ESEE knives (my new one)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

ESEE knives (my new one)

Post by jackknifeh »

I think these are pretty popular so maybe a thread for ESEE knives would be nice. Anyway, here's my new ESEE IZULA II. It is 1095 carbon steel (Rc 55-57). At first I wondered why they didn't increase the Rc with heat treat. I read up on the knives and they didn't want the steel hard enough that it couldn't be sharpened in the field using standard sharpening tools. That makes sense. It also keeps the cost down. Anyway, this is my new work knife. This color is a Knife Works exclusive. The real color is what you see around the handle. The lighting makes the blade look different.

I didn't get the kit which would include things like para-cord, fire steel I think and a few other things for people who spend a lot of time outside. I don't any more but it seems these guys have that covered regarding survival and even escape and evasion. I'm thinking about getting an ESEE-3 or maybe a 4. The Candiru (smaller knife) looks pretty cool also. Candiru without handles (to keep it slim) might be a good neck knife. The IZULA is a bit big for me. Neck carry is great IMO given the proper attire but I'm afraid I'd stab myself re-sheathing it. :eek: :mad: :)

The handle scales come right off making this a great knife for new handle projects. :D

The belt clip was extra.

Jack
rodloos

Re: ESEE knives (my new one)

Post by rodloos »

Congrats on the Izula II. ESEE is a great company too, and while I don't have as many of them as I do Spyderco's, it's still quite a few (More than 20, less than 50 :) ).

I think ESEE doesn't shoot for more hardness in their 1094 because with their unconditional warranty, they have to consider the idiots who intentionally abuse their blades, even shooting a gun at them and then asking for warranty replacement, etc. They work pretty well for their target use of outdoor/survival type knives. With the epoxy coating they don't slice quite as smoothly as some, but they are releasing at least a couple of models in stainless as well, and they offer at least the ESEE 4 uncoated as well.

The Candiru is kind of fun too. Pretty tough for such a small knife. First released with cordura sheath, some of the newer ones come with a plastic molded sheath similar to the one the Izula comes with. Named for a parasitic catfish native to the Amazon region that is famous for its reputation of swimming up your nether regions :eek: .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Nice and I like the sheath as well or better than the knife. The sheath is what seals the deal for me on a fixed blade. I wouldn't have a leather or nylon sheath. On a folder the same goes for the pocket clip. You couldn't give me a knife free of charge that had the clip mounted for tip down csrry
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a big Esee fan and have used an izula (the smaller one) quite a bit. They are tempered in that range for toughness. It is almost a spring temper if I am correct. Look for some extreme testing on either Esee or Becker knives and it is pretty amazing really. They are easy to sharpen and basically indestructible.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My ESEE-6 and Izula-II are proven beaters. I love 'em. When ESEE, like Spyderco, announces something new, I have real trouble saying no.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice knife. Alabama quality shines.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I have the Izula 2 as well and like it a lot. I always wondered what a collaboration between Spyderco and Esee would look like, probably something SpySee (spicy) :p

Anyone heard any news about the Izula folder? Here's a pic I saw

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

bearfacedkiller wrote:They are tempered in that range for toughness.
Exactly. 1095, and most of the low alloy steels, are subject to embrittlement when tempered ~500 F. This means you have to go under that, or over it. Ironically that is the exact temperature which produces the 60 HRC which so many people believe is some kind of ideal for knives. In this case when you draw 1095 down to that hardness you not only lose strength but also toughness.

ESEE tempers above that to avoid the embrittlement and produce a very tough blade which is also easy to grind. Now it does sacrifice some edge holding at high sharpness, but most people don't buy those tools for very fine carving/detail work, more as heavier use blades which have to be able to resist demanding cutting conditions. For light use blades there are better choices as long as you can deal with the sharpening issues of lower grindability steels.

Randall is also a pretty interesting guy and one of the more frank guys in the industry. He is the type of guy that will say things like he makes a knife because people demand/ask for it, but he would actually recommend a much more basic/inexpensive product.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have actually used my BK14 quite a bit more than my Izula but they are very similar. The BK14 is called the Eskabar and is a collaboration between Kabar/Becker and Esee which which is where the Eskabar name comes from Esee + Kabar = Eskabar. You can see that it even says Esee on the tang but instaed of being made by Rowen it is made by Kabar. It is also 1095 with a very similar heat treatment. Great knives.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?