What if noone died or could die?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: What if noone died or could die?

Post by Evil D »

enduraguy wrote:I'm enough of an optimist to believe that if our technology reaches this point, so will all technology. We wouldn't in other words simply evolve in this one area of life extension. We would also have found ways to fix over population issues, pollution, crime, etc.

Well, you're right if for no other reason than all of the greatest minds to ever have lived would also still be alive. Can you imagine what Da Vinci could be capable of with today's technology? He had the mind and the vision but lacked the tools to make many of his ideas come to life. Can you imagine him and Einstein sitting down and working on something together? All of those people would be around and would surely push technology advancement at a much faster rate.

Now, how that would change all of these other issues is something that probably none of us can imagine since it would take minds greater than our own to find solutions.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Then again consider that as technology progresses, our likely merging with it will evolve our brains and people as brilliant as Einstein, or Tesla could potentially become more common.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

enduraguy wrote:Then again consider that as technology progresses, our likely merging with it will evolve our brains and people as brilliant as Einstein, or Tesla could potentially become more common.
Or would Einstein and Tesla also progress along with everyone else and become super geniuses?
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

I don't ever see the human race becoming a bunch of geniuses. There will always be politicians to screw it up. As long as energy is not free and infinite I think technology will advance but at a slow pace. There is a short story named "Melancholy Elephant" or close to that. The point was that if copyrights were granted in perpetuity or were infinitely renewable, which they would be if the original owner lived forever, eventually there would be nothing new written, composed, performed, painted etc. I think that would be one might boring existence. Glad I won't be around to see this dystopia.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I'm glad I'm more optimistic than a lot of people!