Nite-Ize figure 9 rope things

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Nite-Ize figure 9 rope things

Post by jackknifeh »

I got these a while back and have used them several times to tie stuff to the top of our Chevy Tracker with rails on the top. Prior to these I'd always use Lowe's twine they have at the lumber door. These are about 10 times better because you don't need knots. I have two sizes and the size is what matters.

Larger
Notice how the rope I tied to the rail AFTER the carabiner is tight. This indicates the rope may have slipped in the device because the rope is too small for that size carabiner.

Smaller
Notice how the rope I tied after the carabiner is still slack. That would indicate the rope didn't slip because the device is smaller. The size rope and carabiner matching makes these things a godsend IMO.

Here's a picture of different configurations of using these things. Nite-Ize has several different types. I live on the FL panhandle and figured these would be really fast for tying up our stuff outside when a hurricane is coming. Haven't had a hurricane since I bought them though. :( Just kidding. :) :D Don't care for hurricanes.
For carrying the plywood home I used config #2. The dotted poles are the rails on opposite sides of my car.
jackknifeh

Re: Nite-Ize figure 9 rope things

Post by jackknifeh »

jackknifeh wrote:I got these a while back and have used them several times to tie stuff to the top of our Chevy Tracker with rails on the top. Prior to these I'd always use Lowe's twine they have at the lumber door. These are about 10 times better because you don't need knots. I have two sizes and the size is what matters.

Larger
Notice how the rope I tied to the rail AFTER the carabiner is tight. This indicates the rope may have slipped in the device because the rope is too small for that size carabiner.

Smaller
Notice how the rope I tied after the carabiner is still slack. That would indicate the rope didn't slip because the device is smaller. The size rope and carabiner matching makes these things a godsend IMO.

Here's a picture of different configurations of using these things. Nite-Ize has several different types. I live on the FL panhandle and figured these would be really fast for tying up our stuff outside when a hurricane is coming. Haven't had a hurricane since I bought them though. :( Just kidding. :) :D Don't care for hurricanes.
For carrying the plywood home I used config #2. The dotted poles are the rails on opposite sides of my car.
PS
I tied the rope to the rail of my car AFTER the carabiner only because I find it hard to trust this WITHOUT a knot. Just the old-timer in me I suppose. But I've never had anything even come loose a little when using these. I have to drive about 8 miles from Lowe's to my house with up to 55 mph. But when I got home and saw there was still slack in the rope using the smaller carabiner that made me feel very secure.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have a couple of those things, but I never have one when I need it. I've learned enough knot tying to find them largely unnecessary. When I tie something down, it stays that way. With a little practice you can use rope to exert a lot of force.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

yablanowitz wrote:I have a couple of those things, but I never have one when I need it. I've learned enough knot tying to find them largely unnecessary. When I tie something down, it stays that way. With a little practice you can use rope to exert a lot of force.
When using knots I always would think "there's got to be a way to pull the rope tight and tie the knot without loosing any tension. Even when using only knots I've never had anything come off my car (or whatever) but tying them was a pain. So while the carabiners may not be more secure they do make the job faster. Knots have always fascinated me though. I've never been in a job or situation where they were a life and death issue. Like on a pirate ship. :) Even the knots used for knife lanyards or FOB's are intriguing. The only one I can tie is a "hangman's noose" knot.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

There are plenty of ways to pull the rope tight and tie it off without losing the tension. One I find quite useful is a "taut line knot" also called a "mover's knot", a three-turn bend that will slide if you grasp the knot itself, but won't slide by tension on the line.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

There are some great books, websites and apps illustrating many dozens of knots: a while ago whilst recuperating from a heel op I spent many entertaining hours trying these out. As someone who often sails and used to rock climb, I already knew a few; the "jury mast rig" knot was my new favourite, but one I never intend to use for real!

Having said that, the Figure 9 is a pretty nifty item. I have both the carabiner and basic versions, and use them when camping for line tensioning for tarps, storm guys, washing lines etc. They work well, and are quick to both deploy and remove.