Helle Knife: I like it alot!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Helle Knife: I like it alot!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is a Helle Knife I have: The Scout Knife, made in Norway. The steel is Sandvik Stainless and the Handle is wood, a form of birch, I think. The red butt end is painted red. The sheath is leather with the design of a Norwegien scout.

http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/knives- ... knife.html" target="_blank

For some reason I am unable to post pictures from my end. Does anyone know how to insert an image on here?
NoFair

Re: Helle Knife: I like it alot!

Post by NoFair »

This is what most kids grow up with here. The double guard is in the way for a lot of use and most switch to other designs when 10+ years old or sooner. My daughter got one when she was 4 :D and currently uses a Delica and 4" fixed blade (she is 9)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I have a Jegermester, that I like. Very sharp out of the box. Very thin behind the edge. Beautiful knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This doesn't surprise me at all. There are a lot of those Scandinavian knives I've been impressed with. The FROST MORA brand comes to mind immediately>> there was a super article in an old survival magazine called "Wilderness Way" and the author at the time said that the FROST MORA brand was truly the very best quality for the price you could get on the entire planet,

I've not yet owned one of the HELLE brand of blades but I've heard good about them. Even Les Stroud uses Scandi knives quite a bit on his show "Survivorman".

The Fallkniven brand comes to mind as well but with the materials they use I'm wondering if they are a true Scandi knife company like Helle and FROST MORA??? But I do like a lot of their stuff.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Helle's are really nice. Hand made. Even the sheaths.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would you all consider this Helle knife in particular survival-worthy? I believe it could do the jobs. I know people like the full-tang versions for bushcrafting better, but, this is a strong and sturdy, razor-sharp and solid knife.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The smaller one of these is a Helle Eggen. They're good knives for bushcrafting and you could probably use it as a survival knife even though it's not full tang. I find the birch handle to be a little uncomfortable but I guess I could change that with a bit of sandpaper. They're good value for money, I paid less for that one than my Delica.

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I got a Harding before Thanksgiving and it is my carry any time I am in the woods!! Super light on the belt.. Fits my hand real nice and sharp as a laser.. Made a few feather sticks with it and did a nice job.. I have more than a few fixed blades and will say this knife is at the top of the list!! And wont be my last Helle!!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)