Commando training

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DutchBlades

Commando training

Post by DutchBlades »

I've been thinking of climbing the ranks and joining the Dutch commando forces.
Is there anyone on this forum who has had experience with this branch of the army?
I know the training will be the **** on earth for 80 weeks and I want to prepare as much as I can in the upcoming year(s).
I need to be and want to be on my a-game before attempting to join the elites.
The Netherlands, even though a small country, is renowned for their spec ops forces as being one of the best on this planet.

Any tips before I go to bootcamp?
Training, mental state, diet, daily rhythm, or just what knife to carry, etc.

nunc aut nunquam
OldSarSwmr

Re: Commando training

Post by OldSarSwmr »

First I would like to commend you for wanting to serve your country. I don't have experience in regards to the Dutch Commandos but know they have a long and proud history. I do have some experience with high stress training environments though, so here is my two cents.

Take things one step at a time, if you don't have an exercise routine, start one. Basic push ups, crunches, flutterkicks, running and swimming if possible. Start out slow and build from there. Go to boot camp with a willingness to learn and accept that it will be a new experience and another step towards your goal. Push yourself to be the best you can be there. I'm guessing you will have to go to basic army training first before commando training? Never work down to anyone's level, set the bar high for yourself there.

When you graduate boot camp and go to your duty station, again assuming that there will be a lengthy selection process to be selected as a candidate for the commandos, remember your goals! Put everything you have into your current assignment and be a good soldier. Continue training, work on any physical fitness areas that you may be weak in. I have known a lot of guys that could bench press a car but couldn't run or swim short distances without flaking out. Be well rounded in your workouts and it will help with endurance and trust me, ENDURANCE is important!

When you get selected for commando training, go there knowing that you will be tested. You will be uncomfortable, you will hurt, you will question your sanity. Remember your goals. Most people that wash out of high stress training do so because they can't handle the mental aspects of it. You will be surprised about what your body can handle physically, it's your mind that gets the biggest workout though. Remember, they are going to push you past your breaking point, physically and mentally. It's how you respond to it is what makes you. I always told myself that they would have to take me out on a stretcher before I quit.

Let's address quitting, drop on request (DOR), you will see a LOT of people quit and yes, that does have an impact on your mindset. Usually once the first guy drops many will soon follow. Remember your goals are not their goals, maintain your focus. Please do not for a minute think that I am saying that its all about you, it's about you and your teammates. Those that quit just chose to put themselves first. Quitting is the easy part, forcing yourself to endure is much harder.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Remember that there is a reason that the training is hard. Being a member of an elite unit is an honor that has to be earned AND maintained.

As for what knife to carry, don't even worry about that until after training, there are usually rules and regulations regarding that and you will quickly learn what they provide and what you will need afterwards.

Again, best wishes and press on.

Dan
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Dan, I have to give my thanks to you.
This helped me out allot!
I started out the day with endurance training, sadly no swimming.
One of the very first things you need to be able to do is run 3km in under 12mins.
Afterwards you need to swim, climb, run more, push-ups, pull-ups, etc.

Endurance will be the first thing to improve.
I made 2.5k in 13mins, not a bad place to start IMO.
Preparing for the speedmarch of around 50km will be a harder thing to do with 40kg strapped to your back...

I'll keep you updated in this thread ;)
Thanks again!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Don't quit
don't make excuses
don't make mistakes twice
be the guy that stays cheerful and lends a hand to others.

That is what is wanted more than ice cold hard eyed killing machines.

long distance runners do better than weight lifters typically. How do you do keeping your mind straight after little sleep. Can you do long division or algebra after 60 hours being awake? Things like that are important but how you act while overcoming problems is what they are really watching.

Good luck.

:)

Indeed the Dutch do have a good reputation. If you do it and stay you will work with Germans, English, americans, aussies and perhaps some others at times. All are very good.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Staying awake won't be a problem, but my max at running at a somewhat high pace is around 3k.
I'll have to train my endurance in order to make it through the selections.
Thanks for the tips and they will be put to good use! ;)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'm guessing you are talking about joining the Dutch Marines which is very similar to the UK Royal Marines. I worked with military personnel from many countries in the past and I can say they all have certain things in common. Running is going to become your best friend, if it's sunny, raining or snowing, you need to have the mental strength to go out for a run. Probably all the Marines, Para's and Special Forces guys I have met have one thing in common; they are lean as **** (very little body fat).

The fitness is not the only thing though. You need to learn how to clean your room, wash and iron your clothes and clean yourself. The instructors are bastards and they love their jobs, they will always find something wrong (it's their job) and they will punish you for it (usually extra fitness training). The idea is simple; they break you down from what you are now and make you into what they want, a team member and soldier.

The 3kms in 12 minutes is a pretty standard recruit level (about the same in the UK). If I remember correctly if you want to join the French Foreign Legion you need to run 10kms in about 50 mins. I think you should start running 3 or 4 times a week, start with the 3kms and after 2 weeks increase the distance. At least once a week run with a weighted west or rucksack maybe 5 kgs to start. Running with weight will feel really slow but when you take it off it will feel so light and easy. I used to know a Parachute Officer who swore by high intensity training, he would sprint 300m then walk 100m to rest and then go again, he used to do it 12 times and tried to keep the sprints at about 50 seconds each.

Body strength is also important. Push ups, sit ups and pull ups should be done every day (if you have a kids playground near you, you can do it after a run). Also look into buying a kettlebell (16kgs is a good start), some push up bars and learn how to use them (if you have a Decathlon store nearby you can find a lot of good equipment) . Also take some swimming lessons and learn how to climb a rope.

One of the biggest issues for new recruits is injuries. Your feet are going to hurt like ****. Remember they don't make you run in nice comfy training shoes. It might be a good idea to buy a pair of boots similar to the ones you will be issued and train in those. Your feet will take a lot of punishment and will be wet for long periods. Some guys I used to know at school who joined the military used to soak their feet in methylated spirits to make the skin harder before they went to bed, you can try and see if it works for you.

Lastly, try to enjoy it, you only need to do it once and you get a nice coloured beret and friends for life. Oh and don't get a tattoo of your regiment when you pass out, the other guys will laugh at you and don't drink too much Heineken :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The running with a backpack is good idea ;)
I'm gonna get started running every morning, a route I made this morning.
4k in total, so that'll be good to get in the routine.
Regular power training and when it's summer or spring, I can swim every day.
I have a river that's 30secs from my home wich is clean, no current and a good temperature.
Already cut back on smoking 25 a day to about 5 a day since a week or so ago, still going strong :)
Stopped eating/drinking nonsense, just water and regular meals.

I hope that in a year or maybe two I'll be in shape sign up.
I'm just wondering if one can choose to stop signing for some years and get back to it afterwards.
When you're planning on having a child, I wouldn't want to be abroad 70% of the year...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

3 words that men greater than me coined...
"Embrace The Suck"
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

twinboysdad wrote:3 words that men greater than me coined...
"Embrace The Suck"
That sure is something you've gotta deal with.
They say that everything you do, you do for a reason.
When the reason isn't seen at first, embrace the suck and do it anyways.