Odd Animal Behavior: What is going on folks?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Odd Animal Behavior: What is going on folks?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Okay, let me tell you, I love animals and I believe in protecting animals from abuse and mistreatment, and I understand that there have always been incidents on and off in which wild animals have attacked people out of fear or food or other issues. But I have been reading about increasing levels of animal attacks on people and an increasing number of shark attacks. What do you all think is going on to cause this? Or, is it simply that now, like never before in our history, people have access to personal cameras and recording devices, and record things that have always happened?

example: I was reading about a guy who was fishing in his boat in the Gulf of Mexico and a great white shark came and began to circle the boat and tried to attack his motor, and even tried getting the entire motor in its mouth, before he got away.

There seems to be more and more shark attacks, too.

Could one factor be that humans are increasing in population in certain areas, like coastal beach areas, and encroaching onto food and land resources, that in the past, there were less people doing it, and so now as this increases, there will be more contact of this kind with the animals in those areas?

One shark expect said the above was a big factor: As more people take to beaches to escape hot and humid weather, and as the fish supply is dwindling, according to him, there will be more frequent shark attack encounters.

Also, regarding the motor attack, I remember some studies done in which it showed sharks are very sensitive to electromagnetic disturbances, so that could play a role, too.
noseoil

Re: Odd Animal Behavior: What is going on folks?

Post by noseoil »

In California, mountain lions are attacking humans. They passed a law stopping all hunting of lions in that state.

Human encroachment into the animal world is just a normal thing when the humans expand their range. The sea is one area where man isn't top dog.
SpyderEdgeForever

noseoil wrote:In California, mountain lions are attacking humans. They passed a law stopping all hunting of lions in that state.

Human encroachment into the animal world is just a normal thing when the humans expand their range. The sea is one area where man isn't top dog.

Interesting, thank you.

I remember some years back hunting alligators was banned in Florida, or parts of it, and their population got to the point where `gators were killing people and attacking them in their own backyards; they reintroduced hunting and it kept the population in check.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Polar bear attacks are way up due to the fact that many are starving due to the loss of ice.

I don't know about the sharks specifically, but the ocean is undergoing tremendous change due to warming temperatures and pollution that could be affecting them directly or their prey. Jelly fish populations are exploding and many species are stressed. Because the Salish Sea is mostly fjords the water is very cold and we are getting new species fleeing the warming Pacific. We hear of other species that are moving north for the same reason.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it's partly habitat encroachment, but I think the biggest part is just that news is so much more easily accessible these days, so news gets around to more people at a faster rate. This makes it seem like an increase when it isn't.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

I think you are correct Evil D.
Combination of both. It is quite common for sharks to mouth outboard motors. The galvanic action in motors attracts them. Lifting motor out of water (if possible) usually prevents/stops it.
Considering that we have seen a decline in shark numbers of 94% due to lack of food and shark finning, I for one am glad it is not more common. Now Great Whites are protected in N.Z. and Australia, it will be interesting (to Observers, not victims ! ) if attacks increase as food supplies decrease further. It is certainly common for them to follow around Humpback Whales to eat the after birth. Something to bear in mind when diving with them in Tonga. :(
For those of you unlucky not to have seen a Great White shark, they have VERY good camouflage, to the effect that even if you are looking through water at one, you probably won't recognize it as a Shark. I've seen a few at very close range i.e. poking distance, and it is always a surprise/shock, to realise how close they can get before I actually SEE it for what it is..

There have been studies recently Re. stress in Humans in Modern Era.
In the past, communication would be passed from on person to another, with news traveling slowly around, possibly taking months or even years. Not forgetting the Chinese whisper effect. ;)
Now, in our modern world, news and pictures are transported instantly, enabling someone even in Inner Mongolia, to know what happened to little Johhny in the bottom of Stewart Is.
This is reportedly creating a long term, Stress Response in us, due to constant Adrenaline stimulation.
Maybe ignorance is bliss after all.. I'm doing my best to follow this route :D
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

FYI, The great White is also protected in South Africa...
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

kiwisailor wrote:Maybe ignorance is bliss after all..:D
Don't watch the news.
Horror movie right there on my TV.
Six o'clock news.
Reason why I believe so many kids these days develop depression. The medication is the off button.
O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For the past 8 years or so and possible even a little longer than that we've had a strange anamoly here in Missouri>> and especially up in North Missouri where I used to work in that wetlands project I worked at for about 4 years. The Missouri Department of Conservation will deny it until **** get's frost warnings but I know what I've seen with my own eyes and I know what 4 very prominent farmers I got to know really well have told me along with several other people I've talked to at random.

We do indeed have a healthy population of Mountain Lions back here in Missouri again. I've seen 2 now with my own reliable eyes and I don't wear glasses even at my age not even for reading or anything. When i was working in the Wetland project I never went down there alone hardly at all but the few times I did have to work alone I was always armed heavily I might add. Because I've found some very large Mountain Lion tracks right where I was working at and even close to the hunting lodge I was staying at.

MY point is why is the Missouri Dept Of Conservation denying that there are Cougars here in Missouri :confused: ? this place I was working at was literally filthy with white tail deer and people would often find young ones dead and half eaten as well as some of the farmers were complaining about calves being attacked and eaten as well. Two farmers I've talked to were very credible in my opinion and they both warned me not to go into any timber or the wetlands or along the Grand River without being armed.

My question is this?? Why the recent incurrsion of Mountain Lions in Missouri when they have been officially hunted out in the state for decades ( so they say :rolleyes: )? But other than a healthy deer population what would drive them back here after being eradicated for so long :confused: ? and then the authorities deny it vehemently :confused: And we're not talking "Bigfoot" creatures here either>> we are talking about something very provable but yet they deny it. And deny why they are even back here again as well :confused:

We've also had sightings of Elk, Black Bear ( which are very rare here in Missouri, or used to be) wolves and many different colors of coyotes that I never seen before. The wild animal scenerio is changing here in the state of Missouri for sure and why?? I don't know
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

1. Shrinking habitat.
2. Everybody has a cell phone/camera and are not afraid to use them.
3. 24/7 cable news and local news that tease with "turn in at 6 for the lastest manufacture non-news event!".
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hey JD, yep, over last few years, cougars have been getting more common here as well.
Usually found prowling bars late at night :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kiwisailor wrote:Hey JD, yep, over last few years, cougars have been getting more common here as well.
Usually found prowling bars late at night :D
That's a different species of Cougar "KiwiSailor" :D I've been looking for one of those with an 8 digit bank account :eek: Haven't found her yet but I'll keep looking :D And that type of animal no one can tame :eek: :D Now I know why Mother Grizzly Bears and Lionesses are so feared :rolleyes:

Yeah we got a few of that species on this side of the pond too :rolleyes: :D
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

There's nothing odd about it. Its animals doing what they're supposed to do.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

We've also had sightings of Elk, Black Bear ( which are very rare here in Missouri, or used to be) wolves and many different colors of coyotes that I never seen before
We have the hybrid coyotes around here too. Bigger than regular yotes. Some have wolf blood, some are crossing with dogs. They re-introduced Red Wolfs in the state a couple decades ago but I think there are less than when they were introduced. I've never seen one. Coyotes are all over. One stopped and watched Finny for a minute or two from about 20 yards before trotting up the hill on the road away from us. Finny made a kind of "Humpf" sound that sounded sort of like a laugh when he saw the yote looking at us. It was about 0200 hrs on a quiet night. I should mention my neighborhood backs up to a state forest that is pretty good sized and is known for having a coyote population.

joe
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:FYI, The great White is also protected in South Africa...
Ohio as well. I don't think a Great White has been killed here since the state was founded...

;)

Ken
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:I think it's partly habitat encroachment, but I think the biggest part is just that news is so much more easily accessible these days, so news gets around to more people at a faster rate. This makes it seem like an increase when it isn't.
I'd agree. I also think the demand for news today encourages even mainstream media to adopt "supermarket tabloid" standards of journalism and sensationalize relatively minor incidents and totally predictable animal behavior.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Regarding the coyotes, if one lives in an area known for alot of them prowling around one's property, what are some good proven methods to keep them away?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Regarding the coyotes, if one lives in an area known for alot of them prowling around one's property, what are some good proven methods to keep them away?
Depends on where you live, but coyotes are still wild enough to avoid human contact unless starving, so the first rule is not to do things that attract them, like leaving food lying around. That's hard if you keep small animals outdoors, otherwise it's mostly a case of keeping your garbage secure. If you do keep animals, then lead poisoning may be the only option. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
We've also had sightings of Elk, Black Bear ( which are very rare here in Missouri, or used to be) wolves and many different colors of coyotes that I never seen before
We have the hybrid coyotes around here too. Bigger than regular yotes. Some have wolf blood, some are crossing with dogs. They re-introduced Red Wolfs in the state a couple decades ago but I think there are less than when they were introduced. I've never seen one. Coyotes are all over. One stopped and watched Finny for a minute or two from about 20 yards before trotting up the hill on the road away from us. Finny made a kind of "Humpf" sound that sounded sort of like a laugh when he saw the yote looking at us. It was about 0200 hrs on a quiet night. I should mention my neighborhood backs up to a state forest that is pretty good sized and is known for having a coyote population.
I"m wondering if you are talking about the same problem animal that we have here in the southern most part of Missouri? They call the "Coy-dogs" Those are supposed to be a mix of coyote and domestic dog>> we also have a big population of just wild domestic dogs that pack along the Missouri River and are spotted often by hunters, hikers and boaters. A lot of my kin folk live down in the state of Mississippi>> they also have a population of coyotes mixed with domestic dogs as well.

I'll also been told that the wild hog populations are getting much bigger in most of the southern states. There are definitely changes in animals and their behavior all around the country. I forget which exact year it was but there were definitely a rise in shark attacks in US waters during the mid 2000s but again I forget the exact year. They talked about a lot on radio shows and other media outlets. Human encroachment I'm sure is causing changes to a degreee and I'm also wondering if cell phone towers and other high tech stuff might be responsible>> Just wondering, no scientific facts to back it up but it does sure seem odd.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Quote-
I forget which exact year it was but there were definitely a rise in shark attacks in US waters during the mid 2000s but again I forget the exact year. They talked about a lot on radio shows and other media outlets. Human encroachment I'm sure is causing changes to a degree and I'm also wondering if cell phone towers and other high tech stuff might be responsible>> Just wondering, no scientific facts to back it up but it does sure seem odd.[/quote]

I don't think increase in shark attacks has anything in common with proliferation of cell phone towers. As most are on land, I doubt whether galvanic action is responsible :D

As to humans, they certainly are showing signs of odd behaviour e.g. gathering around Public libraries i.e. cluster behaviour :p and other sites, peering intently at into small objects in hand and wandering aimlessly down streets again totally focused at hands.
This causes lack of situational awareness to the point of falling into holes and walking into cars. :confused:

Maybe in a few years their eyes will lose the ability to focus past the end of noses, like Politicians who can only focus on their opinion polls :mad: