NFC Title Game

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

NFC Title Game

Post by MacLaren »

Wow! Gotta LOVE Russell Wilson.
4 pics, and comes back to win the NFC Championship. (The Packers totally blew it)
SpyderNut

Re: NFC Title Game

Post by SpyderNut »

Crazy game indeed. I only got to see the last few seconds of that game--holy stinking cow! I had a gut feeling Seattle would pull off the win. Now if the stinky Patriots win against the Colts tonight, at least Seattle will stop them from a Superbowl win. :p

Edit: Just as I wrote this, the Patriots scored another touchdown. Ugh. :(
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I had to listen to the end of it in the car, but there was no doubt how amazing of a comeback it was...especially when the guy calling it on Westwood One went nuts when they took the lead. Holy cow. Good for them though, I was rooting for them almost as much as I was rooting against the Packers who beat my best friends on the Cowboys in yet another controversial game. But I respect Seattle, they're a scrappy team and they deserved every win they got this season. Maybe even a couple more.

But now I have to be a Pats fan. Sorry Spydernut :p
remnar

Post by remnar »

I live in Washington and of course I am a Hawks fan, but I had to spend over 4 hours on the road today. I did listen to the game on the radio and I got to watch most of the first half when I stopped for lunch at Red Robin (Yum!). As I was enjoying my lunch with my family, Wilson through one of his interceptions and the waitress yelled out, "are f-ing kidding me". Yes, she said the mother of all swear words. I was laughing inside, but proceeded to embarrass her by shouting, "hey there". She began to apologize profusely as my 16 year old daughter sat there and laughed and my 9 year old son giggled a bit. My son later said that she was his favorite waitress ever. Now that I think about, I probably could have milked it for some free dessert.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PayneTrain wrote:...But now I have to be a Pats fan. Sorry Spydernut :p
Noooooo! Say it isn't so! :p I'll be rooting for the Seahawks. :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't like either team for various reasons. But SEatle is the less of the evil as most would say. But I will say that if someone hands Brady his hat and shows him to the exit door like the NY Giants did twice I will be sort of happy :rolleyes:

I can't believe that Green Bay laid the egg they did :( And the rest of the AFC truly has some soul searching to do :o

I can't hardly believe how good of talent and how good of coach ( Andy Ried) we have (Kansas City Chiefs) and how bad we did this season.

If Dallas doesn't do something right next season I say it's time to gut the entire team ( Romo & Garrett included :mad: )

Doesn't surprise me that Peyton Place Manning laid an egg> because he always seems to when it really counts :( I still say that their dad ARchie Manning had more talent than both of them put together.

Yeah once these "Swell-Heads" get those big contracts they seem to run out of gas immediately. Take me back to the days of Lenny Dawson, Roger Staubach and Joe Montana ( the real all time best QBs) I'm going to spend more of my time learning more of the stuff that really matters. Mean Joe Greene and Ed Too Tall Jones both were real foot ball players>> and that's when football was real too :rolleyes:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JD Spydo wrote:If Dallas doesn't do something right next season I say it's time to gut the entire team ( Romo & Garrett included :mad: )

Doesn't surprise me that Peyton Place Manning laid an egg> because he always seems to when it really counts :( I still say that their dad ARchie Manning had more talent than both of them put together.
I would classify making the playoffs and advancing to the next level as "something right." Doing what you suggested would be tantamount to the 49ers firing Steve Marriuchi after a winning record and 4 playoff trips: rash and ill-advised. Romo is harshly criticized by the media and general public for no real reason that I can think of. At the same time he had a reputation for "choking" he also had the highest 4th quarter passer rating of all active QBs (probably doesn't at this point). I always ask people this: which quarterback would you rather have? Seriously. Of course there are some marquis names like Rodgers and Manning, but out of the general pool of NFL QBs you could do a lot worse than Romo. Garrett is another story, but I feel like his faults as a head coach are Jerry Jones' failure as a GM/Owner/Supreme overlord. Speaking of Manning...

The man is a first ballot hall of famer, no question. He came back from what many though was career ending neck surgery to come back and be more than just relevant. With Peyton under center you barely need a head coach. Comparing people from past iterations of the NFL is very difficult, it's a very different game nowadays, so I really don't have an argument there, but several superbowl rings have to mean something (between the two sons).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:If Dallas doesn't do something right next season I say it's time to gut the entire team ( Romo & Garrett included :mad: )

I would classify making the playoffs and advancing to the next level as "something right." Doing what you suggested would be tantamount to the 49ers firing Steve Marriuchi after a winning record and 4 playoff trips: rash and ill-advised. Romo is harshly criticized by the media and general public for no real reason that I can think of. At the same time he had a reputation for "choking" he also had the highest 4th quarter passer rating of all active QBs (probably doesn't at this point). I always ask people this: which quarterback would you rather have? Seriously. Of course there are some marquis names like Rodgers and Manning, but out of the general pool of NFL QBs you could do a lot worse than Romo. Garrett is another story, but I feel like his faults as a head coach are Jerry Jones' failure as a GM/Owner/Supreme overlord. Speaking of Manning...

The man is a first ballot hall of famer, no question. He came back from what many though was career ending neck surgery to come back and be more than just relevant. With Peyton under center you barely need a head coach. Comparing people from past iterations of the NFL is very difficult, it's a very different game nowadays, so I really don't have an argument there, but several superbowl rings have to mean something (between the two sons).
A lot of what I said was just kind of a parody to spur on some controversy :D And I guess it worked too well :o Actually I'm a fan of Tony Romo but I was disappointed at the Green Bay game and the Dez Bryant catch? no catch? debacle to say the least was truly just bad fortune any way you look at it. I just wish they hadn't let go of DeMarcus Ware.

But now with Peyton Manning you've got to admit that he has truly blown a lot of playoff games over the years that many so called experts predicted him to win easily and this last time is no exception>> only to come up short again :( . And I will stand on my statement that his and Eli's dad i.e. ARchie Manning was truly a super athlete in his time who just got terrible breaks throughout his NFL career. However he made the Pro-Bowl I don't know how many times playing with losing teams unfortunately. If him and Walter Payton and our Bill Kenney (KC QB) had been on winning teams their records would have been astounding I'm sure of it. Walter Payton still racked up a super running back record ( one of the top 3 of all time) playing on mostly losing teams. It wasn't until close to the end of his career that he enjoyed playing on couple of winning teams for a change and he did get to win one Superbowl GOD bless him.

As far as the Manning Brother's Superbowl rings Peyton only has one and Eli has 2>> My argument being that Peyton really should have more than Eli IMO and actually he should have about 4 or 5 of them really as talented as he is. Oh he's a hall of famer for sure. And Eli probably is as well and I owe Eli a debt of gratitude for depriving Brady the way he did two times :D

Really when you get down to it all of these Sports analysis is really subjective in a lot of ways>> because to me it's still mind blowing that our KC Chiefs made it to 2 Superbowls and actually won one :eek: and they were a huge underdog when they did. Even though Eli has 2 rings he is in no way nearly as good of a QB as his Brother and I still don't think either one of them are as good as their dad was. If their dad had been with the Oakland Raiders during their heyday he would have made Ken Stabler look like a back up.

Many say that Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver of all time>> hard to argue with his stats but who else has had the luxury of having Steve Young and Joe Montana pitch to them during his prime :cool: The 2 years we had Montana here in KC he took us to the playoffs both times but he had no receiver he could depend on like Rice so we never got to the big dance but it sure wasn't Joe's fault at all>> I just wish we would have had him for 5 or 6 years instead of 2 :(

A lot of this football success isn't really individual talent as much as it is "Right Place, Right Time" fortunes. But after all Sports, in the department store of life is in the TOY department>> but it is a bit entertaining for sure :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

IT WAS A CATCH! :mad:
Oh well, better luck next year. Seriously. Next year or bust. And the thing busting is going to be Romo's back. I hope he can make it through the preseason, let alone to a Super Bowl win. I have his jersey in my closet and I hope to wear it for years to come, but boy he's beginning to worry me. The man deserves a Super Bowl, and I sincerely hope he gets it...soon.
JD Spydo wrote: A lot of this football success isn't really individual talent as much as it is "Right Place, Right Time" fortunes.
Indeed. Half of the stats are made up daily to make each game seem bigger than it really is, and you can believe me because I've posted more meaningless nonsense in this thread than any other person from CT since the last time my dog ate dinner. See how easy that is? Taking any record at face value without reading into the story behind it is either missing most of the history that number is trying to capture, or believing in a total fairy tale. Legends can be made in a matter of seconds or in a matter of years, and Brad Johnson can win a Super Bowl.
JD Spydo wrote: But after all Sports, in the department store of life is in the TOY department>> but it is a bit entertaining for sure :D
A lovely metaphor. You have a way with words, JD!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PayneTrain wrote:IT WAS A CATCH! :mad:
Oh well, better luck next year. Seriously. Next year or bust. And the thing busting is going to be Romo's back. I hope he can make it through the preseason, let alone to a Super Bowl win. I have his jersey in my closet and I hope to wear it for years to come, but boy he's beginning to worry me. The man deserves a Super Bowl, and I sincerely hope he gets it...soon.
JD Spydo wrote: A lot of this football success isn't really individual talent as much as it is "Right Place, Right Time" fortunes.
Indeed. and Brad Johnson can win a Super Bowl.
JD Spydo wrote: But after all Sports, in the department store of life is in the TOY department>> but it is a bit entertaining for sure :D
A lovely metaphor. You have a way with words, JD!
BRAD JOHNSON!! Winning A SUPERBOWL!! Yes Payne is right it really did happen back in 02 if my memory is not malfunctioning :rolleyes: But if you think that's bad what about TRENT DILFER winning a SUPERBOWL :eek: Well that happened too back in 01 if I'm not mistaken>> good grief!! talk about someone not deserving something :rolleyes:

yeah I sort of like Tony Romo myself. If T.O. hadn't been a selfish jerk they probably would have been there at the big dance already :rolleyes:

But this Brady-Bellyache ( Belichick) combo isn't enough to make you up-chuck then I don't know what would make you lose your dinner. Talk about Arrogance taken to a new all time low :rolleyes: But since my man Joe Montana hung up his cletes I really haven't liked many at the QB spot with the exception of Kurt Warner who truly was a class act. Just like steroids ruined baseball all of the selfish, give me the ball buttheads have also ruined football to a large degree i.e. TO & OchoStinko.

Yeah Roger Staubach, Lenny Dawson, Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Walter Payton>> now those were football players.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JD Spydo wrote:I really haven't liked many at the QB spot with the exception of Kurt Warner who truly was a class act.
Maybe, I just hated how they insisted on showing his wife every time he was playing. Also she looked like Gozer the Gozerian.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
But this Brady-Bellyache ( Belichick) combo isn't enough to make you up-chuck then I don't know what would make you lose your dinner. Talk about Arrogance taken to a new all time low
:rolleyes: But since my man Joe Montana hung up his cletes I really haven't liked many at the QB spot with the exception of Kurt Warner who truly was a class act. Just like steroids ruined baseball all of the selfish, give me the ball buttheads have also ruined football to a large degree i.e. TO & OchoStinko.

Yeah Roger Staubach, Lenny Dawson, Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Walter Payton>> now those were football players.
You hit the nail on the head there, Joe. I literally blows my mind that these chumps can get away with cheating like they do. :mad: I didn't like the Patriots before, but now I really have very little respect for them. Very poor.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

"You aint cheatin', you aint tryin'"

-Gozer the Gozerian
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I'm sick and tired of Dreamy Tom Bradley and now the cheating thing after they caught cheating in another game recording the oppositions practice. Then Richard Sherman turned me against the Seahawks. I just hate it they both can't lose. This may be the first time I haven't watched a Super BowlBowl
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
But this Brady-Bellyache ( Belichick) combo isn't enough to make you up-chuck then I don't know what would make you lose your dinner. Talk about Arrogance taken to a new all time low
:rolleyes: But since my man Joe Montana hung up his cletes I really haven't liked many at the QB spot with the exception of Kurt Warner who truly was a class act. Just like steroids ruined baseball all of the selfish, give me the ball buttheads have also ruined football to a large degree i.e. TO & OchoStinko.

You hit the nail on the head there, Joe. I literally blows my mind that these chumps can get away with cheating like they do. :mad: I didn't like the Patriots before, but now I really have very little respect for them. Very poor.
OH YEAH!! Spydernut you and I are definitely on the same page on this one for sure ;) If Tom "Sarah" Brady didn't have that line protecting his daintly, ivy league a#* he wouldn't be anything but an Arena League bozo :rolleyes: Because look at the game this year where he come to our beautiful ARROWHEAD Stadium to take on our Kansas City Chiefs who for one time this year played like they wanted to win for a change> Because Justin Houston and Tambla Hali leveled his little panty-waist and showed the entire nation what he is really not made of :rolleyes: And by the way we here at ARROWHEAD stadium that night set a new World Record for high decibel noise that evening too. It sure made Sarah's oh I mean Tom Brady's night a really miseralble one>> and when Bill Bellyache did the post game interview I thought his sorry excuse for being a man was going to break down and start crying like a kid that just lost his first little league game :rolleyes: I hope they bring Beavis & Butthead's Brother Tom back next year for a taste of what our defense can do when they are hyped up by a grizzly ARROWHEAD stadium crowd :D And I hope they do it again on Monday Night Football again too :D

No I'm not a Seahawks fan either :rolleyes: I was truly saddened when Aaron Rodgers blew it>> I really thought he was going to get ring #2 but maybe next year.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

And as long as we're all pounding on the "morality" pulpit, I think it's fair to point out that USC was found to be in violation of recruiting rules while Pete Carroll (now seahawks head coach) was their head coach. He immediately left them for Seattle, claiming that the two year bowl ban, elimination of scholarships and other sanctions were "not a factor" (although these are obviously crippling to a program). Clearly, by leaving he managed to escape completely unpunished.

I think, at the top, you're unlikely to find many people who didn't circumvent rules in some way.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:And as long as we're all pounding on the "morality" pulpit, I think it's fair to point out that USC was found to be in violation of recruiting rules while Pete Carroll (now seahawks head coach) was their head coach. He immediately left them for Seattle, claiming that the two year bowl ban, elimination of scholarships and other sanctions were "not a factor" (although these are obviously crippling to a program). Clearly, by leaving he managed to escape completely unpunished.

I think, at the top, you're unlikely to find many people who didn't circumvent rules in some way.
I agree. The Pats just got caught.
As did the Saints for Bounty Gate.
And so on and so on.
The NFL prolly couldn't be more happier now, as deflate gate has only increased interest about a 100 fold.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

MacLaren wrote:The NFL prolly couldn't be more happier now, as deflate gate has only increased interest about a 100 fold.
You hit the nail on the head there buddy. No such thing as bad publicity (esp you have a monopoly).
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:
MacLaren wrote:The NFL prolly couldn't be more happier now, as deflate gate has only increased interest about a 100 fold.
You hit the nail on the head there buddy. No such thing as bad publicity (esp you have a monopoly).
And, a tax free one at that! :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:And as long as we're all pounding on the "morality" pulpit, I think it's fair to point out that USC was found to be in violation of recruiting rules while Pete Carroll (now seahawks head coach) was their head coach. He immediately left them for Seattle, claiming that the two year bowl ban, elimination of scholarships and other sanctions were "not a factor" (although these are obviously crippling to a program). Clearly, by leaving he managed to escape completely unpunished.

"tvenuto" I can't hardly argue with your point that you made. Because there has been a ton of corruption in many of the professional and college sports in the past 30 years. And even longer than that in one of my personal favorite sports and that being boxing>> and boxing has been so corrupt over the years it's almost been laughable :rolleyes:

But to totally ignore an absolute wrong and not to call attention to it isn't right either. And I don't even have a football dog in this upcoming Superbowl fight anyway>> If I were to choose between the "less Of the 2 evils" I would probably be more inclined to root for Seattle. But it's so un-important to me that I won't really even care one way or the other. I don't even like the New York Giants per se but I did love the way they handed Brady his hat in 2 Superbowls when the big Sports writers never even gave the Giants a chance in either game :rolleyes:

But it's like I pointed out in my one post>> If our life is a department store and sports is a part of it>> then you will find Sports in the TOY department>> It's so corrupt anymore that the sports heros of old must be disgusted beyond belief. Hank Aaron will always be the real home run king in my book and I'll just leave it there for right now. But you do make some good points worth considering.