Low-Alloy Steels

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
wrdwrght

Low-Alloy Steels

Post by wrdwrght »

Given the preference of some here for knives with a low-alloy steel, I'm curious to see what you consider the lowest-alloy steel in your collection REGARDLESS of maker.

No need to be an expert, your best-guess is fair game. Experts, make your case, and be gentle when you correct the guesses of others, so we can actually enjoy the learning.

For added fun, rate (with either assertions of fact or guesses) all the steels in your collection from LOWEST to HIGHEST alloy.

I'm guessing 1095 (ESEE) and O1 (Blind Horse Knives/L.T. Wright Handcrafted Knives) are my lowest alloy steels.

When all is said and done, maybe we'll have a useful idea of steels available for tasks wanting lower alloys. What these tasks might be is a matter for a different thread.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Re: Low-Alloy Steels

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have got some 1095 from Becker and Esee and a 52100 Mule. That is probably my lowest two.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

I have knives which are made from mild steel, 1010 and similar, they are not even hardened, all the way up to 121REX.

The highest (very loose/general type of rating) performance low alloy steels would be custom work in plain carbon steel.

Machetes are quite often mid carbon steels.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Cliff Stamp wrote:I have knives which are made from mild steel, 1010 and similar, they are not even hardened, all the way up to 121REX.

The highest (very loose/general type of rating) performance low alloy steels would be custom work in plain carbon steel.

Machetes are quite often mid carbon steels.
OK, some clarifications...

"mild steel" ~ "mid carbon" ~ "low-alloy" steel?

1010 & 121REX therefore low-alloy steel? 121REX higher, since "all the up to"?

"plain carbon steel = low(est) alloy steel?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Low alloy steels have varying definitions, in general they depend on the total alloy content. Mild steel like 1010 is about the lowest alloy steel you can get as it has a tiny amount of carbon and not much else. 121 REX is about the highest alloy content you can get and is barely a steel.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've got several Japanese dovetail chisels that are made from a laminated "White" steel, which is basically a plain carbon steel. These are hardened into the 59-60 range and take an incredible edge. However, I have to resharpen them after each use - and sometimes hone them during the middle of a work session. Worth it, though... These are lightyears better than the factory-produced chisels from WallyWorld or HomeDespot.

TedP
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

A Shibazi Nr2 Chinese Cleaver in 3Cr13 steel and a modified Cattaraugus 225Q in 1095 steel.
Both see quite a lot of use.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Got a Kabar in 1095 which takes a wicked edge....Holds it too.

Also have a CRKT Sting in drop forged 1050 which takes a good edge too, but blade profile and configuration do not lend it to direct comparisons with more 'sensible' blade shapes.

Knocking around in my Vietnam re-enactment gear I've also got a Boker Navy Mk1 copy in SK5 (which is either 1080 or 1050 equivalent, depending on who you believe) Again, great edge but I think the HT might not be optimal as retention is noticebly an issue on hard materials.

Thinking about it- I've got an M7 bayonet in 1095 too....