Edge Pal sharpening system, anyone seen/used one?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Belsebub

Re: Edge Pal sharpening system, anyone seen/used one?

Post by Belsebub »

Hi all!
New to this forum. Stumbled over this tread via google, I haven't yet seen nor used Edgepal, but I am waiting for My Chef to arrive. And I will post My ten cents later on. I am from Sweden and haven't met Thomas, but had quite a long conversation with him over phone a few days back. He seems like a very nice guy, and he sort of think the same way as I do, the difference between us is that he creates something and does not stop with just the thought. If Chef is just close to, as good as I think it is, it will be an solid investment. I am planning on using it with sandpaper glued to glass for the coarser grits in the beginning, and then move on to ceramic, or Japanese water stones for the finer grits, and then polish with a leather strop. I also have some diamond rods, which I will experiment with. In a couple of weeks I will be able to share my experience. As for now... Over and out.
SolidState

Re:

Post by SolidState »

Evil D wrote:Ya know, i've thought a lot about convex edges lately, and i really don't see what's so special about them. What exactly are you getting from a convex edge that you don't get with a typical bevel with a micro bevel? Oh, i know you get a nice round smooth transition from the edge to the main grind of the blade, but beyond that i don't see how the edge is any tougher. In fact, if you use an Edge Pro or almost any guide system, you can go so far as to make 3 or 4 different bevels leading up to the edge, and then strop the **** out of that and you'll polish it out to where it's almost a convex. It just seems overly complicated to me.
There's a bit more to it on large blades. I will let a professional sword polisher explain better than I can:

http://www.bugei.com/niku.html" target="_blank

I hope you enjoy the reading!