SOG Tomcat

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MarcusH

SOG Tomcat

Post by MarcusH »

A classic piece from the history of cutlery, one of my favorite non-Spydercos with a certain sentimental value for me.
The Tomcat was my first real expensive knife, bought way back then in the late 80s.
I had the variant with the "EDM. WA." engraving and carried it almost exclusive for a few years until some piece of s***t stole it together with my backback in 1995 in Paris.

I always wanted to have a Tomcat again, last week it arrived. I was pretty lucky to score one in almost mint condition, it's the mid-90s edition with 440C.
Yes, they already knew how to built knives in Seki-City more than twenty years ago... :D

SpyderNut

Re: SOG Tomcat

Post by SpyderNut »

I've always admired this knife. Thank you for the excellent photos.
Long before I was acquainted with Spyderco, I had planned on buying a Tomcat. Beautiful lines, IMHO. I think the only reason I didn't buy one was due to lack of funds. :o Enjoy your new knife! It's a beauty for sure.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That's really sweet
I have an SOG Trident. Not near that nice though.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Haven't seen one of those years. Very nice.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

That's a kool knife.. Like to handle/bolsters!! That blade shape has got some serious sweet curves!!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

The only thing with those sweet curves is that if you're in a hurry, your fingertips will slip off those curves while trying to open the knife.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Oh, wow, Marcus... That brings back memories for me too. I had one of the first generation Tomcats as well. Absolutely gorgeous knives - even though they were also bulky and extremely heavy. But the quarter-inch thick blade was really a selling point as a hard-use folder at the time.

SOG never released another version of the Tomcat as good as that first one. Subsequent versions were of questionable quality with some well-publicized QC problems. That's what happens when a manufacturer gets sold to an anonymous Firm who's not invested in the products themselves...

TedP
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

Many years ago, I screwed up and sold my Al Mar SERE (folder) but got to missing that "niche" (large, overbuilt folder for ultra hard use) so I was eyeing these. A few weeks later my mom told me to pick one up and she'd pay for it as a birthday present. :D

I carried it in it's nylon pouch on my belt but tried to carry it in my pocket a few times...uhyeahNOOOOO...! :D

My mom died a while back but I can never bring myself to sell it or give it away (like I do a lot of mine). It's old and dirty looking...my wife even used it for a tour as her "garden knife"...but still sturdy and usable. It is definitely one that makes the overused cliche "locks like a bank vault door" come to mind.
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)