What do you DIY? : A hobby thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Nate

Re: What do you DIY? : A hobby thread

Post by Nate »

That's a great question, but I didn't see any of the beans I've ordered in the past in their current inventory. I typically just read through their rather extensive descriptions and look for flavors that sound appealing and try not to overthink it.

It's something I've had a lot of fun with. Very simple to get started, but it's also one of the few things I kept a detailed journal on. Keeping track of the roast time and temps, how coarse or fine I ground it, what kind of water I used (tap water is fine, but spring water is excellent and distilled water doesn't work well) and the the actual brewing method (for me, press-pot or drip). Then tasting notes from batch to batch. It's almost a good analogy to knife making. Instead of the various alloys, heat treat, geometry and sharpness, you have the raw beans, roast profile, grind, and brew method. It can be fairly simple and straightforward, or you can get really into it and make things really complex and detailed in pursuit of "perfection."

I plan to order some soon. I've had good luck with Central and South American stuff. I know that I tend to prefer darker roasts so when I read through the descriptions I look for beans that can be roasted to Full City+.
:spyder:
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

1/8" plywood skins (Baltic birch) & aluminum for a finish on top of that. Should outlast me by a few generations...
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I like working with warm glass.

This is a 15" red and blue bowl.
redblue.jpg
A set of coasters with double edge razor blades embedded.
coasters.jpg
A 12" 67 GTO glass sushi tray.
gto.jpg
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Well, mine is more unique, or taboo depending on who you ask. I created two male enhancement devices. Working on patents for both. My friend and business partner sells one and I sell the other. Malehanger is the one I sell. My site http://malehanger.com" target="_blank