Joe Cocker Dies: The End Of An Era

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Joe Cocker Dies: The End Of An Era

Post by JD Spydo »

I just learned last night that Joe Cocker of Woodstock fame died at age 70 :( It's a special era coming to an end in one sense but in another sense it's a special talent that will live on for decades.

I was just a green teen-ager when I first saw the movie of WOODSTOCK and his version of the old Beatle's song "With A Little Help From My Friends" that gave me a great appreciation of his special talent. Joe Cocker, Joan Baez, Janis Joplin ( My Mother) :D and several other super artists who gathered for a historic super music event.

His classic LP, 33 rpm, double album "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" was in my collection for many years and I played it to the point of literally wearing it out :eek: much to my parents misery :D

My condolences to Mr Cocker's family :( Rest In Peace Mr Superstar :cool: I can still hear Jimi Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner off in the distance :cool:
On Edge

Re: Joe Cocker Dies: The End Of An Era

Post by On Edge »

A sad day indeed.

He was a true talent that brought an intensity too rarely seen.

Still getting by with a little help from my friends …

Rest in peace, Joe.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

R.I.P. Joe.. He was/is one of my all time favorites!! I hated to hear this.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Truly only the good die young. :(
Although I wasn't around for Woodstock (much to my chagrin), I truly believe some of the best music came from the early '60's through the '70's--including that from Mr. Cocker. Condolences and prayers to his family.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I was sad when I heard the news. Such a great talent, a very soulful singer. There are very few singers that people of all ages and musical tastes can listen to and enjoy, he was one of the great ones.
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

Another icon passes on. When one of my favorites dies I listen to their music for a while and think about that person as an artist. Mad Dogs and Englishmen on now. This is happening all to often these days. Sad. I'm not sure the talent is being replaced.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I totally agree JD. I started feeling that way after the passing of Ray Charles and Billy Preston. Not exactly sure what happens when the "classics" are the Jonas Bros and Taylor Swift. I guess our play lists are going to stay fairly dusty :(.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I wonder if his pall bearers were his friends.....too soon?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:Truly only the good die young. :(
Although I wasn't around for Woodstock (much to my chagrin), I truly believe some of the best music came from the early '60's through the '70's--including that from Mr. Cocker. Condolences and prayers to his family.
I'm really not much of a movie person>> it takes a really good movie to get me to want to watch. But I advise everyone who loved Joe Cocker to get the movie of WOODSTOCK and see Joe Cocker do the old Beatle's song "With A Little Help From My Friends" >> it will truly blow you away. Not to mention Brother Jimi Hendrix, Alvin Lee & Ten Years After, Country Joe & The Fish, Janis Joplin and so many more.

Joe Cocker put all of his soul into each and everyone of his songs. It will be a long time and maybe never in our lifetimes before anybody comparable comes along. He fought the ravages of Cerebal Palsy for years before it finally got the best of him. GOD Love You JOE COCKER... R.I.P. my man
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

enduraguy wrote:I wonder if his pall bearers were his friends.....too soon?
I would have been honored to have been one of Mr. Cocker's pall bearers>> he was a great human being as well as being a great musician, singer and activist. I have a ton of respect for the musicians of his era and many of the values they stood for at that time.

I lot of people completely misunderstood people like him, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and many other people of that era.

Another fact that few people knew about him is how many people he helped make into music stars like Rita Coolidge, Delaney & Bonnie and so many behind the scenes musicians that are almost too numerous to mention. It's almost unbelievable that he fought his physical affliction with the courage he had and for as many years as he did. He was an incredible man and GOD Rest His Soul. My condolences.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

An excellent singer & wonderful human being. A great loss, a better triumph. RIP Mr. Cocker

https://youtu.be/Mzf5EBY8gCQ" target="_blank
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

chal45oye wrote:it takes a really good movie to get me to want to watch. But I advise everyone who loved Joe Cocker to get the movie of WOODSTOCK and see Joe Cocker do the old Beatle's song "With A Little Help From My Friends" >> it will truly blow you away. Not to mention Brother Jimi Hendrix, Alvin Lee & Ten Years After, Country Joe & The Fish, Janis Joplin and so many more. ??/
HEY DUDE!!! You're talking my language now :D !! Alvin Lee with Ten Years After doing "I'm Going Home" was one of the most electric, adreneline charged concerts I had ever seen.

With the Political environment the way it was in the late 60s it took a lot of guts to even be a part of Woodstock IMO. But Joe Cocker "With A Little Help From My Friends" was truly a huge highlight of the festival for sure :cool:

I also loved the songs that Joan Baez did>> A super lady in the truest sense of the word. Not to mention a great voice and talent beyond belief. I wish I could have been there but Brother you're right the movie is the next best thing.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

JD Spydo wrote:" … I would have been honored to have been one of Mr. Cocker's pall bearers>> he was a great human being as well as being a great musician, singer and activist. I have a ton of respect for the musicians of his era and many of the values they stood for at that time.

I lot of people completely misunderstood people like him, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and many other people of that era.

Another fact that few people knew about him is how many people he helped make into music stars like Rita Coolidge, Delaney & Bonnie and so many behind the scenes musicians that are almost too numerous to mention. It's almost unbelievable that he fought his physical affliction with the courage he had and for as many years as he did. He was an incredible man and GOD Rest His Soul. My condolences.
Could not have said this better … quite a man ...