Multitool suggestions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Multitool suggestions?

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Indeed...and if I remember correctly, most Leatherman saws only cut on the pull, whereas Vic's cut on push and pull. I've taken down trees with my SAKs.
Another tool I want to point out on my Victorinox SWISS TOOL multitool and I'm sure you have it on yours too EVIL and it's a combination mini-hacksaw and a good quality file on the sides. That mini-hacksaw really will cut some serious metal in a pinch>> and the file part is a very aggressive file similar to what you would expect on a decent grade Nicholson file.

Again the tools on the VIC units are real tools. Hey I'm not putting down Leatherman, SOG, BUCK or any others because I have friends that swear by them. But the one's I've used which are the Swiss made Victorinox units just can't be beat in my book.

I'm sort of surprised in a way that some of your other marquee knife makers that I could easily mention don't get into the multi-tool market :o

I would love to see a multitool with a straight razor on it :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it's probably a tough market to get into. I'm sure the vast majority of MT users are very Leatherman biased, and rightfully so considering Leatherman practically invented the market (well, the versions with pliers anyway). Victorinox have been making their multitool knives for 100 years so they definitely have it down to a science. My understanding is that their warranty department are excellent to deal with as well. I really wish they'd get serious about their knife market and make some higher end knives with different steel options.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I think it's probably a tough market to get into. I'm sure the vast majority of MT users are very Leatherman biased, and rightfully so considering Leatherman practically invented the market (well, the versions with pliers anyway). Victorinox have been making their multitool knives for 100 years so they definitely have it down to a science. My understanding is that their warranty department are excellent to deal with as well. I really wish they'd get serious about their knife market and make some higher end knives with different steel options.
I didn't realize that VIC was making multitools for 100 years plus >> and I've even wondered myself why they don't make some high end, super quality blades ( fixed and folder). But the product that they make and the market that they target I'm sure they have their act more together than maybe any of us even realize.

Like I told EVIL in a PM I sent him recently I had a contact for their Swiss and German made units and some of their other accessories but the lady was kicked out of our neighbor to the north and I sure miss doing business with them directly. Victorinox has the best fanny pack on the market barr none in my opinion. I didn't even like fanny packs or anything like it until I got a Victorinox unit. They are truly like having a little mini back pack>> they have so many usable compartments to where they are more like a utility belt more than anything along those lines.

What I loved about Victorinox's knives were their Swiss made CHAMP knives>> they are the ultimate of Swiss Army Knives. They are like an advanced multitool of with very high quality tools attached. I regret getting rid of all of them because it truly was different than any SAK I ever had.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Being a hopeless gadget person, I'm probably going to get the new Leatherman Tread (http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/22/leat ... -bracelet/" target="_blank). Anyone else inclined?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

wrdwrght wrote:Being a hopeless gadget person, I'm probably going to get the new Leatherman Tread (http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/22/leat ... -bracelet/" target="_blank). Anyone else inclined?
Looks interesting for sure.. See what others have to say once in hand!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

wrdwrght wrote:Being a hopeless gadget person, I'm probably going to get the new Leatherman Tread (http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/22/leat ... -bracelet/" target="_blank). Anyone else inclined?
Woah, I LOVE it!!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Love my Leatherman charge ti and mut. They've got some interesting stuff coming soon too... http://www.leatherman.com/on/demandware ... ost/?p=703" target="_blank http://www.leatherman.com/on/demandware ... ost/?p=705" target="_blank
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The new Waves and Charges are okay, but those bits are stupid. I have an old model Wave at work and it rules. I find all those flatheads way more useful than the new crap. One good thing about the new is the tiny bits, if you wear glasses. The Victorinox looks awesome. If I ever get a new one, that'll be it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I originally bought my MUT just for the bits! They are great, just as useable but take up a fraction of the space as standard bits. Plus it was the only way I could get robertson bits (square) on a multitool. Now with the charge I also have the mini's for glasses etc. I only with the charge had storage for a few bits like the MUT has. The MUT is a bit big to carry unless you know you'll need it plus the clip will destroy your pocket if not using the sheath. I must say the hammer has proved very usefull, although I never really thought it would be. And the replaceable wire cutters are far superior to the charges non replaceable ones. One of these days Leatherman will make the perfect tool for me or I'll make my own hybrid out of a few...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote: I didn't realize that VIC was making multitools for 100 years plus >>
I was referring to their SAK's, not so much multitools...but then SAK's really are the grandfather of the multitool aren't they?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: I didn't realize that VIC was making multitools for 100 years plus >>
I was referring to their SAK's, not so much multitools...but then SAK's really are the grandfather of the multitool aren't they?
No argument there at all>> because when you think about and do check out their Swiss made CHAMP models of their SAKs you will see many of the same tools you see on their multitools. The Only thing I really didn't like about the CHAMP models is that they take up so much space you might as well have a full blown multitool.

But if you are or anyone for that matter are really big on camping out and going on long hikes those CHAMP models would be a great asset to have. I sort of wish i would have kept at least one of them. Check out the CHAMP models on the web sometime I think you'll be impressed and I truly do think they were part of the multitool evolution process.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I came close to finding a Champ before I got my Spirit. In the end I decided that while the pliers were very usable, they just weren't substantial enough.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I came close to finding a Champ before I got my Spirit. In the end I decided that while the pliers were very usable, they just weren't substantial enough.
That's one aspect I love about my Swiss Tool is that the pliers are real pliers and they work good for most applications>> I'd be lying if I said they were as good of quality as let's say Channelock pliers made here in the Good Old USA :cool: But they are better made than most anything you can find at Rip-Mart :rolleyes:

I know a lot of people will roll their eyes up in their head but the actual can opener on my Swiss Tool works better than any of the P-38 devices that my Military relatives have given me over the years. And it opens a can cleanly with few sharp edges. But again that wood, tree limb saw and the hacksaw both on that Swiss Tool are truly real, well made tools.

If any of you guys and/or gals here at Spyderville have boys or girls in the Boy or Girl Scouts you absolutely should get them a Victorinox CHAMP knife>> it would make them head and shoulders ahead of their peers at Scout Camp. And they would learn the important value of using edged tools properly and safely.