How do I go about getting a Strider?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: How do I go about getting a Strider?

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:
Evil D wrote:
DRKBC wrote:There has been quite a few lately on BF, you want an SMF over SNG?
Yep, go big or go home. If I'm buying folder that's designed around strength and is ground so fat it can be used as a door stop, I'm not real worried about making it small or light.
Then the SMF should be the one. It could be my imagination but it seems to me that they come up for a little bigger discount (the used ones that is) than SNG's on BF and there has been some pretty good deals as of late, providing you can find the model you are after. You have no doubt heard they suffer from lock rock so it is good to make sure there is none prior to purchase, I would think that would be one advantage to buying new. Pretty cool knife though especially with the Gunner Grip, post pictures if you find one. I think TNK just got in a few but I think they are all CPM154.
Yeah, the lock rock does concern me. What's the whole story on their warranty as far as that goes? I've seen people using shrink tube on the stop pin to remove it temporarily. I've never had CPM154, I understand it to be a very tough steel, but I've got my heart set on 3V. It's no biggie if I don't find one, I'm half tempted to look into a TUFF anyway, I'm just really in love with that gunner grip pattern and their supposed no questions asked warranty (if that's true). Also what's the deal with the sales section on BF? Do you have to be a paid member to buy or just to list?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

None of the SNG's or SMF's I've owned had rock lock. There was also no sign of poor QC like I've read about. I had a Dwyer custom in Rex 20 (M62), 3V SMF GG, (2) Z wear SNG, and PD#1 SMF.

The Rock lock out of the bag story is not anything remotely like what I experienced. If you get one with rock lock put it back in the bag and send it back to the seller. They surely won't argue unless you take it apart and try to fix it. Strider does not seem to like that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Mastiff wrote:None of the SNG's or SMF's I've owned had rock lock. There was also no sign of poor QC like I've read about. I had a Dwyer custom in Rex 20 (M62), 3V SMF GG, (2) Z wear SNG, and PD#1 SMF.

The Rock lock out of the bag story is not anything remotely like what I experienced. If you get one with rock lock put it back in the bag and send it back to the seller. They surely won't argue unless you take it apart and try to fix it. Strider does not seem to like that.

So lets say I get one that doesn't have any, and I go out and use it for what it's designed to be used for and it develops play...what's the warranty process? Any fees involved? Turn around time? Seems most people don't know because they safe queen their Striders.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:
DRKBC wrote:
Evil D wrote:
DRKBC wrote:There has been quite a few lately on BF, you want an SMF over SNG?
Yep, go big or go home. If I'm buying folder that's designed around strength and is ground so fat it can be used as a door stop, I'm not real worried about making it small or light.
Then the SMF should be the one. It could be my imagination but it seems to me that they come up for a little bigger discount (the used ones that is) than SNG's on BF and there has been some pretty good deals as of late, providing you can find the model you are after. You have no doubt heard they suffer from lock rock so it is good to make sure there is none prior to purchase, I would think that would be one advantage to buying new. Pretty cool knife though especially with the Gunner Grip, post pictures if you find one. I think TNK just got in a few but I think they are all CPM154.
Yeah, the lock rock does concern me. What's the whole story on their warranty as far as that goes? I've seen people using shrink tube on the stop pin to remove it temporarily. I've never had CPM154, I understand it to be a very tough steel, but I've got my heart set on 3V. It's no biggie if I don't find one, I'm half tempted to look into a TUFF anyway, I'm just really in love with that gunner grip pattern and their supposed no questions asked warranty (if that's true). Also what's the deal with the sales section on BF? Do you have to be a paid member to buy or just to list?
From what I understand there warranty is very good, it follows the knife and they will repair it for almost any reason provided it hasn't been modified, but that said it is very slow, from what I have heard anyway.

I have CPM 154 on 4 different knives, it takes a good edge, holds it well and is easy to sharpen but that is about as far as I go with it. I don't have a lot of super steels in my collection, ZDP189 is about as fancy as I own.

Re the BF sales section you can buy without a gold membership, you just can't sell or PM people. I have a gold membership and it has been great for me as it is nice to have a way to sell off knives you are know longer using. I have had great results there with both buying and selling, news travels fast so people don't typically mis-represent things. One thing I have noticed on BF is there is so much traffic that if you are patient what you want typically does come up as a rule of thumb it generally happens right after you have bought something else or your hot water heater has just blown.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I sold my CPM154 SMF a while back (the Tuff served the same role for me and I liked it better). The buyer claimed it had some lock rock (which I never noticed) but I don't know if he loosened the pivot or what. My SNG on the other hand has been rock solid and I keep the pivot slightly loosen than most of my other knives. I can't say a bad thing about the models I owned. One day I will try to pick up another SNG, perhaps in PD#1.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:
Evil D wrote:
DRKBC wrote:
Evil D wrote: Yep, go big or go home. If I'm buying folder that's designed around strength and is ground so fat it can be used as a door stop, I'm not real worried about making it small or light.
From what I understand there warranty is very good, it follows the knife and they will repair it for almost any reason provided it hasn't been modified, but that said it is very slow, from what I have heard anyway.

I have CPM 154 on 4 different knives, it takes a good edge, holds it well and is easy to sharpen but that is about as far as I go with it. I don't have a lot of super steels in my collection, ZDP189 is about as fancy as I own.

Re the BF sales section you can buy without a gold membership, you just can't sell or PM people. I have a gold membership and it has been great for me as it is nice to have a way to sell off knives you are know longer using. I have had great results there with both buying and selling, news travels fast so people don't typically mis-represent things. One thing I have noticed on BF is there is so much traffic that if you are patient what you want typically does come up as a rule of thumb it generally happens right after you have bought something else or your hot water heater has just blown.
Yeah, timing is everything, need to have the cash ready right now as it seems the ones that are in demand don't last but a few hours most of the time.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:None of the SNG's or SMF's I've owned had rock lock. There was also no sign of poor QC like I've read about. I had a Dwyer custom in Rex 20 (M62), 3V SMF GG, (2) Z wear SNG, and PD#1 SMF.

So lets say I get one that doesn't have any, and I go out and use it for what it's designed to be used for and it develops play...what's the warranty process? Any fees involved? Turn around time? Seems most people don't know because they safe queen their Striders.
My MSC PT had lock issues and I just sent it to Mick. Warranty process is here. https://mickstridercustomknives.com/warranty/" target="_blank I just popped it a USPS flat rate with contact info and a description of the problem, insured it and sent it down. Just got an email from Marisa yesterday that they received it and it should be ready next week. I did have to include $25 for the process but meh, what I paid for it, it's worth it to get it in working condition.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Invective wrote:
Evil D wrote:

My MSC PT had lock issues and I just sent it to Mick. Warranty process is here. https://mickstridercustomknives.com/warranty/" target="_blank I just popped it a USPS flat rate with contact info and a description of the problem, insured it and sent it down. Just got an email from Marisa yesterday that they received it and it should be ready next week. I did have to include $25 for the process but meh, what I paid for it, it's worth it to get it in working condition.

How much use did you put it through before it developed lock issues?
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:
Invective wrote:
Evil D wrote:

How much use did you put it through before it developed lock issues?
None, I picked it up from a local shop knowing it had some play and figured I'd be able to wash out the pivot and clean off the lcok-face and fix it but it didn't. Oops.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

A couple of Strider dealers I've ordered from include Matt D Tactical and Knife Art...

- Matt D Tactical
http://www.mattdtactical.com/" target="_blank
http://www.mattdtactical.com/STRIDER-FOLDERS_c_44.html" target="_blank
http://www.mattdtactical.com/STRIDER-KNIVES_c_5.html" target="_blank
http://www.mattdtactical.com/STRIDER-DW ... _c_45.html" target="_blank

- Knife Art
http://www.knifeart.com/" target="_blank
http://www.knifeart.com/striderknives.html" target="_blank
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have purchased all of my Striders second hand. I got one off of USN and three of them through the instagram #knifesale tag. If you aren't on instagram then you might want to get on and check it out. There are a bunch of nice knives for sale on instagram that don't always show up on the BST forums. Just search the #knifesale hashtag.

I've been seeing a few PD-1 Striders for sale lately, but it seems the 3V and Z-wear models are harder to find. Good luck in your search.