Other than the King James Bible I haven't really read a lot of books lately.

Strange but true..
Really!! Where can I find documentation on that?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JD Spydo wrote:
kiwisailor wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:The one Brother that just put up a thread on "books" got me to thinking. Other than the King James Bible I haven't really read a lot of books lately.

Strange but true..
Really!! Where can I find documentation on that?
+1!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

kiwisailor wrote:Do you know who wrote the "King James Bible" ?
Strange but true..
Speaking of reading, it seems you've read one too many Dan Brownesque novels... :rolleyes:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jabba359 wrote:I used to subscribe to quite a few magazines, but now I only get two: Wired and American Cinematographer. Okay, technically I also receive a third subscription, Good Housekeeping :o, but I never signed up for it and am not sure how to get them to stop sending it to me!
That's an interesting set of magazines you put up there Jabba >> A good lady friend of mine recently gave me 2 magazines that I had never read before but I thought both were very interesting reads>> one was "Mental Floss" and the other was ?? you guessed it "WIRED". Now keep in mind I'm not huge follower of pop culture or philosophical/trendy type stuff but I can sure appreciate how professional and well documented both of them seemed to be. I'm basing that on one of each so I can't really make a blanket judgement as of yet>> but so far I can appreciate them.

There was at one time a science theory magazine and I don't believe it's with us anymore called OMNI. It was truly good in it's genre. WIRED reminded me of an old pop culture magazine I used to subscribe to years ago called FUSION.. It's long gone but I hear some of the past issues have sold good on Ebay.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

OK. I've got BOTH hands up here guys.

After doing my Due Diligence which I should have before posting, it seems that William Shakespeare appears
to have worked on the authorised version of the King James Bible.
Even that is not set in stone as there are lots of arguments as the whether it is correct.
It seems that Willi had a habit of Plagiarism.

My unqualified statement has caused me to trawl through endless (literally) realms of theoretical arguments (some rather heated)

Maybe? He wrote Psalm 46

A more humble person prostrates himself before all present. :o
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

As far as the KJB, it is largely based on Wycliffe's English translation. Translating the Bible into English was deemed heretical and two monarch's before James, Mary had them dig up Wycliffe's bones and burn them for his transgression. With the ascension of Elizabeth, the Church of England was back to stay.