How do I go about getting a Strider?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

How do I go about getting a Strider?

Post by Evil D »

*Not looking to buy a knife, this is not a WTB thread*

I'm asking because I know there are some Strider owners on here. Browsing their site, it looks like everything is out of stock. Do I have to go through a dealer? How do I go about finding the specific handle/steel/grind combo I'm looking for? Do they build them in batches, like sprints or whatever? If what I want has come and gone, am I SOL unless I find one used for sale or can I call them and have them make me what I want?
gbelleh

Re: How do I go about getting a Strider?

Post by gbelleh »

I'm no Strider expert, and I don't currently own one, but you might check knifeart and monkeyedge. Those are about the only places I know of that seem to regularly carry Striders (others probably know of more). As far as getting the particular one you want, I don't know. Good luck.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My circle of influence on the topic is fairly limited but I know señorsquare and R azorsharp/Travis are pros at buying them. Otherwise like gbelleh mentioned Monkey Edge, Knifeart, BladeHQ would be my spots.
Invective

Post by Invective »

I have only purchased a Strider from either local knife/gun shops or B/S/T sites but I've heard great things on USN about MonkeyEdge, KnifeArt, SteelAddiction, BlueLineGear, and TNK. I think KnifeArt still has the Grey Cerakote PD1 SnG's in stock, and GPK has some Orange Cerakote SnG's as well if you'e interested in exclusives.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I have shopped at True North Knives before. Although I have only bought CRK's from Neil, he does get a really large selection of Striders and he is a great guy to deal with. The best is to contact him and ask about the knife you are interested in, I did that and he gave me a good approximation of the ETA. I was looking for a CC SNG spear point at the time and it was only a matter of a few weeks and it came into stock - along with about 8 or 12 other knives offering different scales, blade finishes etc. They all went fast though (I didn't buy one at the time as I was/am still a little on the fence about the purchase) so if you want one and it comes into stock buy it. Hope that helps.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

David, the few I have purchased and also had great success with have been TNK and KnifeArt
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Thanks guys. I guess my next question is, did a SMF ever exist in gunner grip and FFG/CPM3V? I saw the Monkey Edge 3/4 grind or whatever it is but I really want flat ground. Otherwise if I can't get the steel I want I'll probably pass on a Strider altogether...for the price, S30V/CPM154 just isn't going to cut it (pun intended). For this type of knife I want a steel that's stupid tough but still holds an edge at least on par with S30V, and my understanding is 3V is just that.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

That could be a tough order to fill, he has some nice customs for the price of a small car

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Man, the Usual Suspects Network has Striders on the BST very often. Now keep in mind, they are no interest to me so the model/steel you seek might be rarer than hen's teeth. Bladeforum has lots too, but I am not a member there.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:That could be a tough order to fill, he has some nice customs for the price of a small car

Tough indeed, as I'm not sure it ever existed. I think the 3/4 grind is my only option, I haven't seen 3V in FFG in any handle configuration yet.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I think your right, if you want Z-Wear you have to go with their 3/4 grind, at least at this point. Never say never though you should check with TNK and see if they have any info.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Striders and Rick Henderer are the custom knives I'd like to have one day.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

There are lots of people who will take a basic model and put any grind / blade shape you want and any modification to the handle.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cliff Stamp wrote:There are lots of people who will take a basic model and put any grind / blade shape you want and any modification to the handle.

Oh I'm sure, but if it's available with a particular combination, I'd rather score it that way than pay $500 for what I don't want and then pay who knows how much more to make it what I do want ;)
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I'm with you on modifying expensive knives. I know for some of us $500 isn't a lot of money to spend on a folder but for me anyway, its kind of nearing the tipping point, much more than that and it would need to shovel the walk and drive the kids to school.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:I'm with you on modifying expensive knives. I know for some of us $500 isn't a lot of money to spend on a folder but for me anyway, its kind of nearing the tipping point, much more than that and it would need to shovel the walk and drive the kids to school.
I'm not opposed to paying for a regrind or custom scale, and if it comes down to it that's probably what I'll do, I just don't know much about the brand or what has been offered so I'mrresearching my options first.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GAH! One of these just sold on BF in 12/05.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

There has been quite a few lately on BF, you want an SMF over SNG?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:There has been quite a few lately on BF, you want an SMF over SNG?
Yep, go big or go home. If I'm buying folder that's designed around strength and is ground so fat it can be used as a door stop, I'm not real worried about making it small or light.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:
DRKBC wrote:There has been quite a few lately on BF, you want an SMF over SNG?
Yep, go big or go home. If I'm buying folder that's designed around strength and is ground so fat it can be used as a door stop, I'm not real worried about making it small or light.
Then the SMF should be the one. It could be my imagination but it seems to me that they come up for a little bigger discount (the used ones that is) than SNG's on BF and there has been some pretty good deals as of late, providing you can find the model you are after. You have no doubt heard they suffer from lock rock so it is good to make sure there is none prior to purchase, I would think that would be one advantage to buying new. Pretty cool knife though especially with the Gunner Grip, post pictures if you find one. I think TNK just got in a few but I think they are all CPM154.