"Titanium-Coated" Scissors?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

"Titanium-Coated" Scissors?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have been noticing, over the past 10 or so years, an increase in relatively inexpensive/cheap scissors and shears and other cutting tools, where the ads say "Titanium Coating" and then go on to make it sound as if their scissors are super-duper. Is most of this hype and has no reality? Is it like a low-cost but real titanium coating that coats cheap stainless steel blades, and over time this wears off? I know there are higher-cost diamond like coatings and titanium nitride coatings on knives and such, but let me give you an example of what I mean:

http://www.cvs.com/shop/household-groce ... uid-687874" target="_blank

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 00NU-00057" target="_blank

" All-purpose office scissors with titanium blades. Titanium blades stay sharper and last longer. Resists stickiness of glue and tape for smooth precision cut. Soft, rubber grip handles enable exact and comfortable cutting. Cut Length: 3 in; Scissor Length: 7 in; Tip Type: Pointed; Handle Type: Straight. "

Is this real titanium but still low-quality? I mean, under ten dollars for titanium. But it is not a titanium alloy, like beta titanium. It says coated.
The Deacon

Re: "Titanium-Coated" Scissors?

Post by The Deacon »

Since it's described as a coating and looks tan in color, I suspect that it's gold titanium nitrate rather than metallic titanium. I severely doubt that it delivers any of the benefits claimed for it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

These are not titanium but titanium nitride or similar coatings.

They work ok for scissors as long as you use them on very soft material only. If you want to know if they will work better for you then here is a simple test :

-look at your current scissors, do you see any damage to the edge, any dents, deflections or chips

If the answer to this is yes then you will likely not see an improvement from the coated blades as they tend to use softer/weaker steel and just coat it so it will actually dent/deflect more. However if your scissors are only used on soft things like paper/fabrics and they have no damage to the edge, just light wear, then you might see benefit from the coating.

I have not used every brand, just a few of them and there is varied performance. Some of them don't have the coating evenly applied, it can be over the edge and blunt the apex, or it can not go up to the apex, or it can be ground off when they sharpened it, etc. .

In general, unless you really want something curious to play with, you are better getting a decently functional pair of scissors and just learning how to sharpen them, which isn't difficult at all. If you can actually do anything functional craft wise then that is much more skill/knowledge than it takes to sharpen the scissors you use to do it.
Studey

Post by Studey »

It's marketing hype. People know Ti is high tech, so they often assume its some super metal. To the lay person, Ti blades staying sharp longer sounds completely reasonable.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I use scissors a lot at work (for sewing). The "titanium coated" business is just a sales pitch. I prefer a good old fashioned pair of sewing scissors, because they last longer (through repeated sharpening). The "titanium coating" just wears off and then the scissors are pretty lousy.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Google on Wenger Swissors, one of the few scissors with replaceable titanium nitride blades that cut really well and also much longer than standard steel scissors.
Do buy the serrated replacement blades when you work with hard to cut fabrics like Kevlar etc, as those fibers tend to slide on the edges of the standard Swissor blades (and blunt uncoated standard steel scissor edges really fast)
Otherwise you will do fine with the standard plain edged coated blades.
I sold quite a few of these in the past to various professional sewing studio's & ballroom/swimwear/dress- and flagmakers, and based on their feedback these really worked for them.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Kwakster, are these the Wenger Swissors?

http://www.kyon.ch/current-products/swissors" target="_blank

Those are amazing but expensive, and I am sure they are worth the price.
Very cool, thank you