Does Anybody Ride a Motorcycle or Scooter?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
senorsquare

Re: Does Anybody Ride a Motorcycle or Scooter?

Post by senorsquare »

This 2008 Bonneville was may main transportation for about 4 years. I really loved that bike but carpal tunnel syndrome and daily near death experiences finally convinced me to let it go.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is pretty cool seeing your dad in 1949. Was he in the Army Aircorps? He may have just been back from the war. A lot of fighter pilots came home from the war and started riding bikes instead of flying planes. Then, they refused to play by the rules and race in the heavily regulated official motorcycle races; hence the term, outlaw bikers. This is what it originally meant, and did not mean, as it does today, a thug, gangster, or criminal who rides in a motorcycle gang.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

senorsquare wrote:This 2008 Bonneville was may main transportation for about 4 years. I really loved that bike but carpal tunnel syndrome and daily near death experiences finally convinced me to let it go.

Nice Bonnie. When they put ABS on them, I will buy one. I really like them.

Honda has a bike, NC750, that has a fully automatic transmission that is easy on the hands. However, the near death experiences are another story.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I've been dirtbiking for 20 years (Since I was 6), and I would be still if I didn't get a fantastic deal on a quad from a cousin of mine. 1987 Yamaha Warrior that's in great shape, but I do still take my dad's 1985 Honda XR250 for the odd spin to keep it fresh. I do plan to get my street licence at some point. When I do I'll likely buy my friend's 2005 Honda CBR600RR from him, but if he sells it before I get my licence I'll probably buy either a Ural 2wd motorcycle with sidecar, or a new Triumph...not sure which model yet, but I really do want a 600R Triple (Big difference between the two I know lol).

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Doc Dan wrote:That is pretty cool seeing your dad in 1949. Was he in the Army Aircorps? He may have just been back from the war. A lot of fighter pilots came home from the war and started riding bikes instead of flying planes. Then, they refused to play by the rules and race in the heavily regulated official motorcycle races; hence the term, outlaw bikers. This is what it originally meant, and did not mean, as it does today, a thug, gangster, or criminal who rides in a motorcycle gang.
He was 4F during WWII and could not join or be drafted. He did join the Merchant Marines and did cargo runs in the Atlantic and Pacific. His brother, my uncle was in the Army Air Corps and served in China in the Flying Tigers. He was a clerk, not a pilot. In 1942 while his brother was still away, my Dad sold his car to buy an Indian Scout...His brother hated bikes. My Dad used the Scout to travel to work where he built planes for the war in Santa Monica, CA. He then joined the Merchant Marines.

After the war he bought an Arial Square Four, then a Knucklehead.....He rode various Knuckleheads and his last one was pinstriped and had some art done by Von Dutch who traded with my Dad for some car parts. Dad sold that bike in 1963ish. He was in a biker gang called the Galloping Gooses which he joined in the late 1940's. In the early 1960's he became a Satan Slave, who later merged with the ****'s Angels. By that time he was married to my Mom and bowed out. When I was a kid there where always ****'s Angels parked in our driveway.

He just turned 89 and still rides....to top it off he rides a bicycle 40 miles twice a week to stay healthy. Eats hamburgers and fried Spam sandwiches. Yet he has never had a health issue and only takes aspirin because his doctor tells him to.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I've been dirtbiking for 20 years (Since I was 6), and I would be still if I didn't get a fantastic deal on a quad from a cousin of mine. 1987 Yamaha Warrior that's in great shape, but I do still take my dad's 1985 Honda XR250 for the odd spin to keep it fresh. I do plan to get my street licence at some point. When I do I'll likely buy my friend's 2005 Honda CBR600RR from him, but if he sells it before I get my licence I'll probably buy either a Ural 2wd motorcycle with sidecar, or a new Triumph...not sure which model yet, but I really do want a 600R Triple (Big difference between the two I know lol).

Just a bit different! The 2WD Ural rigs look like a hoot. Not quick, though. You might not live forever with one but it might feel like it.
I have mates with Triumph triples who looooove them.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I vote for the Triumph triple.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Here's my pair of Yamaha 1000's. Been riding since I was a kid in the early 80's.
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

My Rides.....

Sold the Blade & now ride a 300cc Sym Citicom.

The van is seldom ridden.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Madrookie, let's see some photos of the SYM 300. I was riding a scooter before I bought the Honda. They are very practical as you can put all of your barang barang (gear, stuff you carry) like computers, groceries, helmets, etc. under the seat and in the cargo trunk.

R1Dave, that R1 is pretty sweet, and scary fast, too.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I love the classic and cafe racer-style bikes. I think for now, due to how far out I live, I'm going to get a smallish scooter (a more classic style one if I can find it cheap) to save on gas. Our F150 is a nice old truck and has no problem hauling stuff (the 300 straight 6 is a beast, if not a racing engine) but the milage is not great.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

defenestrate wrote:I love the classic and cafe racer-style bikes. I think for now, due to how far out I live, I'm going to get a smallish scooter (a more classic style one if I can find it cheap) to save on gas. Our F150 is a nice old truck and has no problem hauling stuff (the 300 straight 6 is a beast, if not a racing engine) but the milage is not great.
How far do you drive? In what kind of traffic?
Scooters are nice, but they are balanced differently than motorcycles and stop differently. In a panic stop they can swap ends very easily. I am speaking as a scooter owner. If it were me, I would look for one with anti-lock brakes (ABS) or combined braking (CBS). These stop much safer. Honda has a nice Forenza 300 scooter and a small PCX 150cc scooter. Both offer CBS and great fuel economy. They are loaded with safety features and when you stop for more than a few seconds the engine cuts off to save fuel. When you simply twist the throttle to go, as normal, the engine instantly comes to life and you are on your way just as if the engine had never stopped. Pretty cool.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I've been commuting on a bike for more than 12 years, currently have a BMW 800GS. I do a 90 km round trip during weekdays. Traffic is bad on the main highway between Pretoria and Johannesburg, so I stick to the back roads with a few footpaths and sections of dirt road in the mix... :D

In this pic it was still new, now have about 25k km a year later:
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

doing cams and 103 big bore also added new black italian battery bag with a ape hanger bag and lower swingarm bag and shocks
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice HD Rosconey.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050